• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ant-Man director calls it quits

110 posts in this topic

Why do they keep going after comedy directors? Sheesh. Way to kill the damn thing before it's even finished being made.

Peace,

Chip

Uh...because it's gonna be a comedy.

At the very least it will mock the source material and the standard superhero conventions. But hey, sometimes people love that...look at the Incredibles :sick:

the best superhero flick ever made

If you really believe that all I can say is...wow.

Why do they keep going after comedy directors? Sheesh. Way to kill the damn thing before it's even finished being made.

Peace,

Chip

At the very least it will mock the source material and the standard superhero conventions. But hey, sometimes people love that...look at the Incredibles :sick:

please name one superhero movie that you've seen, let alone liked. broken effin record.

Peace,

Chip

please name one superhero movie that you've seen, let alone liked. broken effin record.

I'll name four:

Superman: The Movie

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Batman Begins

Whachu got now sucka?

Peace,

Chip

I'll name four:

Superman: The Movie

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Batman Begins

Whachu got now sucka?

I agree with you with Batman Begins was one of the best. That movie made Batman relevant again at the movies and was a real game changer with what could be done. While it did not erase Batman and Robin it allowed everyone to move on.

Who doesn't like The Incredibles? Crazy people, that's who. That movie was (dare I say it) Fantastic!!!
Kinda set the bar a little too high for FOX, that's for sure. lol

Disney 1, FOX -3 (if you count Rise of the Silver Surfer twice).

Who doesn't like The Incredibles? Crazy people, that's who. That movie was (dare I say it) Fantastic!!!

The Incredibles is an excellent film. One of the best by Pixar and that is saying something.

+ 1

The House of Pixar is loaded with super hits that the entire family can enjoy. I hope with 'Incredibles 2' they keep that magic going.

What is most probably the 'creative differences' leading to Edgar Wright's departure.

Edgar Wright's Surprising Original Plan For ANT-MAN

Probably some variation of that is what Wright intended, as he once described to Superhero Hype:

-------------------------------------

Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60′s, in sort of “Tales to Astonish” mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang’s story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it’s like an interesting thing, like the “Marvel Premiere” one that I read which is Scott Lang’s origin, it’s very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on.

While it sounds cool, this would have been a very controversial move for Marvel. We've come a long way since Tony Stark first appeared as an alcoholic philanderer in Iron Man. More recent movies like Captain America and Thor have flawed but heroic figures. Wright would have made a criminal into a Marvel hero, something they wouldn't want. This was partially confirmed by Latino Review, who claimed one reason for the rewrites was the "core morality."

What is most probably the 'creative differences' leading to Edgar Wright's departure.

Edgar Wright's Surprising Original Plan For ANT-MAN

Probably some variation of that is what Wright intended, as he once described to Superhero Hype:

Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60′s, in sort of “Tales to Astonish” mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang’s story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it’s like an interesting thing, like the “Marvel Premiere” one that I read which is Scott Lang’s origin, it’s very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on.

While it sounds cool, this would have been a very controversial move for Marvel. We've come a long way since Tony Stark first appeared as an alcoholic philanderer in Iron Man. More recent movies like Captain America and Thor have flawed but heroic figures. Wright would have made a criminal into a Marvel hero, something they wouldn't want. This was partially confirmed by Latino Review, who claimed one reason for the rewrites was the "core morality."

I can see the artistic value of wanting to stay true to the source material but this would be a huge conflict with the image that Marvel Studios has created and which Disney has paid $4 billion to acquire.

And another 'thanks for considering me - I'll hold out for another project' response to Marvel Studios.

Director Rawson Marshall Thurber Passes On Marvel's ANT-MAN

As you know, Edgar Wright ("At World's End") spent many years working and reworking the -script for Ant-Man. He even shot some test footage which was viewed at Comic-Con, and eventually leaked online. It earned some high-marks from fans and interest in the diminutive hero was growing. Then, things went, real bad. Marvel decided to throw a wrench into production, supposedly having an in-house writer polish Edgar's -script. The changes left Wright quite upset and he split from the project. Since then, several directors have been named as possible replacements. Adam McKay, who directed Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, was close to taking the gig but talks brokedown. And now that Thurber ("Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story") has taken his name out of the running some of you might assume that another rumored choice, Ruben Fleischer ("Zombieland") would move to the head of the class. That's probably not the case either as Fleischer is said to be in talks for Ghostbusters 3. Looks like Marvel will have to go to plan C, whatever the hell that is.

Marvel Scrapes Bottom Of Barrel: 2 More Directors Up For ANT-MAN

Deadline is reporting that Rawson Marshall Thurber ("We're The Millers") is still the favorite for Ant-Man despite reports that he passed on the project yesterday. They also added two more names for us to bicker about, Nicholas Stoller and Michael Dowse. Stoller, is best known for directing 2008's Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 2010's Get Him to the Greek and 2014's Neighbors. Stoller also has plenty of writing credits, most notably: The Muppets, Gulliver's Travels and Yes Man. Dowse, is best known for directing Take Me Home Tonight and Goon.