• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading from scans

3 posts in this topic

So you think it’s fairly safe to grade comics using large scans? Sometimes we depend too much on large scans. Yes, large scans help you detects flaws. But no matter how large the scans; sometimes defects, even glaring defects, don’t always show up. Look at this scan. This scan were taken at normal, default settings, and not doctored or manipulated.

th_x95_zps9e14aad3.jpg

Now take a look at the photo. Unless the flaws are pointed out, you may think this comic to be better than it actually is. Please note that the flaws (indentations and bend do not break color, so it’s harder to detect in a scan. The comic look much nicer in the scan. Photographed in an angle and different lighting, the flaws really pop out.

th_20140227_153929_zps80d74d51.jpg

So you think it’s fairly safe to grade comics using large scans? Sometimes we depend too much on large scans. Yes, large scans help you detects flaws. But no matter how large the scans; sometimes defects, even glaring defects, don’t always show up. Look at this scan. This scan were taken at normal, default settings, and not doctored or manipulated.

th_x95_zps9e14aad3.jpg

Now take a look at the photo. Unless the flaws are pointed out, you may think this comic to be better than it actually is. Please note that the flaws (indentations and bend do not break color, so it’s harder to detect in a scan. The comic look much nicer in the scan. Photographed in an angle and different lighting, the flaws really pop out.

th_20140227_153929_zps80d74d51.jpg

This is why any potential buyer needs to rely on the seller either disclosing the 'hidden' flaw(s) or take and supply additional pictures.

I had purchase a book with a similar flaw, but luckily the seller took it back and gave a full refund. However, there are other sellers who will stick by the "Sold as Seen" having supplied scans of the back and front, without disclosure of the hidden flaw(s).

non-color breaking creases are one of the things that often show up better in a photo with reflective light than a scan, but at least they are pressable. lol This is a reason I feel uncomfortable grading white covers from scans as well, if the flaws aren't hidden, the scan can make slight discoloration look like tanning.

I firmly believe that any flaw that would heavily impact visually perceived grade should be disclosed when selling, even if a grade is assigned. By this I mean if a book looks NM in the scan but has a large invisible crease, let the buyer know, even if you are calling it a VF. On the other hand if the book is clearly no better than VG and being sold as such, I'm probably not going to be that concerned about a flaw like that I can't see.

The same with inside tanning to covers and pages. This is frequently my biggest pet peeve when buying books on line ( from any venue, not just ebay). Just because a book is listed as say a VG/F doesn't mean I'm going to be happy with undisclosed heavily tanned interiors even the seller feels they've factored this into the grade.