• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Frank Miller and Klaus Janson not work together anymore?

14 posts in this topic

There may be more to it than this that I'm not privy to, but, he really doesn't need to work with an inker anymore. He's more than capable of finishing his own pencils and he no longer works on the strict deadline driven assembly-line so there are no time concerns forcing him to use someone else.

He's also able to keep all of his art now, instead of letting some of it go to the inker.

I had heard, though, that there was some sort of conflict between the two. That's what I want to know about. They made such a great team. I thought his Dark Knight Strikes wasn't nearly as good.

I don't know anything about any controversy. Google it?

I will say that most artists prefer to ink their own work, so once he got to the point where he was doing these big projects, I never even thought of it as being an issue.

While I'll grant complaints over DKSA, Miller hasn't used an inker in over fifteen years and that out put has been, to my mind at least, phenomenal. So I don't miss Janson over Miller all that much. Janson is a master inker, obviously. One of the best of all time. But Miller's linework is much more savage and energetic and really works for most of what he does. The fact that it worked less well on Superheroes is more of a sign, to me, that Miller should just give up on the Superhero thing and stick with what he's actually interested in...

I have to agree with Rob. I haven't missed Janson's inks that much -- Miller's work is very powerful when he inks himself.

The problems in DK2 were more story based than art based in my mind, although i wasn't crazy about the art either.

I haven't missed Janson/Miller either, in agreement with reasons already stated above, but I really like Janson inking over Romita JR.

I have a JRJR/Janson page from Thor #1 that is an absolute inking tour-de-force. I stop and look at the stuff he did on that page all the time. He really is a master inker.

I know I'm a total noob at this now since I always thought one person did all the art work on a comic shy.gif Is penciles where one does a sketch and the inker is the one who does the coloring? Sorry about this but like I said I always thought one person like Frank miller did the whole comic book art work while someone else did the writting blush.gif

which begs the question...who was the better inker for miller? josef rubenstein (wolverine MS) or kluas janson (DD and DKR)?

My vote is for Janson over Miller, but it may be because I have such a fondness for those sweet DD books from the 7-11 when I was a kid.

I know I'm a total noob at this now since I always thought one person did all the art work on a comic shy.gif

Sometimes that's the case. John Cassaday, Frank Quitely, are a couple of big names that do both pencils and inks on their books. Although they have another person do the colors.

Since I don't have the time right now to do this correctly, google will have to suffice:

How Comic Are Made

which begs the question...who was the better inker for miller? josef rubenstein (wolverine MS) or kluas janson (DD and DKR)? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

That's a good question, Supa!

I love the Wolvie mini artwork, the 'chunky/choppy/raw' feel of the series, no question! But I would have to go with the Miller/Janson team. They really took off during the DD run & they were so fluid together. I like that Janson brought out some nice, thin lines in Miller's stuff during that run & even DK, too.

Did Rubenstein ink Miller's Captain America story in Marvel Fanfare? (iss. #18 or so..) I always liked that little story.

Ok - so to sum up: Rubenstein: Very good! Janson: Best!

I know I'm a total noob at this now since I always thought one person did all the art work on a comic shy.gif

Sometimes that's the case. John Cassaday, Frank Quitely, are a couple of big names that do both pencils and inks on their books. Although they have another person do the colors.

Since I don't have the time right now to do this correctly, google will have to suffice:

How Comic Are Made

Thanks for the info thumbsup2.gif