• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC graders at conventions

42 posts in this topic

All,

I have a few books that I'm thinking about sending to CGC to get graded and slabbed, but the turn-around times for moderns are about two to three months right now. I'm thinking about waiting until September when the Pittsburgh Comic Con hits. What's the process on getting your books looked at at graded at the convention? Do they go through the panel of four graders or is there one guy doing the whole thing? Do regular CGC prices apply for Moderns/Golden, etc? Also is there usually a big line in order to get your books looked at? Thanks.

Likely there will be onsite grading in Philly in June, Chicago in August and they also do it at Megacon in March / April.

They have been known to do it in NYC but that is rare. Wouldn't count on it.

I honestly cannot remember the last time CGC did on site at NYCC :(

Nov 2009 Carbo show at Pier 92.

I think that was The Big Apple Show which Wizard purchased from Carbo. It was the year Wizard went aggressive on the circuit with a number of shows.

I paid for the Associate membership so I can directly submit books to CGC.

You don't need to pay for a membership to submit comics to CGC, anyone can do it themselves for free. You mail them directly to CGC with payment. When you print out the forms from their website, you can also get a free 10% discount, use Option 3.

Really? My understanding was that the only way you could do it directly was with a membership.

To submit directly you need to have a paid membership but you can use a dealer to submit. Apparently chuckles has some kind of deal with cgc so you can submit without having an account. http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?affiliate=MH

That's why I went with the membership. There's only one real LCS who does CGC submissions and they took a couple weeks after I dropped my books off to finally send the books to Florida. This way I can send them myself and save some time on the back end.