• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packing books and staying in character

23 posts in this topic

I purchased a large lot of Sandman books off Ebay. How I received them made me wonder if there is a new way to ship comics.

This is how they arrived:

002_zps155b834f.jpg

004_zpsce1b5e76.jpg

The more valuable books are in the harder ultra pro comic locks with boards but the bulk of the books are in poly bags only. All I can say is if this seller was trying to make me feel like the books are immersed in sand he achieved it. Tiny bits of packing chips everywhere.

Maybe this concept can be expanded upon.

Spiderman books packed in spider webs.

The Thing books packed in rocks.

I would hate to see the Aquaman lot. :eek:

Each comic was loose?

:eek:

I always bundle my books up for shipping. Even a single book gets put into another bag (like you buy 100 to a box in the supermarket, for food storage, maybe bread) and taped up before getting taped to cardboard. I do this for moisture protection but yeah, multiple books should always be bound together somehow.

Maybe I am not understanding that picture correctly...

-slym

Each comic was loose?

I always bundle my books up for shipping. Even a single book gets put into another bag (like you buy 100 to a box in the supermarket, for food storage, maybe bread) and taped up before getting taped to cardboard. I do this for moisture protection but yeah, multiple books should always be bound together somehow.

Maybe I am not understanding that picture correctly...

-slym

Yes loose.

take a stack of comics in bags, a few with boards and place the stack in a box. Make another stack and place that stack in the same box. Put a couple of backing boards between the stacks. Fill all spaces with packing ships and seal it up and ship it. The books move all over, the chips crumble and become hundreds of small pieces. So, when you take each book out you are picking tiny little pieces of packing chips from all over the place. The bags are not sealed/ taped so often you find small bits of crumbled packing chips inside the bags in the comics. It made me think I was picking little bits of sand from each book.

Sandman... sand. Cool Idea :P

More ideas:

Human Torch comics shipped in flames

Fantastic Four comic shipped in 4 boxes.

This is fun :)

Yes loose.

take a stack of comics in bags, a few with boards and place the stack in a box. Make another stack and place that stack in the same box. Put a couple of backing boards between the stacks. Fill all spaces with packing ships and seal it up and ship it. The books move all over, the chips crumble and become hundreds of small pieces. So, when you take each book out you are picking tiny little pieces of packing chips from all over the place. The bags are not sealed/ taped so often you find small bits of crumbled packing chips inside the bags in the comics. It made me think I was picking little bits of sand from each book.

DCBS sent me an enormous order that was like this except that there was their plastic packing on each stack. All of the chips crumbled into tiny pieces and stuck to each stack like a magnet. I had to vacuum the stacks lol and there were still pieces on the comics somehow.

Each comic was loose?

-slym

:gossip:They're free. And waterproof. You can fit up to 8 comics, bagged and boarded, into each envelope. Put them in sideways with the boards facing out. By that I mean, if you are putting 6 comics in.... put 3 fronts of comics facing the other 3 fronts of comics, so that boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack. Fold over the remaining, unused envelope, and secure with a single piece of tape. Voila, a waterproof sandwich courtesy of USPS, now wrap in padding, cardboard, etc. and put it all in your shipping padders, boxes etc. ;)

:gossip:They're free. And waterproof. You can fit up to 8 comics, bagged and boarded, into each envelope. Put them in sideways with the boards facing out. By that I mean, if you are putting 6 comics in.... put 3 fronts of comics facing the other 3 fronts of comics, so that boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack. Fold over the remaining, unused envelope, and secure with a single piece of tape. Voila, a waterproof sandwich courtesy of USPS, now wrap in padding, cardboard, etc. and put it all in your shipping padders, boxes etc. ;)

You ever see/use these? USPS plastic envelopes

Also, Walking Dead packed in human intestines.

Extremely gross but I appreciate that you are playing along

:acclaim:

Each comic was loose?

-slym

I always put comics so two covers face each other, so tape nor the flaps can put any sort of indentation into the covers. And using the Tyvek envelope is fine, if you are shipping via Priority Mail. I use First Class and yes, Media Mail and if a package was opened up for inspection and, assuming the local Postmaster lets comics slide for MM, he wouldn't let using Priority packaging slide, and my customer may receive an upcharge - probably resulting in me getting a negative, knowing the way some eBayers are.

But yeah, if you are sending the parcel via Priority, this is a good thing to do!

:)

-slym

Each comic was loose?

-slym

I always put comics so two covers face each other, so tape nor the flaps can put any sort of indentation into the covers. And using the Tyvek envelope is fine, if you are shipping via Priority Mail. I use First Class and yes, Media Mail and if a package was opened up for inspection and, assuming the local Postmaster lets comics slide for MM, he wouldn't let using Priority packaging slide, and my customer may receive an upcharge - probably resulting in me getting a negative, knowing the way some eBayers are.

But yeah, if you are sending the parcel via Priority, this is a good thing to do!

:)

-slym

I hear ya. I only ship Priority Mail so it doesn't come into play. Funny thing is, last time I shipped out a 50 cheap moderns to someone in Florida using media mail was about a year ago. I put them all in those Priority Mail Tyveks and realized after I shipped them that I hope that box doesn't get inspected. lol But 99 % of time I ship Priority.

This thread explains a lot. I bought some Cherry Poptart comics and I wondered why they came packed so well.

stock-photo-15440142-shipping-herself-to-him-young-woman-in-cardboard-box.jpg

Her right arm blends in with her leg. I thought she was some deformed circus freak at first glance. lol

That's what you noticed? :facepalm:

This thread explains a lot. I bought some Cherry Poptart comics and I wondered why they came packed so well.

Her right arm blends in with her leg. I thought she was some deformed circus freak at first glance. lol

Yup. It sure wasn't those golfball sized ta-tas. I had to put my glasses on to see those.

Yup. It sure wasn't those golfball sized ta-tas. I had to put my glasses on to see those.

lol

lol

why couldn't my Sandman's be packed with a Cherry Poptart?? :cry:

Those books were begging to be damaged. I do not understand why people can't seem to grasp the concept that comics need to be far away from sides and corners of boxes.

It doesn't matter how hard the material they are in is...if they are anywhere near the sides/corners of the box, they are far, far, far more at risk for damage.

Any time when something can smash, dig, hit, gouge, jam, or ding a corner or side, the books will be damaged if they are up against the side.

This is not rocket science.

hm

Maybe it is.