• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC graders at conventions

42 posts in this topic

Yep. Live and learn. I'm going to see if I can do something tomorrow on the phone about sliding a couple other books on the same invoice and save on shipping. Nothing world breaking, like MOS #18 and Batman #497. I have a Star Wars #1 that I want to submit, but Joeypost is going to have to do some magic to it first.

All,

I have a few books that I'm thinking about sending to CGC to get graded and slabbed, but the turn-around times for moderns are about two to three months right now. I'm thinking about waiting until September when the Pittsburgh Comic Con hits. What's the process on getting your books looked at at graded at the convention? Do they go through the panel of four graders or is there one guy doing the whole thing? Do regular CGC prices apply for Moderns/Golden, etc? Also is there usually a big line in order to get your books looked at? Thanks.

Likely there will be onsite grading in Philly in June, Chicago in August and they also do it at Megacon in March / April.

They have been known to do it in NYC but that is rare. Wouldn't count on it.

I honestly cannot remember the last time CGC did on site at NYCC :(

Yeah, I was going to say...

I think that is a missed opportunity to tell the truth

If I remember correctly, in 2010 they had it set up where you could sit down with the graders and "test your grading ability" where you would look over a book and say "it;s a 9.8" and the grader would facepalm and say no its closer to a 6.0/6.5 and show you where you messed up. This would be an awesome experience for new collectors and for kids to learn what goes into grading, how to tell the good books, and also get good publicity. That said, I love hanging out with Mike and the sig series crew every year over at Hotflips table :hi:

I just called the people who run the show and they've said that while CGC has done on-site grading before, they're still waiting to hear back from CGC whether or not they will do it this year.

Which show?

Pittsburgh Comic Con, in September. Monroeville Convention Center.

CGC has never done on-site grading at this show.

Like Roy said, the regular on-site grading shows are WW Philly, WW Chicago and Megacon.

So they should be taking submissions right from the show? All that would save me on is shipping down, not back then?

Saving on shipping DOWN CAN be significant with excellent packaging and paying for postage in insurance, and you feel better about not letting the postal workers lose or trash your stuff. YOu can get a receipt in person. These aren't small things if you're dealing with high dollar books.

To save on return shipping you can make an appointment and go pick up your submissions at the CGC facilities in Florida.

Also note that for ONSITE grading for CGC, the cost IS more than your normal submission.

As my high school econ teacher once told me, TINSTAAFL.

As my high school econ teacher once told me, TINSTAAFL.

I can't wait to see what some boardies make out of this.

:popcorn:

-slym

Trespassing In No Standing / Tresspassing Areas Allows For Loitering

Are you who gave me a ticket in Brooklyn for parking in a "No Standing" zone?

:lol:

Seriously, I had to look that up when I got that ticket. Because, let's face it - a car doesn't stand.

;)

-slym (understands the term fully now, as applied to parking on city streets)

Yep. If I were to submit my ASM #300 alone, it's $29.00 for shipping plus $5 for handling. It's all based on the book's value.

My last sub was 11 books, >$500 insurance, and it was $42 for return shipping alone.

:doh:

-slym

Now THATS sticker shock. If I swam in the deep end of the pool I would consider it, but I deal in low volume/low cost/low risk books, and so far no problems with UPS.

Thing is, if I calculate my price from Sarasota to where I live, using the weight on the box I have from CGC, Priority Mail would cost $23 and change. Add $12 for Registered Mail (I think that is how it works) and the total is now $35. If not, then it's back to $23 and change.

What did that extra $7/$19 get me? Don't tell me the box and all that, because that is the cost of doing business. Let's hope CBCS doesn't do this to their customers.

*sigh*

-slym

I paid for the Associate membership so I can directly submit books to CGC.

You don't need to pay for a membership to submit comics to CGC, anyone can do it themselves for free. You mail them directly to CGC with payment. When you print out the forms from their website, you can also get a free 10% discount, use Option 3.

That's what I did for my Spidey #300. Shipping is costing me way more than the grading and slabbing. I'll have to call them and see if I can throw in some books for the same price. It'll be worth it if I can send three books and have them cost the same in shipping.

That's what I did for my Spidey #300. Shipping is costing me way more than the grading and slabbing. I'll have to call them and see if I can throw in some books for the same price. It'll be worth it if I can send three books and have them cost the same in shipping.

Let us know how that works out.

I think he can send in another invoice (sorry, you'll pay the $5 invoice fee again) and if he states that he wants the two invoices shipped together, they will hold the first until the second one is done. There will be a price correction, I believe. They base the shipping on # of books, so maybe if he keeps it under the number before the first rate increase, it won't be more...

Just make sure you get the invoice numbers correct! ;)

-slym

You don't need to pay for a membership to submit comics to CGC, anyone can do it themselves for free. You mail them directly to CGC with payment. When you print out the forms from their website, you can also get a free 10% discount, use Option 3.

Really? My understanding was that the only way you could do it directly was with a membership.

Really? My understanding was that the only way you could do it directly was with a membership.

To submit directly you need to have a paid membership but you can use a dealer to submit. Apparently chuckles has some kind of deal with cgc so you can submit without having an account. http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?affiliate=MH