• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUNDOWNERS by Tim Seeley (Writer) and Jim Terry (Artist) [Dark Horse]

20 posts in this topic

Written by: Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash, Revival, Batman External)

Art by: Jim Terry (The Crow)

Publisher: Dark Horse

#1 Release Date: Aug-2014

SUNDOWN-1-FC-FNL-9554a.jpg

Link to larger image

Summary by Tim Seeley:

It's a really weird book. [Laughs] If I had to give it a high concept pitch, I'd say it's like "They Live" meets "Doom Patrol." It's a horror comic first, but it has superheroes in it. It's about a group of people who meet every week for a support group called Sundowners. It's run by a crooked psychiatrist who believes all these people suffer from a disease where they see things that aren't there -- evils that don't really exist -- and put on costumes to deal with the illusion. It's a syndrome they all have, in his opinion. But in reality, they might be crazy or they might be the only ones who know about a secret invasion by interdimensional aliens. So it's got a feel like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with some elements from "Kick-" mixed in.

The way the book developed was me noticing these people who want to be superheroes in the real world and dressing up in costumes and running around the street. We have this thing that happens now where people actually walk around dressed as superheroes. And if that's you, you are considered crazy. [Laughs] There's definitely something wrong with you there. In comics, we never question people doing that. It looks great on paper, but in the real world, it's nuts. This book is all about that line in between. These people are clearly trying to help the world, but are they mentally ill?

Source of Summary -- Mid-March-2014 -- CBR Article

Thank you Jeff B. for correcting me on the new release date.

Changed from July to August. Here is the solicitation...

NEW ONGOING SERIES!

Sundowners #1

Tim Seeley (W), Jim Terry (A), Sean Dove ©, and Chris Brunner (Cover)

On sale Aug 27

FC, 32 pages

$3.50

Ongoing

Faster than lightning! Stronger than steel! Crazier than an outhouse rat? Enter the Sundowners—sworn to protect humanity from interdimensional invaders! But is the threat real, or is it all in their heads?

• From Tim Seeley (Revival, Hack/Slash, The Occultist)!

• A dark look at the thin line between heroism and insanity!

http://timseeleyart.blogspot.com/2014/07/original-designs-for-sundowers.html?view=classic

Tim mentions the "Men's Bathroom" symbol on Concerned Citizen's chest.

Thanks for the link (images of Tim Seeley's sketchbook). Excerpt is below.

"citizen symobl" -- humoously similar to men's bathroom symbol-- he doesn't see it.

lol

Writing: I enjoyed it like any other piece of Tim Seeley work. Some good set up for plot while still funny & entertaining.

Art: It's okay. Doesn't surprise me; doesn't bother me.

Colors: It's as if they had a pack of 52 markers. And all the good colors are all out of ink and what's left are the crappier colors. It makes for a unique look, but I don't know how I feel about it.

Letters: On the monologues, I like to see each character has it's own background color.

I'll still speculate on this book, but not much; more in spoiler tag

So.... you have a team of legit super heroes who are easy to deem as Joe Schmo's with paranoia & other social disorders. But in reality, they truly have super powers. I predict the first 2 story arcs will cover the SunDowners identifying & fine tuning their own respective super powers.

As a speculator, I feel I am betting on Seeley being able to build some good characters ala HitGirl in Kick .

I don't see SunDownwers as being a money maker on the future Resell market but I look forward to reading the story.

I just now realized I misinterpreted the first two pages of the first issue. That blond is not Andrea. It's 'The Pigeon'.

'The Pigeon' left her super hero role to become the Illuminatrix; she is one of (or the) main villains.

I got around to reading issues 2 and 3.

The colors remain unique; the covers are great examples. The colors are growing on me.

The writing is great much like Tim Seeley's other work.

I can't remember if I bought this...

I think they are in my reading boxes, but I need to check.

How did everyone like it?

Another book that wasn't for me - I think Seeley deserves a big popular hit, but I knew after three issues that this wouldn't be it.