• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 passes Man of Steel at Box Office

98 posts in this topic

I rather enjoyed Man of Steel. I have not seen nor have a real desire to see Spiderman 2. It's a movie I felt I could wait for to be available on disc from netflix.

You were the one who said if a movie is successful the companies will definitely make sequels. Where is the Man of Steel sequel? The Spider-Man films are still going strong after 5 recent films with more in the works. Go figure. :)

Sounds like someone is jealous. That's to be understood. This is a Marvel character after all. :)

Thanks again to Sony for producing yet another wildly successful Spider-Man movie. Families around the world wait in eager anticipation for the next installment. :applause:

if you had any clue how the box office receipts were dispersed, you'd realize ASM 2 is anything but wildly successful. it's a $ loser. ask Dan Loeb what he thinks about Sony spending $425mm on this drek. Captain America and X-Men: DOFP are both successful, commercially and artistically; congrats to Marvel and Fox.

Do the Spider-Man haters protest too much? That was easy. ;)

Congratulations to Sony for producing yet another wildly successful Spider-Man film for the children. It's already made more at the box office than Man of Steel and is on it's way to over $700 million worldwide. (thumbs u This franchise is still going strong even after 4 previous films put out in the last several years, including a reboot. :applause: The iconic childrens' character is so popular worldwide that 4 more Spider-Man films are in the works including two spin-offs. It's a great time for children around the world and their parents who get to spend quality time with their family while viewing these blockbuster films. Kudos to Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Marvel, and Sony for bringing such joy to everyone around the world. Can't wait till the next Spider flick hits the theaters. :)

Congratulations to Sony for producing yet another wildly successful Spider-Man film for the children. It's already made more at the box office than Man of Steel and is on it's way to over $700 million worldwide. (thumbs u This franchise is still going strong even after 4 previous films put out in the last several years, including a reboot. :applause: The iconic childrens' character is so popular worldwide that 4 more Spider-Man films are in the works including two spin-offs. It's a great time for children around the world and their parents who get to spend quality time with their family while viewing these blockbuster films. Kudos to Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Marvel, and Sony for bringing such joy to everyone around the world. Can't wait till the next Spider flick hits the theaters. :)

I don't hate on it. I just don't think it's anything I need to pay to see in the theater. Now, I feel that Guardians is going to be a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.

HULKSMASH IN THE HOUSE!

:applause::applause::applause:

You are mixing budgets.

The MOS numbers are production budget only.

The ASM numbers are the production budget + marketing costs

MOS made money off promotions,....

Not relevant to the 225M MOS budget and 425M ASM budget posted in the chart provided. Those numbers are simply apples and apples + oranges.

There has not been a 425M production budget since Avatar. Production budgets are what are thrown around everywhere, because everyone wants to know how much the director was given to actually make the movie and marketing costs are highly variable. The ASM movie had an estimated production budget of somewhere between 200M-255M.

Although the nefarious intent accusations seem a little far fetched. Not sure what the point would be.

The studio isn't sending out congratulations to anyone involved in this.

Far from it. Heads are going to roll over this turd.

It's going to be a struggle to break $200 million domestically. Seriously, it may not even break it. That's an embarrassment for a top tier character.

And domestically, which is where the studios really make their money, it'll never catch up to Man of Steel which has a $100 million lead over it.

Domestically it has no chance of catching Captain America Winter Soldier and may not even catch the second Thor movie. It's not worthy of even comparing it to the Iron Man franchise.

Wow. How badly has this iconic character has fallen?

At a time when Marvel movies seem to be hitting their peak, both critically and financially, ASM 2, even with the help of 3D and IMAX dollars, may not even do HALF of what the first Raimi Spider-man did, in 2002 dollars!

It's going to be interesting to see how close X-Men DOFO comes to catching ASM2 in just it's second week! A movie that even a non-Marvel Studio's production has managed to make right.

Whatever plans they had for this Spider-man franchise - it will change. Be it a new director, a new cast, whatever... Something is going to change. Relying on the foreign market, who love the character regardless of how bad the movie is, just isn't profitable enough to continue the way they've been going. It's foreign grosses are over 72% of it's take! That's NOT what a studio wants to see!

What's next? We'll make up for it in DVD sales! lol

HULKSMASH IN THE HOUSE!

:applause::applause::applause:

;)

You are mixing budgets.

Not relevant to the 225M MOS budget and 425M ASM budget posted in the chart provided. Those numbers are simply apples and apples + oranges.

There has not been a 425M production budget since Avatar. Production budgets are what are thrown around everywhere, because everyone wants to know how much the director was given to actually make the movie and marketing costs are highly variable. The ASM movie had an estimated production budget of somewhere between 200M-255M.

Although the nefarious intent accusations seem a little far fetched. Not sure what the point would be.

I suspect that with all the hush hush surrounding the working budget number for this movie, it's closer to 300M. The studio was afraid that number would increase the critics negativity and so they've yet to release an official number.

Which of course is going to add to spectacle of what a domestic financial disappointment this movie is.

Maybe they signed a sweet cable deal. :kidaround:

In '97, Batman & Robin got $120 million back for an exclusive cable deal (I forget which company) before it even opened, that must have eased some of the $160 million budget. I don't remember, but I think it grossed like $109 million that summer (Men In Black & The Lost World were kings during that summer).

Go check out Box Office Mojo where they are still not posting the ASM 2 budget yet because they can't figure out what the total budget minus marketing promotion truly is. Sony isn't making it clear.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

But let's adjust that budget to reflect a figure that probably does not include marketing spent ($255 MM). Especially with the special effects applied and the number of big stars, it would make sense it was higher than the average comic film.

CsvLPYb.png

Even with that, the profit ratio still drops below MOS. But does that mean it is a bad movie that someone should start a thread to dance around and talk about how horrible it was? I'm actually going to give this movie a try when it comes out on disc, as I love the Spider-Man universe.

(shrug)

The studio isn't sending out congratulations to anyone involved in this.

Far from it. Heads are going to roll over this turd.

It's going to be a struggle to break $200 million domestically. Seriously, it may not even break it. That's an embarrassment for a top tier character.

And domestically, which is where the studios really make their money, it'll never catch up to Man of Steel which has a $100 million lead over it.

Domestically it has no chance of catching Captain America Winter Soldier and may not even catch the second Thor movie. It's not worthy of even comparing it to the Iron Man franchise.

Wow. How badly has this iconic character has fallen?

At a time when Marvel movies seem to be hitting their peak, both critically and financially, ASM 2, even with the help of 3D and IMAX dollars, may not even do HALF of what the first Raimi Spider-man did, in 2002 dollars!

It's going to be interesting to see how close X-Men DOFO comes to catching ASM2 in just it's second week! A movie that even a non-Marvel Studio's production has managed to make right.

Whatever plans they had for this Spider-man franchise - it will change. Be it a new director, a new cast, whatever... Something is going to change. Relying on the foreign market, who love the character regardless of how bad the movie is, just isn't profitable enough to continue the way they've been going. It's foreign grosses are over 72% of it's take! That's NOT what a studio wants to see!

Best post in the thread.

Also, ASM2 will struggle to make domestically what everyone's favorite movie, Superman Returns, made in 2006-without 3D and inflated ticket prices.

Spidey is my second favorite character, so this isn't good news for me. I'm sorry to see Sony running this franchise into the ground. Hopefully Marvel regains the rights very soon.

You are mixing budgets.

I suspect that with all the hush hush surrounding the working budget number for this movie, it's closer to 300M. The studio was afraid that number would increase the critics negativity and so they've yet to release an official number.

Which of course is going to add to spectacle of what a domestic financial disappointment this movie is.

Hate to say it, but that seems to be the case. Box Office Mojo is quick to post a budget once a movie starts rolling out in the theater. Nothing on ASM2 yet when it comes to budget. Sony seems to be holding this back right now.

But that doesn't mean I am glad if Spider-Man does poorly. As big a name as Spidey is to the comic industry, the last thing someone should want is this movie to come across as weak.

You are mixing budgets.

Hate to say it, but that seems to be the case. Box Office Mojo is quick to post a budget once a movie starts rolling out in the theater. Nothing on ASM2 yet when it comes to budget. Sony seems to be holding this back right now.

But that doesn't mean I am glad if Spider-Man does poorly. As big a name as Spidey is to the comic industry, the last thing someone should want is this movie to come across as weak.

Yup. And with all the families that had such a happy time taking their children to see this movie, we can expect many more Spider-Mans films to continue providing these great family times for years to come. All those peripheral sales in Spidey merchandise, tv and cable rights, dvd sales, prormo money that they don't feel the need to advertise to the public to prop up their revenue, sheesh, it all adds up to many more films providing a good time for families around the world. Thank you Sony. (thumbs u

Nice spin... :eyeroll:

Domestically, Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) is on track to take in $200 million, which is an all time low for the franchise and around Superman Returns (2006) number and off over $60 million from Amazing Spider-Man 1 (2012). The studios don't see as much of the International grosses, so I doubt anyone at Sony is patting themselves on the back for this movie.

Here are the Spider-Man films domestic box office takes:

Spider-Man 1 (2002) $403 million

Spider-Man 2 (2004) $373 million

Spider-Man 3 (2007) $336 million

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (2012) $262 million

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) $187 million (project to finish at $200 million)

I'm sure Sony is very pleased their latest outing will end up taking in half of the first movie's take 12 years later. :facepalm: And when you adjust for inflation, I'll bet more than one Sony exec is :frustrated:

I will say this though, congratulations to Sony for releasing this movie Internationally first. They must have realized this was a turkey from the get go, so they did the best they could to maximize it's potential.

You are mixing budgets.

More than anything, I want to see Spider-man, as a character, be the biggest movie star in the world. But when they get it wrong as badly as this reboot does... I can't support that.

I just want to see them get it right. I DON'T want to see them get rewarded for NOT doing it right.

These are adults playing with millions of dollars.

I'll save the mollycoddling for my kids.

I'm sorry to see Sony running this franchise into the ground. Hopefully Marvel regains the rights very soon.
A third reboot is gonna be a tough sell even if Marvel does get it back. My 2c

Imagine a Spidey vs. Hulk flick, or a Team-Up flick with Vision. No need to reboot, just introduce new actor without an origin story and have them team up for an adventure.

Yup. And with all the families that had such a happy time taking their children to see this movie, we can expect many more Spider-Mans films to continue providing these great family times for years to come. All those peripheral sales in Spidey merchandise, tv and cable rights, dvd sales, prormo money that they don't feel the need to advertise to the public to prop up their revenue, sheesh, it all adds up to many more films providing a good time for families around the world. Thank you Sony. (thumbs u

Like I pointed earlier, DC/Warner tried the "family" approach with Batman & Robin and made a billion in merchandise and stuff too. Planned another Schumacher installment before it opened ("Batman Triumphant") even. Look what happened there. The character was shelved for eight years.