• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC graders at conventions

42 posts in this topic

All,

I have a few books that I'm thinking about sending to CGC to get graded and slabbed, but the turn-around times for moderns are about two to three months right now. I'm thinking about waiting until September when the Pittsburgh Comic Con hits. What's the process on getting your books looked at at graded at the convention? Do they go through the panel of four graders or is there one guy doing the whole thing? Do regular CGC prices apply for Moderns/Golden, etc? Also is there usually a big line in order to get your books looked at? Thanks.

All,

I have a few books that I'm thinking about sending to CGC to get graded and slabbed, but the turn-around times for moderns are about two to three months right now. I'm thinking about waiting until September when the Pittsburgh Comic Con hits. What's the process on getting your books looked at at graded at the convention? Do they go through the panel of four graders or is there one guy doing the whole thing? Do regular CGC prices apply for Moderns/Golden, etc? Also is there usually a big line in order to get your books looked at? Thanks.

Likely there will be onsite grading in Philly in June, Chicago in August and they also do it at Megacon in March / April.

They have been known to do it in NYC but that is rare. Wouldn't count on it.

All,

Likely there will be onsite grading in Philly in June, Chicago in August and they also do it at Megacon in March / April.

I honestly cannot remember the last time CGC did on site at NYCC :(

They're listed as an exhibitor at the Convention. Why else would they be there? To witness Signature Series autographs? Just curious.

To take submissions but not to grade onsite. It's a much bigger ordeal than you would think. The encapsulation machines have to be physically moved.

I just called the people who run the show and they've said that while CGC has done on-site grading before, they're still waiting to hear back from CGC whether or not they will do it this year.

Which show?

They're listed as an exhibitor at the Convention. Why else would they be there? To witness Signature Series autographs? Just curious.

That's all they did at Heroescon in Charlotte. You can get them to witness signatures and/or drop off your books so you won't have to pay for shipping.

Assuming a 3-month TAT, if you subbed them now, you'd have them back mid-late August. Why wait until September?

Innocent question, nothing behind it other than curiousity.

:)

-slym

To save on shipping and handling, for one. Plus I think it'd be kind of cool to have them look the books over and actually get a feel for what they're looking for. I already paid to submit my ASM #300, so that'll probably get dropped tomorrow. Call it sticker shock on the shipping, but if I can save the money I can wait to get some of my Moderns graded and slabbed. Plus it's an excuse to go to the Convention!

I just called the people who run the show and they've said that while CGC has done on-site grading before, they're still waiting to hear back from CGC whether or not they will do it this year.

Which show?

Pittsburgh Comic Con, in September. Monroeville Convention Center.

All,

Nov 2009 Carbo show at Pier 92.

All,

Yeah, I was going to say...

I think that is a missed opportunity to tell the truth

Assuming a 3-month TAT, if you subbed them now, you'd have them back mid-late August. Why wait until September?

-slym

To save on shipping and handling, for one. Plus I think it'd be kind of cool to have them look the books over and actually get a feel for what they're looking for. I already paid to submit my ASM #300, so that'll probably get dropped tomorrow. Call it sticker shock on the shipping, but if I can save the money I can wait to get some of my Moderns graded and slabbed. Plus it's an excuse to go to the Convention!

Sticker shock on shipping? Are you in the U.S.? hm

I recall the last time I submitted books, return shipping was like $10 from UPS.

Completely understandable!

(thumbs u

-slym

:) m

I recall the last time I submitted books, return shipping was like $10 from UPS.

UPS only covers $100 for insurance. That is my sole reason for going USPS Registered Mail when I sub books to CGC. I know the one time I don't insure something properly, that will be the time I would have needed to do so. I am the walking, living epitome of Murphy's Law. I understand other people have their own insurance policies elsewhere, but for us that don't, I can't see using any other service.

-slym

:) m

UPS only covers $100 for insurance. That is my sole reason for going USPS Registered Mail when I sub books to CGC. I know the one time I don't insure something properly, that will be the time I would have needed to do so. I am the walking, living epitome of Murphy's Law. I understand other people have their own insurance policies elsewhere, but for us that don't, I can't see using any other service.

-slym

Ahh. I don't know if I noticed that. If they only cover $100, then my next sub will have to be shipped by somebody else :sorry:

Yep. If I were to submit my ASM #300 alone, it's $29.00 for shipping plus $5 for handling. It's all based on the book's value.

My last sub was 11 books, >$500 insurance, and it was $42 for return shipping alone.

:doh:

-slym