• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite model kits based on comic book characters
2 2

129 posts in this topic

True story:

Sometime in the mid-nineties I walked into a large craft chain store and they had pallets of old figure kits sitting inside the door. Dollar each.

I thought my heart was going to come through my chest. :ohnoez:

I grabbed several shopping carts and started tossing them in. The manager came over and I told him I'm buying it all, and please call the other locations and see if they have these too. He said the company had had to sell an old Warehouse and these were found in it.

Drove all over town that day, filling cart after cart after cart. Then I spent years selling and trading to national kit dealers, and occasionally putting some on eBay.

3_MPChulk3.jpg3_AuroraSM1.jpg3_MPCspidey1.jpg

True story:

Sometime in the mid-nineties I walked into a large craft chain store and they had pallets of old figure kits sitting inside the door. Dollar each.

I grabbed several shopping carts and started tossing them in. The manager came over and I told him I'm buying it all, and please call the other locations and see if they have these too. He said the company had had to sell an old Warehouse and these were found in it.

Drove all over town that day, filling cart after cart after cart. Then I spent years selling and trading to national kit dealers, and occasionally putting some on eBay.

Some guys have all the luck

Here's some vintage Aurora built ups:

Nice, hopefully that will be my hobbie when I retire. I have most of the original Aurora kits. I just need to find two more parts to complete Wonder Woman.

Some guys get all the breaks.

Some guys do nothin' but complain!

Wee-oo-oo-wee-oo-oo-oo-wee-oo...

-slym ( :headbang: )

Alone in a crowd on a bus after working, I'M DREAMING :headbang:

:bump:

xxx ooo

Rupp

True story:

Cool story Dav! Right place, right time. :) I imagine at a cost basis of $1 per, you made out all right!

Now what really would have been cool is if the warehouse find included '60s and early 70's Auroras you bought at $1 each. But if you tell me that, then I think my heart will come through MY chest. :ohnoez:

Here's some vintage Aurora built ups:

Nice, hopefully that will be my hobbie when I retire. I have most of the original Aurora kits. I just need to find two more parts to complete Wonder Woman.

toro, same here, I have many kits/builts in need of re-dos that I mainly just need to find the time to mess with.

As for Wonder Woman, she fortunately has been reissued from reengineered molds, made off of a mint original unbuilt (much of the scarcity of the original from 1966 is due to the Aurora train wreck in the 70s, that destroyed the original mold for her.)

The reissue itself is now out of production, but should be relatively easy to find on eBay etc. If you don't mind a non-100% original version, it could be built up seamlessly to appear as a unified whole.

Cool story Dav! Right place, right time. :) I imagine at a cost basis of $1 per, you made out all right!

Now what really would have been cool is if the warehouse find included '60s and early 70's Auroras you bought at $1 each. But if you tell me that, then I think my heart will come through MY chest. :ohnoez:

Back then I was getting about $40 a pop for the Hulk kits, and that was from 'rare kit dealers' who sent out mailing lists.They'd take 6 or 8 kits at a time. Ebay came along and pushed the price down somewhat.

Nope, no original Auroras, mainly late seventies Monogram and MPC kits. I vaguely remember some oddball stuff besides the comic book figures. James Bond Moonraker space shuttle, General Lee, junk like that. Hell, I grabbed everything.

It turns out someone I work with is deep into movie monsters and UFO models. So he was sharing some Wonderfest 2014 photos over lunch.

wfest2014giant109.jpg

wfest2014giant136.jpg

wfest2014giant105a.jpg

wfest2014giant102.jpg

I can see that hobby being very addictive.

THANK YOU for posting those. (thumbs u Wonderfest. :cloud9:

After the herky-jerky intro this video scans the Model Contest entries.

I had no idea Polar Lights had done a Neal Adams Superman kit. :o I had to do a screen-grab when the video panned by.

If it's real I'm going shopping. :ohnoez: . And whoever painted it comic book style NAILED IT. (worship)

wonderfest1.jpg

wonderfest_2.jpg

Bosco and Davenport thanks for the updates. All the cool stuff just makes me want to keep working on mine. Im not in the same league as the guys/gals in the video but i enjoy it.