• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of Those Random LCS Finds

3 posts in this topic

This is a modest story about a modest find, but it's little things like this that keep me digging through bins.

I went to an LCS I hadn't visited in over a year because there really wasn't much reason to do so. The store caters more to gaming than to comics nowadays, but still has about 40 long boxes of back issues. They had clearly been picked clean of all the hot modern/coppers.

I was making my way alphabetically through the bins and got to the DC Comics Presents divider. I certainly didn't expect to find a 26, but hoped maybe a 27 or just maybe a 47. The lowest numbers at the front were in the 30s. I flipped through - 44, 45, 48. Oh well. I got to 50 and was going to give up but went one more.

And there in the middle of the section was a DC Comics Presents #1. Price tag $3. I assumed it was a beater but I looked closely and only saw minor wear. It was boarded and I figured there was a good chance of a defect on the back cover but for $3 I thought, "What the heck?" I'd just wait til I got home to find out what was wrong.

When I got it home, I took it out and... no hidden defects. Some slight browning along the bottom spine on the back cover, but no other problems. It's probably a VF and has no color-breaking defects so I think it could press up to a 9.0, not that it's worth pressing. It won't go higher than 9.0 because of the slight browning.

For $3, heck, I'll take a nice copy of one of the Flash-Superman races.

Also got a 9.2 copy of Eternals #1 (1976) for $6 and several 9.0-9.2 Kull the Conqueror/Destroyers for $3 apiece. And a Hulk 377 2nd print in NM for $2.

But the DC Comics Presents #1 find just made me happy. No deals like that left online. I'll be reading it tonight.