• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Etiquette on Making Offers

89 posts in this topic

Many, many sellers post their items at prices that can be described as "shooting for the moon."

They're asking prices that they MIGHT get if they auctioned the item and there was a heavy-duty bidding war for it.

They're not auctioning it, there's no bidding war, and there's no emotion or pressure in the process. Offer what you'd like to pay for it, or maybe a little less to leave some room for negotiating.

It gets tricky depending on exactly how rare the item is. If it's something that will come along again in a few months, then you can afford to offer a low price. If it's something you might not see again for a few years, a little extra expense might be worth it in a "bird in the hand" kind of way.

If you always ask close to ave selling price you miss out on the occasional bargain. Like, serious bargain sometimes.

Not really a bargain if you're paying more than 3% of the avg.

If seller does not want to bargain, that's totally fair.

Couple of examples from tonight.

TWD 3 asking $200 NM raw (appears to be a good deal)

Offer - $170 base on last auction sale. Owner is only willing to go down to $190. I passed

Today - I won issue 3 in similar or better condition at an auction for $116.38

TWD 19 asking $299 NM+ raw

Offer - $250 based on last auction sale. Owner is only willing to go down to $275. I passed

Today - I won issue 19 in similar condition at an auction for $227.50

You just have to be patient so you don't hurt your bank account as well as the market for everyone else.

I agree and have several times gotten for half asking.

That's how I got my FF 19-I thought what the hell and BAM he accepted my offer

You said he was smart to block me, intimating I was some kind of ebay loser. I posted nothing that deserved such a comment on this thread. If you're trying to pretend it wasn't an insult that won't fly. Tell me what I posted that made it smart for him to block me and I'll post my ebay ID.
It's my guess he's read this thread and many of your posts mocking him. That's it.

Now that I've answered your question, do you have the courage to post your ebay ID like many of us here do? (4th request)

Sorry I don't base my actions on your guesses. And mocking ridiculousness is pretty common around here.

Be that as it may..... Everyone that reads this now knows you are not a man of your word and will not post your ebay ID here. Whether it's because you know deep down that you would end up on many block lists, or whatever, you have confirmed you are untrustworthy, and not a man of your word. Your constant deflections are obvious to us all.

My ebay ID is in my sig. It's always been there as it also is for many other boardies.

What your's? (last request)

You win. I'm a loser.

I knew you didn't have the courage to post your ebay ID from the beginning. I knew you wouldn't stand by your word. Now everyone else does too.

Yep. You nailed me good.

WTH is with boardie on boardie violence?

Heck if I know

I don't have the courage to let someone drive a nail in my eye either

I'm not really one to negotiate prices.If a book is priced right I'll buy it,if not I move on until I find another one.I hate the haggle game,and am probably in the minority here.

Dang I love haggling-its fun as hell it makes me feel like a big boy

I'm not really one to negotiate prices.If a book is priced right I'll buy it,if not I move on until I find another one.I hate the haggle game,and am probably in the minority here.

Most of the time, books are not priced right - that's the reality we live in.

We bargain to ensure we get the best bang for our buck and keep the hobby sustainable. If the owner can demonstrate that his/her price is fair market value, then I will definitely be all over it.

Haggling is just pulling numbers from someone's and will not result to effective negotiation.

Overpaying can temporarily skew market value, which will lead to future correction - this is bad news especially in comic books, where margins are very small.

I always keep it polite. I generally start by asking if they have room on price.

If the answer is no, then you've done yourself and them a favor.

If the answer is yes, then I'd make an offer with a reasonable explanation as to why.

Most people are reasonable, but once in a while you'll talk to someone who isn't. If they become nerdturds with an attitude I just say no thanks and walk away.

+1