• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Wolverine Page sells for $657,000!

195 posts in this topic

Very important piece of art. We are very fortunate that we "started" this hobby and thus the most pivotal pieces remain in private hands. Eventually, the museums will wake up and look to acquire these from collectors who pass. Congratulations to the buyer!

Anyone know who the buyer was? I wonder if it's an artist.

I thought for sure it must be (choose one):

Hugh Jackman

Eminem

Kobe Bryant

Kirk Hammett

Stephen Spielberg

George Lucas

Samuel Jackson

Leo DiCaprio

Bill Gates

Paul Allen

Mark Zuckerberg

Steve Jobs

The odd thing to me is I have never, ever, heard anyone say that the last page of Hulk 180 was their grail. I don't recall anyone in all the CAF interviews done saying this was one of the top 5 pieces they coveted. This piece, as historical as it may be, if an afterthought to most all OA collectors. Do they want it when they see it? Yes,of course. But it is no one's true grail as far as I can tell. No one's!

Eventually, the museums will wake up and look to acquire these from collectors who pass.

100% agree. With many museums showing all of these "fine" and "modern" art exhibits, sometimes featuring mind baffling pieces that looks the work of an infant with a can of paint now called "abstract" and the artist "genius" there is certainly room in the same galleries for these somewhat historical renderins of pop culture and definitely room for value growth by leaps and bounds for certain artists and pieces.

I do think the general non comic collecting public will eventually be intrigued by the art, not just super hero, but the old EC horror and the category I see most undervalued potential is the cheesy romance art, reminiscent of the Roy Liectenstein art (and some of the original material he swiped).

I see original comic art as being in it's infancy as an investment category still, with

It's of room for explosive potential with the right material, and even some of the moderate to mediocre material still with profit potential that comes along with the ride if OA is quickly acknowledged by the masses as a desired pursuit.

I would certainly put grail status on it :)

I think you are making my point. After we see it, yes everyone calls it a grail. But prior to it showing up no one ever mentioned it as a page they would want above all others.

And we are using the word grail differently I think. If you put grail status on it, you mean you would take it over pages from 181? AF15? etc.?

I myself would probably prefer over 100 other pages to own before I got to this one. They would not be as valuable, but that is not what we are talking about.

Eventually, the museums will wake up and look to acquire these from collectors who pass.

100% agree. With many museums showing all of these "fine" and "modern" art exhibits, sometimes featuring mind baffling pieces that looks the work of an infant with a can of paint now called "abstract" and the artist "genius" there is certainly room in the same galleries for these somewhat historical renderins of pop culture and definitely room for value growth by leaps and bounds for certain artists and pieces.

I do think the general non comic collecting public will eventually be intrigued by the art, not just super hero, but the old EC horror and the category I see most undervalued potential is the cheesy romance art, reminiscent of the Roy Liectenstein art (and some of the original material he swiped).

I see original comic art as being in it's infancy as an investment category still, with

It's of room for explosive potential with the right material, and even some of the moderate to mediocre material still with profit potential that comes along with the ride if OA is quickly acknowledged by the masses as a desired pursuit.

I can just see the synapses in Gene`s brain imploding! lol

Counting down to his ripostes...

3... 2... 1...

The odd thing to me is I have never, ever, heard anyone say that the last page of Hulk 180 was their grail. I don't recall anyone in all the CAF interviews done saying this was one of the top 5 pieces they coveted. This piece, as historical as it may be, if an afterthought to most all OA collectors. Do they want it when they see it? Yes,of course. But it is no one's true grail as far as I can tell. No one's!

In certain terms it is not so odd...

One of the rules of savvy negotiation is to not show your cards.

I think whoever is buying a high profile pice would want to temper the marketplace and show as little interest and draw the least amount of attention so to avoid the prices climbing on hype.

It's counter productive to get excited and publicly fall in love with anything you are buying in front of the seller or in this case the competition. It goes by the adage "you have more to lose than to gain" when it comes to talking aloud of your intentions when dealing with purchase like this. It's the very reason why people wait until the end to bid or "snipe" as they say with timed auctions and fly underneath the radar.

The term "grail" is an overused and subjective term nonetheless, as it means different things to different people. If you polled every collector, without leading context but only the question "What 10 pieces of art would you consider to be the grains of the hobby?" you would not get majority consensus agreement. There's too many fractions. Some love golden age, silver age or even just modern age. Some hate Kirby, Ditko and Romita but love Campbell, Turner, McFarlane and Lee, while there are fans of Miller, Byrne and Adams. Some love DC and Batman, where others love Marvel and Spider-Man. Some will name pieces based on legacy and state what they think others want to hear, where others will name what is important to them personally.

I think on a separate note, for this piece a fun question would be...

"If you could have this Hulk 180 page, but never the ability to ever trade or sell it, but just own it, would you rather have..." :

A) The Hulk #180 1st Wolverine page original art (with no prospects of profiteering off of it)

B) A free home, valued at $500,000 paid for, so you never fret about mortgage nor rent, can even use it as investment or rental property, but are responsible for property taxes and upkeep of course.

C) $300,000 in cash to spend on whatever you want whenever you want

Or

D) To meet a true romantic soulmate and life partner who loves you with equal passion (this option may be less desirable for those who are already in happy relationships, but based on going to comic conventions, this seemed like an option worth throwing out there to those whore are married n' miserable or the socially akward single folks desiring love)

???

I would certainly put grail status on it :)

I think you are making my point. After we see it, yes everyone calls it a grail. But prior to it showing up no one ever mentioned it as a page they would want above all others.

And we are using the word grail differently I think. If you put grail status on it, you mean you would take it over pages from 181? AF15? etc.?

I myself would probably prefer over 100 other pages to own before I got to this one. They would not be as valuable, but that is not what we are talking about.

Agreed. This was bought for its historic importance, but not as a result of any long search and coveting, a la the holy grail. No one was looking for this page. No one. Over the years, I know people really wanted to find pages from Hulk 181, X-Men 94 and ASM 129, but never this issue. That doesn't diminish its importance, though, and it is that importance to the hobby as a whole that is being paid for. I think this is the point you're making, and I would agree. But, it doesn't matter. As time goes by, there will be more buying for historic importance than for nostalgia, I think, as the truly classic or important pieces will rise as the nostalgia waves come and go.

In certain terms it is not so odd...

One of the rules of savvy negotiation is to not show your cards.

I think whoever is buying a high profile pice would want to temper the marketplace and show as little interest and draw the least amount of attention so to avoid the prices climbing on hype.

It's counter productive to get excited and publicly fall in love with anything you are buying in front of the seller or in this case the competition. It goes by the adage "you have more to lose than to gain" when it comes to talking aloud of your intentions when dealing with purchase like this. It's the very reason why people wait until the end to bid or "snipe" as they say with timed auctions and fly underneath the radar.

The term "grail" is an overused and subjective term nonetheless, as it means different things to different people. If you polled every collector, without leading context but only the question "What 10 pieces of art would you consider to be the grains of the hobby?" you would not get majority consensus agreement. There's too many fractions. Some love golden age, silver age or even just modern age. Some hate Kirby, Ditko and Romita but love Campbell, Turner, McFarlane and Lee, while there are fans of Miller, Byrne and Adams. Some love DC and Batman, where others love Marvel and Spider-Man. Some will name pieces based on legacy and state what they think others want to hear, where others will name what is important to them personally.

"If you could have this Hulk 180 page, but never the ability to ever trade or sell it, but just own it, would you rather have..." :

A) The Hulk #180 1st Wolverine page original art (with no prospects of profiteering off of it)

B) A free home, valued at $500,000 paid for, so you never fret about mortgage nor rent, can even use it as investment or rental property, but are responsible for property taxes and upkeep of course.

Or

D) To meet a true romantic soulmate and life partner who loves you with equal passion (this option may be less desirable for those who are already in happy relationships, but based on going to comic conventions, this seemed like an option worth throwing out there to those whore are married n' miserable or the socially akward single folks desiring love)

???

I'll take "E", a classic Silver Age cover everyone knows, recognizes and loves. For example, ASM 50. A display piece, to boot.

!

Or

???

I'll take "E", a classic Silver Age cover everyone knows, recognizes and loves. For example, ASM 50. A display piece, to boot.

Technically "E" would be "C" and you can use the $300,000 to buy a silver age cover :)

I think a number of collectors would claim the Hulk #181 cover as their grail. But, with that still M.I.A., this might have been the next best thing. And, even at $657K, cheaper too!