• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Walking Dead and Chew keep their value?

63 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So no one answered this question. Should I buy a 9.6 cgc since a 9.8 is very very expensive or it is not worth it and only the 9.8 will really continue to grow in great value?

Thanks

The real answer is 'buy the book, not the grade', but there are a lot of arguments as to if 9.8's are overvalued relative to 9.6's or if 9.6's are undervalued relative to 9.8's (and which one is properly valued). It comes down to how much you feel comfortable in spending and if you think you'll regret your purchasing decision later.

Hey guys,

So no one answered this question. Should I buy a 9.6 cgc since a 9.8 is very very expensive or it is not worth it and only the 9.8 will really continue to grow in great value?

Thanks

WD 1 will only stay Under 2k for the time being

Chew #1 is steadily rising back up. I've been buying chew since the beginning of the year. I've watched a raw # 1 go from $180 to $280. Once the animation hits, it'll boost the 9.8 past $1k, and settle around $800.

That's what I think

Hi guys,

Finally I found a place where I can discuss comic book value with other collectors.

So anyhow, I was on Ebay recently and I can see Chew #1 cgc 9.8 going for a crazy price like 999 dollars. I can also see walking dead 9.8 cgc going for over 2, 800 dollars. I know that walking dead has blown up because of the show, but what happens when the show wraps up and the series is no longer on people's minds. Does the value drop immensely? What about Chew which doesn't even have a show yet?

I would have thought Game of thrones signed #1 cgc would be higher in value, because when the show ends the novels are still considered classics and will always be on people's mind.

My final question is, since cgc 9.8 are ridiculously expensive, is it worth buying a 9.6 instead or is that a waste?

There are a lot of previous questions about the future to both titles on the forums.

Chew has a lot riding on rumors of a show. It does look it its getting an animated production. So should be interesting to see how well everything turns out.

I wouldn't touch it, but it all depends what you like.

Walking Dead is a true phenomena. It's bigger that Turtles ever was. If you have gone to at least a few large conventions over the past couple years you can see it everywhere. The title has lasted for 10 years, and it only seems to have gotten bigger. The TV show has more viewers every season with almost 16 million on the last finale. Another show is in the works.

Right now, it shows little signs of slowing down. However, there is always a danger that if the quality drops enough the prices will drop. If you really want one, I would carefully watch prices and try to get a 9.6 for around $1000. Number 2 is a nice book also.

Hey guys,

Thanks

The real answer is 'buy the book, not the grade', but there are a lot of arguments as to if 9.8's are overvalued relative to 9.6's or if 9.6's are undervalued relative to 9.8's (and which one is properly valued). It comes down to how much you feel comfortable in spending and if you think you'll regret your purchasing decision later.

Another take on the real answer is that you seem to be mostly concerned with buying the book that will increase the most in value in the future. In which case, my advice to you is don't spend your money on comic books.

If you really want to own a Walking Dead #1, then buy a 9.6 if you'll be happy with it, and a 9.8 if not. Nobody is going to be able to tell you which will increase the most in value, because nobody knows.

One thing you can say with some degree of certainty is that either both will increase in value, or both will decrease, or both will stay the same. I wouldn't worry too much about relative increases/decreases between the grades.

Walking Dead is a true phenomena. It's bigger that Turtles ever was. If you have gone to at least a few large conventions over the past couple years you can see it everywhere. The title has lasted for 10 years, and it only seems to have gotten bigger. The TV show has more viewers every season with almost 16 million on the last finale.

On the basis that it's been everywhere at large cons in the last few years? Take into account cartoon, comic, film, toys, video games... I don't think you can say WD is bigger than the Turtles.

It's lasted 10 years (but only at current levels of popularity for what - 4?). But Turtles has been going for 30.

And phenomena is plural (pedant alert).

Walking Dead is a true phenomena. It's bigger that Turtles ever was. If you have gone to at least a few large conventions over the past couple years you can see it everywhere. The title has lasted for 10 years, and it only seems to have gotten bigger. The TV show has more viewers every season with almost 16 million on the last finale.

On the basis that it's been everywhere at large cons in the last few years? Take into account cartoon, comic, film, toys, video games... I don't think you can say WD is bigger than the Turtles.

It's lasted 10 years (but only at current levels of popularity for what - 4?). But Turtles has been going for 30.

While its lasted 30 years I've never seen Turtles get the same kind of exposure/ fan craze even at its peek.

Thanks for the correction, phenomenon.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Chew #1 is steadily rising back up. I've been buying chew since the beginning of the year. I've watched a raw # 1 go from $180 to $280. Once the animation hits, it'll boost the 9.8 past $1k, and settle around $800.

That's what I think

What no one has mentioned (or reminded) is that both chew 1 and walking dead 1 had limited print runs. Chew 1 had a very limited print run. Walking dead is already nearly an 11 year old title and chew 1 is an over 5 year old title. Walking dead 1's dipped slightly late last year but have been selling at and over 2k the last few months on ebay with one outlier sale on heritage recently for over 3.3k. Chew 1 has indeed spiked recently with an SS copy going for 700 on ebay recently. A non SS book is an easy 595 sale now. Given its print run of barely 5500 copies, and an animated show on the way, I could see it easily getting to $1k+ and holding there if the show is even a modest hit. All of this data applies to 9.8s. By the way, if the OP is creating threads asking about "values" of books, there is only one grade he should be buying- a 9.8.

-J.

While its lasted 30 years I've never seen Turtles get the same kind of exposure/ fan craze even at its peek.

Well, have you talked to many younger kids about it? Honestly, I don't know enough about viewer numbers etc. to argue that particular point with you, but based on the Turtles' success over all the different mediums I mentioned, as well as the fact that WD has only been this popular for a short time, I still don't think you can say that they're a bigger phenomenon.

You can obviously find things that were, in the short term, more financially successful or had more viewers or whatever. If WD is still this popular in 10 years time then I'll perhaps have come round to your point of view!

I find it hard to guess at the true longevity of moderns in high grade seeing as a lot more collectors care for their comics nowadays even if the print runs are small. I would imagine it's harder to find older popular franchises in high grade.

Does it matter if TMNT gets a new movie? Will it make this generation read the comics? I bet there's plenty of people who have watched The Crow a few times but even though they collect comics have never felt the urge to pick up the book or look at the art.

Eventually though TWD will fade away. Just needs enough time, same goes for any comic. However TWD is a great read with or without a TV series, it's getting a companion show, it has a strong game franchise, it has super cheap omnibus editions, the main series has just had a bit of a reset which will hopefully refresh things... and zombies are a genre unto themselves now. It's a great recipe, and you can't really say the same about anything else current. It has legs a plenty for now.

Perhaps TWD will hit a peak, dip, peak, dip and then when true nostalgia kicks in quite a few years from now the real peak will kick in as far as the key original art goes. The main focus is likely to remain #1 - 48 in both the comics and the art. 1st app of the main survivors, #1 pages, Tony Moore covers, key covers, key issue pages would be ones to hold onto.

Hey guys,

Thanks

That's what I think

Wow! wanna sell one of those badboys?

Well, have you talked to many younger kids about it? Honestly, I don't know enough about viewer numbers etc. to argue that particular point with you, but based on the Turtles' success over all the different mediums I mentioned, as well as the fact that WD has only been this popular for a short time, I still don't think you can say that they're a bigger phenomenon.

You can obviously find things that were, in the short term, more financially successful or had more viewers or whatever. If WD is still this popular in 10 years time then I'll perhaps have come round to your point of view!

I image its hard to figure out considering the younger appeal. For what its worth, I started collecting the Turtles at issue 3 in 1985 when I was 13. I agree the toys and video games are really where the Turtles shine. Although WD has been growing strong in those mediums well.

It would be interesting to take the time to do a more detailed comparison.

Hey guys,

Thanks

That's what I think

Wow! wanna sell one of those badboys?

Not the 9.8s. I'll have a 9.4 available if I don't press it.

Walking Dead is a pop cultural phenom that we haven't seen since Star Wars.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

All I know is that most southerners don't care for the above or Sci Fi in general. They do however love The Walking Dead

I dont think Walking Dead is/was a bigger cultural phenomenom as Star Trek. Star Trek has been around for years and has a massive following dating back to our grandparents. Just keepin it real.

I love walking dead as much as the next guy.

one thing to remember about Chew is that it ends at issue #60

But at 10 issues a year and all the one-shots, cross-overs, etc, issue 60 won't be published until 2020.

( :jokealert:)

Walking Dead is a pop cultural phenom that we haven't seen since Star Wars.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

All I know is that most southerners don't care for the above or Sci Fi in general. They do however love The Walking Dead

I disagree and I've lived in 2 southern states. What makes you think this ?

+1

-slym