• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellboy/BPRD

6 posts in this topic

I've never read any of these books, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Looks like a bunch of mini-series, with no ongoing titles. Where is a good place to start reading?

The BPRD series started putting ongoing issue numbers on the inside at some point, and a couple years ago started numbering them on the cover that way. Definitely a series worth starting from the beginning.

Both are great series. Hellboy has lots of Mignola art, and has generally a more gothic feel. Mignola pretty much stuck to the covers for BPRD, but the series has had a lot of talented artists on it, and reads more like a classic "team" book, with changing character dynamics and a continually expanding narrative. I enjoy BPRD a little more as Hellboy can feel repetitious at times, though the concept and character still make it a fun read.