• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby art day

23 posts in this topic

Always love picking up some new Jack Kirby goodness. Landed a nice page from Tales of Suspense 43, with Kirby pencils and Don Heck inks. Here's a link:

Tales of Suspense 43 Kirby/Heck Iron Man

Jack Kirby and Don Heck only collaborated on a handful of issues of Iron Man in Tales of Suspense before Heck took over the duties full time with issue 44. This page from issue 43, the last one Kirby was involved with, is a phenomenal large art example of the two at their best. Although the early armor and story lines were primitive, Kirby's handiwork on this page shows itself brilliantly in the machinery, the Asgardian-like costumes of the villains, and the weaponry that Iron Man uses to counter each of their laughable attacks. I'd also wager that Kirby was behind the various gadgets that Iron Man employs since Jack had a penchant for giving his heroes James Bond-like weapons at every opportunity.

GREAT ACQUISITION. NOT MUCH ART OUT THERE WITH THE ORIGINAL SUIT, 1/2 THE COMIC WAS ANOTHER STORY, AS WELL AS THERE BEING A LOT OF TONY STARK DRAMA. I'M LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A PAGE FROM ISSUE 42.

NOT SHOUTING:)

I agree! Those early pages are tough. Nice that you have one! I went out and saw it on your CAF Gallery. Sweet page brother!

GREAT ACQUISITION. NOT MUCH ART OUT THERE WITH THE ORIGINAL SUIT, 1/2 THE COMIC WAS ANOTHER STORY, AS WELL AS THERE BEING A LOT OF TONY STARK DRAMA. I'M LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A PAGE FROM ISSUE 42.

NOT SHOUTING:)

Nice pages! I wasn't sure if you were still actively pursuing art.

Nice scores, Steve! Glad to see you're still in the game (as nutty as it has become!)

Thanks guys! I'm always pursuing art. :grin: I love this nutty hobby (thumbs u

I'm simply one of those collectors who have been described in the various market threads who pared down my collection to something more modest in order to raise funds to make a significant life change. My wife and I are realizing a dream and I have to thank my penchant for collecting things at the right time for being able to fund it.

Sure the market is high but I'm always looking for value and I'm always looking for opportunities to acquire quality examples of vintage Kirby.

Nice scores, Steve! Glad to see you're still in the game (as nutty as it has become!)

I'm simply one of those collectors who have been described in the various market threads who pared down my collection to something more modest in order to raise funds to make a significant life change. My wife and I are realizing a dream and I have to thank my penchant for collecting things at the right time for being able to fund it.

Sure the market is high but I'm always looking for value and I'm always looking for opportunities to acquire quality examples of vintage Kirby.

The market is high but uneven. Too high on some Kirby pieces and comparatvely low on others. Public interest in Thor and Iron Man will only continue and grow, whereas interest in the likes of Kamandi and Demon et al depends largely on comic aficionadoes of a certain age. (and it wasn';t that long ago such pages were going for less than a parking pass at comic con)

Kirby Thor and Iron Man pages have gone up but still seem very low compared to other Kirbys.

The market is high but uneven. Too high on some Kirby pieces and comparatvely low on others. Public interest in Thor and Iron Man will only continue and grow, whereas interest in the likes of Kamandi and Demon et al depends largely on comic aficionadoes of a certain age. (and it wasn';t that long ago such pages were going for less than a parking pass at comic con)

Kirby Thor and Iron Man pages have gone up but still seem very low compared to other Kirbys.

I agree, still some deals to be had here and there. I thought the TOS Cap page for $16K was a great price. I actually tried to put a bid in at the last minute (I was out to dinner with a group) but got the dreaded error page and by the time my phone browser refreshed, the auction expired. Ah well. Them's the breaks when one tries the last minute snipe. :ohnoez:

I view this a bit differently, FWIW. Jack's '70s work represents his artistic peak, the period when he achieved the highest level of autonomy and personal expression. There will be two streams of Kirby collectors in the future (there already are), and the group that is focused on Kirby's artistry will continue to place high value on those pages. I'm not saying this will ever outweigh the buying power of Marvel hero collectors, just that the superb Royer pages of the '70's will hold their value and then some. IMHO, those are the underpriced Kirbys now.