• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC SS my ASM #1 - should I or shouldn't I?

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I posted on another thread that I was thinking about getting my Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC graded, however I also have an opportunity to get it signed through official CGC channels at the London film and comic con in July.

The issue I have is whether this would potentially devalue the comic or not? Has there been any evidence to show a Stan Lee signature has increased the value of an already rare key issue? Or should I keep it au natural?

Thoughts appreciated and sorry if this has been covered a million times before...

147291.jpg.24507aa9b86ac8622e9b393e38ee9a76.jpg

147292.jpg.dfb9c90132872fe539749615e81359b3.jpg

My thinking is always that after a certain time there will be no more new Stan Lee signatures and the ones out there will be a finite, even if large number. Therefore even if there are less people looking to buy it because it is signed, there will always be more people that want a signed copy than have signed copies.

I wouldn't. I'm a fan of SS in general, but valuable books, I'd avoid. He signs everything, literally everything. Market keeps getting flooded while he's around. I cannot imagine a scenario where his sig would drive up the price. It's an ASM 1, my thinking is it will always be more appealing not signed.

here's what it always comes down to.

A Stan Lee sig does increase the value of the book, because a Stan Lee sig (and SS submission) costs money. Stan's sigs on keys seem to add additional value to the book beyond the cost of creating it.

The downside is that the market looking to buy a signed ASM1 is smaller than the market looking to buy a unsigned ASM1. So by getting your book signed you are shrinking your buyer base.

So if you wanna get it signed, and are ok with the idea that it might be a little harder to move should you decide to sell it, go for it!

I wouldn't. I'm a fan of SS in general, but valuable books, I'd avoid. He signs everything, literally everything. Market keeps getting flooded while he's around. I cannot imagine a scenario where his sig would drive up the price. It's an ASM 1, my thinking is it will always be more appealing not signed.

+ 1 on what he says. i think that book is better without stan lee sig.

Thanks for the comments guys - there seems to be a 50-50 split on whether I should or not with some good arguments either way..

It's a shame there's no record of sales of CGC signed and unsigned issues for comparison.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not just doing this to make some money but as a long term investment that I will eventually sell on it would be good to know whether Stan's signature will affect the value in a positive or negative way...