• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 Marvel FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #1 Jack Kirby Original Art for Sale

12 posts in this topic

I put up a Jack Kirby 1963 Fantastic Four piece on Comic Link for their MAY 2014 Feature Auction starting 05/14/14...and ending on 05/29/14...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2014may%26itemtype%3D1%26x%3D14%26y%3D5%26pg%3D4%23Item_1012925&id=1012925

Fantastic Four Annual #1 - Page #44

* Twice Up Silver Age Original Art / Image Area: 12.5" x 18.5"

* Released September 1963 (same date which Fantastic Four #18 was released)

* Written by Stan Lee, Pencils by Jack Kirby, Inks by Sol Brodsky

* Splash Page / Pin-Up entitled "Inside the Baxter Building"

* Signed by Jack Kirby. Since he's deceased, and a legend, it maybe is notable and a value add, and anyone who wanted to get this signed by Stan Lee subsequently would have a great piece signed by the tandem.

* Architectural Diagram / Detailed Floorplan / Design - I think this would be very appealing to a professional who is into architecture who collects original art.

* Wikipedia listing with some trivia on the Baxter Building: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baxter_Building

I think it will break 10k...

It's near the halfway point to your prediction at $4,900 with 9 days left to go.

As most people know, intense bidding doesn't occur until the day of the end of the auction and hours if not minutes and seconds before it closes.

I'm not sure how to gauge "pacing" - but it seems the "half-life" of the value of higher end pieces is sometimes the day before the auction ends, where when in the frenzy of the bidding war the price may end up double for which it was the day before. So, your estimate might be right.

This is Comic Link, which is like eBay in that it has a finite timed end, as opposed to the Heritage "going once, going twice, wait... another bid... going once going, twice, sold" model of live auctions where there's less chances of getting sniped, so with Comic Link and being online, I think people tend to not wait 'til the very last minute or seconds in fear of systems crashing or missing out by getting sniped, and tend to put their bids in higher as best offers to ensure they're represented properly with a forthright bid to win.

Currently at $7,700.

The online auction End Date: 5/29/2014 9:35:40 PM

It's a finite timed auction that ends like how an eBay auction does, so there's no "going once, going twice, WAIT..." the auction ends when it ends and the highest bidder takes it home.

Strategically it can be sniped, but in the same breath can be lost quite easily, so those who are casual about it may bid early and put forth their best offers win, lose or draw. Those who want it for resale may try to snipe it to get it at the lowest possible price. And for the collector who just wants to own it, they'd be best off waiting 'til the end but not mere seconds before the auction closes, but minutes before and get ready to place the maximum bid they're willing to pay and let the dice roll rather than be penny wise and pound foolish in an attempt to snipe and risk losing out by a few dollars.

This ends on Thursday This Week, 05/29 roughly at

3:30pm in Hawaii

6:30pm pst USA or

7:30pm mst USA or

8:30pm cst USA or

9:30pm est USA

And for those international bidders, consult with your time zone conversion charts.

Good Luck !!!