• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore's Electricomics

12 posts in this topic

Already known for revolutionising the comic book industry in the 1980s, Moore is pushing boundaries again with Electricomics - an app that is both a comic book and an easy-to-use open source toolkit. Being open source and free, the app has wide potential not just for industry professionals, but also businesses, arts organisations and of course comic fans and creators everywhere.

“Personally, I can’t wait,” said Moore. “With Electricomics, we are hoping to address the possibilities of comic strips in this exciting new medium, in a way that they have never been addressed before.

“Rather than simply transferring comic narrative from the page to the screen, we intend to craft stories expressly devised to test the storytelling limits of this unprecedented technology. To this end we are assembling teams of the most cutting edge creators in the industry and then allowing them input into the technical processes in order to create a new capacity for telling comic book stories.

“It will then be made freely available to all of the exciting emergent talent that is no doubt out there, just waiting to be given access to the technical toolkit that will enable them to create the comics of the future.”

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53084

Making the tech freely available is one thing, I will be interested to see if people then only be able to publish if they monetize what they have created on the same platform or if they can offer it for free or even offer it elsewhere.

It makes a lot of sense to make the subscription based digital market easier for anyone to break into because it may slightly lessen the competition from free web comics and strips if it starts to attract enough interest. The whole mentality that anything can be found online for free makes digital only comics very shaky ground for even some of the best out there.

Does anyone here actually sub to any of the existing services out there that are digital only publications? e.g. http://www.acesweekly.co.uk/about

I don't get it

It's just an app for comics?

Don't we have those?

I get the impression that it's going to be a digital creation and publishing suite that may make comic creation simpler for the masses. Perhaps it will have tools to build a page layout or dynamic panel transitions or speech bubbles and text for you... maybe it will allow you to create and save your own layers for covers... stuff like that.

I don't get it

Don't we have those?

I get the impression that it's going to be a digital creation and publishing suite that may make comic creation simpler for the masses. Perhaps it will have tools to build a page layout or dynamic panel transitions or speech bubbles and text for you... maybe it will allow you to create and save your own layers for covers... stuff like that.

Yeah, I got that impression after looking into it as well.

While it might be a good platform to get some good fan story's out there, imagine all the drek you're going to have to wade through to find the few good ones? Mannn... I wouldn't have the patience.

While it might be a good platform to get some good fan story's out there, imagine all the drek you're going to have to wade through to find the few good ones? Mannn... I wouldn't have the patience.

That's how I feel about Moderns.

Great another way to flood the market with wanna be comic creators. As if there wasn't already a billion webcomics and climbing.

I don't get it

Don't we have those?

hopefully a good rating system and then the good work can shine through

I don't get it

Don't we have those?

hopefully a good rating system and then the good work can shine through

You should see the top rated stuff on some of the current sites. Here's the top rated comic currently at Topweb:

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/archive.php?p=1

That's how I feel about Moderns.

lol So true.