• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best book to be signed and CGC'd by stan lee?

20 posts in this topic

hey guys. i'm new here, i don't know if this topic has already been talked about, but i can't seem to find it anywhere so yeah i thought i might just ask. anyway, in your opinion what's the best book do you think would be great to have it signed and graded by stan lee? i'm planning to get my first slabbed stan lee book in the future, since cgc is kinda expensive for me i would like to get something that's really special. also, which one do you think is more valuable, a CGC SS lower grade silver age (less than 9.0) book written by him or a CGC SS high grade of any moderns (let's say like first app/stan lee cover)?

'best' is subjective, you should define your parameters or you're gonna get too many different types of answers.

Some suggested preference parameters:

Price range?

Quick Flip for profit?

Rarity?

Keyness?

Long term value?

Speculation value?

Display (what looks cool)

Discussion (people will come over to your house and notice and talk about it)

Sentimental value to your favorite storyline or character?

I think most people say to get what you like according to your preferences. But my guess is that an Amazing Spider Man #1 CGC SS 8.5 will probably cover all of your bases. So that is my suggestion.

thanks for the input guys. i would say my budget would be around $200-$300. i was thinking about getting low grade of ASM #33/#100 as for silver age, but for modern i'm thinking of ASM #300/#692 fan expo. any suggestion?

First off, thank you for asking! I am appalled at how many books Stan has signed that he has/had nothing to do with. Right now roughly 31% of all the CGC SS books on eBay are signed by Stan (search "CGC SS" and got 6,709 add the parameter "-Stan Lee" and had 4,653 hits) Above all, I would stay away from:

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Anything that showcases the black costume Spider-Man
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

Everybody seems to think these are unique and/or interesting. Why Wolverine or Punisher? He had nothing to do with either of them! Same with Cap. If you are after a one-and-only for your collection, I would stick to something he either worked directly on or appears on the cover of. I like your Fan Expo choice, but if you want to go cheaper, you could get Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man, the only problem is the cover is a little busy and the signature may hard to see. There is a Fan Expo variant of ASM #638 that has a white background but the image of Spidey carrying Stan, which is ideal for a Stan sig.

One of my personal favorites are reprints. You get the classic cover/character from a book that he worked on without having to shell out a fortune. Marvel Milestones are great for this but can be tough to find in high grade. If you have time to hunt one one down, there are German reprints of FF 1, AF 15, ASM 1, Avengers 1, and X-Men 1. Classic covers and decent grades but a lot of the text is in German. There are also some German books that have only Alex Ross' version of some classic covers with little or no text at all and they are gorgeous with Stan sigs on them. I like the No-Prize book, and would like to get one done, but haven't found one to suit my taste grade-wise.

First off, thank you for asking! I am appalled at how many books Stan has signed that he has/had nothing to do with. Right now roughly 31% of all the CGC SS books on eBay are signed by Stan (search "CGC SS" and got 6,709 add the parameter "-Stan Lee" and had 4,653 hits) Above all, I would stay away from:

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

Everybody seems to think these are unique and/or interesting. Why Wolverine or Punisher? He had nothing to do with either of them! Same with Cap. If you are after a one-and-only for your collection, I would stick to something he either worked directly on or appears on the cover of. I like your Fan Expo choice, but if you want to go cheaper, you could get Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man, the only problem is the cover is a little busy and the signature may hard to see. There is a Fan Expo variant of ASM #638 that has a white background but the image of Spidey carrying Stan, which is ideal for a Stan sig.

One of my personal favorites are reprints. You get the classic cover/character from a book that he worked on without having to shell out a fortune. Marvel Milestones are great for this but can be tough to find in high grade. If you have time to hunt one one down, there are German reprints of FF 1, AF 15, ASM 1, Avengers 1, and X-Men 1. Classic covers and decent grades but a lot of the text is in German. There are also some German books that have only Alex Ross' version of some classic covers with little or no text at all and they are gorgeous with Stan sigs on them. I like the No-Prize book, and would like to get one done, but haven't found one to suit my taste grade-wise.

I got nervous for a minute....

wi8wic.jpg

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

I got nervous for a minute....

wi8wic.jpg

Sorry, I was thinking Golden Age/anniversary books where he had no contribution. A major pet peeve of mine is having him sign the Milestone Edition Cap #1. He didn't do anything with Cap until #3 and that was a text story.

Doug,

What are your thoughts on Stan signing Wolverine books?

It's fine, I just think a great many people are going to be sorely disappointed in the future.

It's sort of like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory saying he wanted to have Stan Lee sign his Batman comic. When asked why, since Stan had nothing to do with the book or Batman in general, he stated that it would be unique. It was a good joke but people are actually doing it! I can't believe how stupid and short-sighted so many people can be.

Sorry, I was thinking Golden Age/anniversary books where he had no contribution. A major pet peeve of mine is having him sign the Milestone Edition Cap #1. He didn't do anything with Cap until #3 and that was a text story.

Totally agree

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

Stan lee came up with the punishers name. He was going to be the executioner at first. John romita sr of course first drew him, Conway told the story and Stan came up with the name. I believe Andru did the inking.

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

woah thanks for the suggestions!! quick question though, why do you think it's best to stay away with the black costume spidey?

• Wolverine
  • Punisher
  • Wolverine
  • Image books
  • His DC contributions
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine
  • Captain America

woah thanks for the suggestions!! quick question though, why do you think it's best to stay away with the black costume spidey?

You need to go with comics Stan Lee actually wrote or he is featured on the cover. Considering there are millions of his signatures on the market once he passes away certain ones will be worth more than others. Most likely in this order will be worth the most.

1. Captain America #3 (1940's) - first work in comics

2. Mega Key Issues he wrote

X-Men #1, Fantastic Four #1, and Amazing Fantasy #15

3. Key Issues he wrote like Fantastic Four #48 and etc.

4. Non Key Issues he wrote

5. Comics he is on the cover.

Can't say how sick it makes me when I see a Incredible Hulk #181 and New Mutants #98 signed by him

I like the No-Prize book, and would like to get one done, but haven't found one to suit my taste grade-wise.

I picked up this No-Prize book last year for $16.28 on eBay. It was listed as:

CGC 9.8 MINT STAN LEE AS DR DOOM COVER MARVEL COMIC BOOK

I have plans to have it Signed and Slabbed later this year.

reholder1.jpg