• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Etiquette on Making Offers

89 posts in this topic

You're basically just paying $200 for the signatures.

Although if that kid becomes a popular artist like his father and grandfather, this could be worth what the seller is currently asking for.

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

Just be sure your info is accurate.

I posted my 9.8 HULK 180 on Ebay with BIN/BO

Someone sent me an offer of $1600 or something silly, and then proceeded to tell me how his offer was more than fair & GPA data would back it up.

meh

I quoted the last sale on GPA & a sale on Pedigree from 2 weeks prior. Both sales being more than 1K above his offer.

He never responded back. :(

I always lead with "not sure what you have into the book" and then make an offer and cite my logic for the offer (sometimes it's citing gpa, sometimes it's talking about the general pricing around the grade).

Yeah, that's one issue with providing data. If the seller doesn't have access to GPA, you as a buyer are basically telling them to take your word for it, and most sellers won't do that.

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

Yep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

That is spoonin' hilarious! Perfect example of that sentence Kav!

:golfclap:

This guy is so deluded it's mind boggling. Romita-Romita-Lee signed pieces go for around $200-$300. He thinks the additional sig of a little kid whops the price up to 18K.

Some people....

Let's all throw in an offer - $200 and hopefully the owner realizes the actual value of that piece

He has it set to automatically turn down any rational offer. I'm guessing his cut-off point is 14K. He might be able to let it go for that.

The guy sells a lot of original art and really should know better. He's got 'suckeritis' I guess. At least ebay gets 30 c a month now for this waste of space...

The seller achieved exactly what he set out to do......... which was attract attention to his listings. The fact that people are posting links to his listing and talking about it is free advertising for him. Kudos to the seller for being so savvy. Just like a certain seller that lists Walking Dead # 1 slabs for $200,000. :whistle:

Although if that kid becomes a popular artist like his father and grandfather, this could be worth what the seller is currently asking for.

No one's signature in the history of comics was ever worth 17K I don't care how famous the kid gets

Otherwise he'd just sign all the lee romita romita stuff thats out there and raise it from $200 to 18K

If you read the description, the kid is not even pursuing drawing comic book for a living.

Basically, this piece is just for the sentimental value (3 generations of Romita's)

My wife would have killed me if I have to pay $200 for that scribble

It's ridiculous on so many levels

3 signatures of legends at $200 doesn't become 4 signatures of legends at 18K no matter how you slice it. I've seen stuff signed by founding fathers on antiques roadshow that doesn't sell for near that.

It's stupid greed and hope for sucker. That's all.

If you read the description, the kid is not even pursuing drawing comic book for a living.

Basically, this piece is just for the sentimental value (3 generations of Romita's)

You don't have to buy it. ;)

But I'm sure the seller appreciates everyone's attention.

If he appreciates being mocked, yeah

I doubt he cares what some faceless, anonymous, strangers post on a message board. Why would anyone care?

I doubt he cares what some faceless, anonymous, strangers post on a message board. Why would anyone care?

Then you can't claim he cares and appreciates the attention. It cuts both ways.

Then you can't claim he cares and appreciates the attention. It cuts both ways.

That's ludicrous. He's looking for attention to his listings. Good or bad, doesn't make a difference. If you buy something then great. If not, then he's still at the same position he was in before. This is the exact attitude that Kerbeck Auto Dealer has in New Jersey. His ads are unbelievable to the point you have to read the fine print several times to figure out how he can advertise a vehicle the way they do, and not be fined for false advertising. Their belief is customers will buy the vehicles even when they find out the truth, once they're in the showroom. And those customers that walk out the door without buying, well he never had their money to begin with, so he's lost nothing. And gained everything for each customer that does end up buying. He's a billionaire. Are you?

Well I asked him a question about the piece not rude or anything and later when i went to bid on one of his pieces I found out he blocked me so he doesn't seem to properly utilize the attention it is bringing him...

Well I asked him a question about the piece not rude or anything and later when i went to bid on one of his pieces I found out he blocked me so he doesn't seem to properly utilize the attention it is bringing him...
Seems pretty smart to figure out to block you so quickly. What's your ebay ID?

What have I said which has ticked you off so thoroughly dude?

Seems pretty smart to figure out to block you so quickly. What's your ebay ID?

What have I said which has ticked you off so thoroughly dude?

You haven't ticked me off at all. Sorry if I gave you that impression. It's just business, nothing personal.

I always pay immediately and have never left a neg. I asked him where he acquired the piece. Yep he was real smart to block me. You blow your top easy-can I get YOUR ebay ID?