• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby art day

23 posts in this topic

The market is high but uneven. Too high on some Kirby pieces and comparatvely low on others. Public interest in Thor and Iron Man will only continue and grow, whereas interest in the likes of Kamandi and Demon et al depends largely on comic aficionadoes of a certain age. (and it wasn';t that long ago such pages were going for less than a parking pass at comic con)

Kirby Thor and Iron Man pages have gone up but still seem very low compared to other Kirbys.

I view this a bit differently, FWIW. Jack's '70s work represents his artistic peak, the period when he achieved the highest level of autonomy and personal expression. There will be two streams of Kirby collectors in the future (there already are), and the group that is focused on Kirby's artistry will continue to place high value on those pages. I'm not saying this will ever outweigh the buying power of Marvel hero collectors, just that the superb Royer pages of the '70's will hold their value and then some. IMHO, those are the underpriced Kirbys now.

I agree that the 70s stuff has its own following for different reasons than some of the fans of Jack's Marvel material. For me, the nostalgia of my Marvel tastes drive me toward that art and I honestly feel that he was at his peak at that time. But I enjoy and respect what Jack did with the Fourth World and other 70s work, and I agree that much of that art is under-appreciated and perhaps a bit under-priced -- although the market is what the market is. If more people want Jack's 1960s Marvel work more than his 70s DC or Marvel work, then the prices will be higher. And for some art aficionados, it's hard to beat the big ol' Kirby images on the large art pages. Size matters!

The market is high but uneven. Too high on some Kirby pieces and comparatvely low on others. Public interest in Thor and Iron Man will only continue and grow, whereas interest in the likes of Kamandi and Demon et al depends largely on comic aficionadoes of a certain age. (and it wasn';t that long ago such pages were going for less than a parking pass at comic con)

Kirby Thor and Iron Man pages have gone up but still seem very low compared to other Kirbys.

I view this a bit differently, FWIW. Jack's '70s work represents his artistic peak, the period when he achieved the highest level of autonomy and personal expression. There will be two streams of Kirby collectors in the future (there already are), and the group that is focused on Kirby's artistry will continue to place high value on those pages. I'm not saying this will ever outweigh the buying power of Marvel hero collectors, just that the superb Royer pages of the '70's will hold their value and then some. IMHO, those are the underpriced Kirbys now.

I agree that the 70s stuff has its own following for different reasons than some of the fans of Jack's Marvel material. For me, the nostalgia of my Marvel tastes drive me toward that art and I honestly feel that he was at his peak at that time. But I enjoy and respect what Jack did with the Fourth World and other 70s work, and I agree that much of that art is under-appreciated and perhaps a bit under-priced -- although the market is what the market is. If more people want Jack's 1960s Marvel work more than his 70s DC or Marvel work, then the prices will be higher. And for some art aficionados, it's hard to beat the big ol' Kirby images on the large art pages. Size matters!

60's Marvel Kirby all the way. :headbang:

Awesome page Steve !