• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOTOR CITY COMIC CON, May 15-17, 2015, Novi, MI.

43 posts in this topic

Any tips for this show for a first timer? Thinking about taking my girlfriend with me for the weekend. Any hotels better than other price/convenience wise?

There's a hotel connected to the Rock Showplace. If last year is any indication of how bad traffic and parking will be getting in, you may want to consider that.

It was brutal.

Any tips for this show for a first timer? Thinking about taking my girlfriend with me for the weekend. Any hotels better than other price/convenience wise?

There's a hotel connected to the Rock Showplace. If last year is any indication of how bad traffic and parking will be getting in, you may want to consider that.

It was brutal.

More brutal than your last CGC submission?

It was brutal.

More brutal than your last CGC submission?

Likely not, but very close!

It was brutal.

Yeah, cause people want to sleep at a con. :baiting:

I forgot about that one, actually. The Hyatt.

That's probably why the Crowne Plaza still had rooms available.

Is anyone staying at the one at the Rock Showplace (or Suburban as it's now called)?

It was brutal.

The hotel connected to the con has been sold out for months. There's a bunch of hotels a couple miles east, across Novi Road, my wife and I are at a Courtyard by Marriot on the south side of the clump. Nice hotel, and affordable, we stay there every year.

It was brutal.

The hotel connected to the con has been sold out for months. There's a bunch of hotels a couple miles east, across Novi Road, my wife and I are at a Courtyard by Marriot on the south side of the clump. Nice hotel, and affordable, we stay there every year.

Great! Thanks.

Set up today, live tomorrow! HUZZAH!

Do you look like your picture? I bought a large batch of $5 Golden Age books from a guy that looks just like your picture at the last Detroit Con I went to. If that you I'll definitely buy some more this time!

Do you look like your picture? I bought a large batch of $5 Golden Age books from a guy that looks just like your picture at the last Detroit Con I went to. If that you I'll definitely buy some more this time!

Hawaiian shirt? Check.

Fishing hat? Check.

It's Rick.

lol

Hawaiian shirt? Check.

Fishing hat? Check.

It's Rick.

lol

That's funny. He and I talked for 15 minutes about how crazy the market is right now and I never knew he and I joined the forums at about the same time. I usually buzz past his type of booth since it was mostly Golden Age books but his $5 boxes were stock full of cool books so I had to stop and take a look.

I'm only going to be able to attend tomorrow afternoon sine I have to work until noon (2.5 hour drive) and I still have not bought a ticket. Any chance a Friday will sell out? I've never heard of a show like Motor City selling out a Friday but I guess its better to ask.

Definetely a show with a lot of comic book dealers and a nice selection of hot books in the room. I even saw a couple booths with some high end Golden Age books - who would have thought. I've never gone for a Friday before and it definetely had the feel of the calm before the weekend storm with the dealers not really looking very busy. I'd love to have had more time to talk with the board members in the room but I had 4 hours to check out the books before getting back on the road.

Hawaiian shirt? Check.

Fishing hat? Check.

It's Rick.

lol

That's funny. He and I talked for 15 minutes about how crazy the market is right now and I never knew he and I joined the forums at about the same time. I usually buzz past his type of booth since it was mostly Golden Age books but his $5 boxes were stock full of cool books so I had to stop and take a look.

I think I bought some of his books last year. Neighbor and I are getting ready to drive to the show in just a few minutes. Got my list ready ahead of time this year to hopefully buy some of those five dollar books. Bought some last year and I do not think I duplicated any I had. But this year I will have my list heh heh

Hawaiian shirt? Check.

Fishing hat? Check.

It's Rick.

lol

I think I bought some of his books last year. Neighbor and I are getting ready to drive to the show in just a few minutes. Got my list ready ahead of time this year to hopefully buy some of those five dollar books. Bought some last year and I do not think I duplicated any I had. But this year I will have my list heh heh

I talked to Rick again this year and he didn't bring many of his $5 books with him. He said he was pretty much selling off a collection of books he bought at the Con and had a wall full of higher end golden age stuff which he must have brought with him. When you see his unsorted boxes believe him that they are unsorted. I went through the couple boxes and pulled out a couple gems so he is definitely not going through them before hand. Rick is good people.

I always like it when people post up the books they got so I can tell ifs my type of show so here are the books I grabbed yesterday. I was only there for 4 hours so I pretty much had to grab the low hanging fruit after a bit of going thru boxes at the show:

image_zps697nuhz2.jpg

image_zpsgn3cwwyb.jpg

image_zpsibdyurzn.jpg

image_zpsmdtle15a.jpg