• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS - White Glove Service - Guess the condition of the slab

Guess the condition!  

477 members have voted

1. 1. Guess the condition!

41 posts in this topic

+2

I had some high grade S.S.W.S. marked like that on the box for a customer. he sent me pics of the box when it arrived. you could just tell where they held the box with two hands where it said " do not bend " and bent it right in half.

Never label anything as fragile. The word is a magnet for destruction.

fragile-isn't that Italian?

The slab is designed in such a way as to allow for the comic to breathe and drink water.

didn't hurt that it was a Sub-Mariner book either

I've had similar success with Little Mermaid and Aquaman books

(dripping with sarcasm, like I would ever own a freaking Aquaman anything)

To all the bubble mailer guys in the Copper age thread.This is why you box your books. :baiting:

I would never put a slab in an envelope. That thread we are talking about raw comics.

-slym

+1 Never send a slab in an envelope. We were talking about books, not slabs.

Based on the image, the box suffered damage from the mechanical handling in the post office process, not from human handling.

I'm sorry, but no handling process, mechanical, human or other wise should ever inflict that kind of damage to a package. Damage like that is caused by one thing: NEGLIGENCE!

I will come back with the answer soon. Also, I should note that the outer box was wet and soggy.....

At least we know know what it takes to get you to post here. hm

Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.

To all the bubble mailer guys in the Copper age thread.This is why you box your books. :baiting:

I would never put a slab in an envelope. That thread we are talking about raw comics.

-slym

+1 Never send a slab in an envelope. We were talking about books, not slabs.

All is relevant. :idea:

I will come back with the answer soon. Also, I should note that the outer box was wet and soggy.....

At least we know know what it takes to get you to post here. hm

Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.

All is well thanks! The Mrs is fine and we have 2 little ones now which keeps us very busy! Yea, I lurk here often but seldom post.

Hope all is well with you also.

Bubble wrap, not double boxing, is the salvation of slabs. The 1092 box is too small. Just use lots of bubble wrap, and the 1095 box will do you just fine.

Perhaps, but living in an apartment in NYC, space is a huge issue. My shipping process needs to be quick, efficient, and take up the least space possible. Having big rolls of bubble wrap in the apartment is not going to fly. With a 99% success rate (1 crack per 100) I think I will stick to my method.

Bubble wrap, not double boxing, is the salvation of slabs. The 1092 box is too small. Just use lots of bubble wrap, and the 1095 box will do you just fine.

Perhaps, but living in an apartment in NYC, space is a huge issue. My shipping process needs to be quick, efficient, and take up the least space possible. Having big rolls of bubble wrap in the apartment is not going to fly. With a 99% success rate (1 crack per 100) I think I will stick to my method.

By all means. But cracks/chips are much more common with the double box method. Banging against a hard side, no matter what it is, that will always be true. Why do you need rolls, plural? I would imagine one roll at a time is fine.

:whee:

Ok - thanks to all those that played! :whee:

And the winner is ..... ^^

Case and comic looking good!

My shipping method is:

- Slab in a bubble mailer sealed tight around the slab

- Bubble mailer taped to inside of the inside box (reduces the need for extra bubble wrap and allows for "float" so no jarring when the post man drops the box)

- Double Boxed (1092 box in a 1095 box)

- Packing peanuts at top and bottom of inner box so it does not slide within the outer box (this also allows for "float" which prevents jarring)

The above allows for a single slab to stay just under 2 pounds so this saves on USPS fees!

I get a cracked case about once per 100 sent

I think what we need to ascertain whether the books sustained any damages is to have before and after photos or scans of the book, in particular the corners and edges which is where most of SCS damage manifest itself.

In that case, don't worry about it. Don't ask, if he's happy with the book, let it be, no need to give him something to worry about.

The buyer seems very sophisticated - he likely gave the comic a good once over before sounding the all clear

In that case, don't worry about it. Don't ask, if he's happy with the book, let it be, no need to give him something to worry about.

The buyer seems very sophisticated - he likely gave the comic a good once over before sounding the all clear

(thumbs u

Every box or envelope that has some marking to not bend or fragile that I have ever received has arrived unscathed.

You don't often see people posting look at my box, it had no markings yet arrived like *spoon* but somehow if even one box with the words fragile arrives banged up, its an indictment of the USPS. Fedex, UPS, Cadogan Tate, you name it, they've probably *spooned* up.