• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC shipping and different tiers of grading. Ouch

43 posts in this topic

I was thinking of signing up for the Premium Membership...I have been subbing through an authorized CGC dealer. As I am in Canada, I asked about shipping. Here is the reply:

"We only ship via FedEx internationally and that will only cover $100 of liability Insurance. It is $60 for 1-10 books, $75 for 11-20 & $90 for 21-30. Please note that this applies per invoice up to a max of 30 books. If you have multiple invoices, different tiers of service for instance, they will each ship individually."

Damn.

I think I'd still call first, but if that is the case, that sucks. Sorry...

-slym

It really does I guess depend on who you ask. I submitted books for a customer in Canada a couple of months ago. CGC did combine two different service tiers. One was done about two weeks before the other.

I too was told they only ship international via FedEx. If you want more than $100 in insurance, you need to arrange it yourself. There are places online that will sell single shipment policies.

I was thinking of signing up for the Premium Membership...I have been subbing through an authorized CGC dealer.

Just remember, you can submit directly to CGC yourself for free, plus you get a free 10% discount (option #3). You do NOT have to pay for ANY kind of membership to do this, you don't have to use an authorized dealer, you just send your books directly to CGC yourself for FREE. NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED.

I was thinking of signing up for the Premium Membership...I have been subbing through an authorized CGC dealer.

Just remember, you can submit directly to CGC yourself for free, plus you get a free 10% discount (option #3). You do NOT have to pay for ANY kind of membership to do this, you don't have to use an authorized dealer, you just send your books directly to CGC yourself for FREE. NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED.

Who are you ? This is not true according to CGC's site. Note the word 'Paid".

1. You may submit comics if you are a paid member of CGC Collectors Society

Welcome back Stu :hi: and no, direct submission privileges require a paid account (the cheapest of which I believe is $39 a year).

Who are you ? This is not true according to CGC's site. Note the word 'Paid".

1. You may submit comics if you are a paid member of CGC Collectors Society

Right, that is one of three options on that page (and the Coupons are a good deal if you have expensive books). Option 3 is the one you want, it's free and you get a free 10% discount.

Welcome back Stu :hi: and no, direct submission privileges require a paid account (the cheapest of which I believe is $39 a year).

Sorry, you're incorrect. If you use Option 3 you send the books yourself directly to CGC with NO membership fee whatsover.

Edit: there may be some confusion because I think you do need a membership if you want to submit to CGC when CGC is at a convention, but that's it. If you want to do it the regular way through the mail, Option 3 is the free way to go!

Stu,

Yes and no. The option 3 you are referring to is using an internet partner of CGC. You are still using a facilitator. You cannot just print out any invoice and send it in. You have to use a specific invoice, in this case here is Mile High's http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?affiliate=MH which btw requirers you to do some digging to find.

Stu,

Yes and no. The option 3 you are referring to is using an internet partner of CGC. You are still using a facilitator. You cannot just print out any invoice and send it in. You have to use a specific invoice, in this case here is Mile High's http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?affiliate=MH which btw requirers you to do some digging to find.

(bold part) Yes, you can!

No, it's much simpiler than that. Click on any link in Option 3, it doesn't matter who you click. You go to their website and find the "free 10% CGC discount" link. Click that, and you're taken back to CGC's page. You print out the invoices, pack your comics, and send them directly to CGC. You do NOT send your books to the internet partner, the books go directly from your hands to CGC. No membership required.

And if anyone doubts, just try it. Click those links in Option 3, you'll see where you end up. (don't worry, you're not obligated to send anything in :) )

So your saying that an individual cannot only submit directy to CGC, but they get a 10% discount? Without a paid membership?

I'm sorry but your incorrect and I don't believe you. Get CGC to confim this or some other type of proof. Just because you can mail it doesn't mean a darn thing.

I can mail CGC 10 books with a 50% discount, doesn't mean they'll honor it and grade the books.

Where are you getting your info?

Stu is right - you can submit through CGC's affiliate links (like the one from Superworld Comics below) which will allow you to send the books directly to CGC without having to be a member of the collector's society.

http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?GradingCompany=CGC&affiliate=SW

Thanks!

It's been that way for 14 years, but CGC conveniently likes to bury this info. That's why I always post it, 'cause so many Noobs out there think you HAVE to buy a membership.

Sorry, you're incorrect. If you use Option 3 you send the books yourself directly to CGC with NO membership fee whatsover.

Edit: there may be some confusion because I think you do need a membership if you want to submit to CGC when CGC is at a convention, but that's it. If you want to do it the regular way through the mail, Option 3 is the free way to go!

The bold part is false. I do not have a membership of any kind. I have successfully submitted books on 4 occasions at various conventions CGC was setup at. I just walked up, filled out the form they had on the table, handed them my books, provided payment / shipping info and was given the green copy of the paperwork.

Each time I was able to call in and get the status of my submission.

I also received no discount on my submission.

Membership does give you the ability to track the process online.

And if anyone doubts, just try it. Click those links in Option 3, you'll see where you end up. (don't worry, you're not obligated to send anything in :) )

So your saying that an individual cannot only submit directy to CGC, but they get a 10% discount? Without a paid membership?

Yup. And the free discount used to be 20%!

I'm sorry but your incorrect and I don't believe you.

A small wager then? lol

Get CGC to confim this or some other type of proof. Just because you can mail it doesn't mean a darn thing.

I can mail CGC 10 books with a 50% discount, doesn't mean they'll honor it and grade the books.

Where would you get the invoices from?

Where are you getting your info?

I'm getting my info from CGC's website.

The bold part is false. I do not have a membership of any kind. I have successfully submitted books on 4 occasions at various conventions CGC was setup at. I just walked up, filled out the form they had on the table, handed them my books, provided payment / shipping info and was given the green copy of the paperwork.

Each time I was able to call in and get the status of my submission.

I also received no discount on my submission.

Membership does give you the ability to track the process online.

Thanks, that's excellent first-hand info!

And your last 2 lines are true, no free 10% discount at shows and no online tracking.

Stu,

You and I must be talking past one another? I never said you have to send the books to the facilitator, I said that you have to use their form. We are in violent agreement that you can freely submit when using a facilitators invoice. I'm saying you do not get direct submission privileges (which allows you to check on the status without having to call customer service) without paying.

Stu,

You and I must be talking past one another? I never said you have to send the books to the facilitator...

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

...I said that you have to use their form. We are in violent agreement that you can freely submit when using a facilitators invoice.

This is the part I misunderstood. Mschmidt posted a link to what the invoice looks like, is that what you mean?

I'm saying you do not get direct submission privileges (which allows you to check on the status without having to call customer service) without paying.

Right, you don't get online tracking when you use Option 3. Is that a huge dealbreaker?

Maybe we're stumbling on semantics? You're talking about "direct submission privileges " while I'm talking about submitting directly to CGC with no middleman (and no privileges)?

Ok so lets break this down because there's some confusion.

So your stating that any individual can submit books directly to CGC? Thats true as long as you are either a paid member or using their internet partners account. Thats what you were saying correct? I send my books to CGC under of the the partners accounts.

I'm with you there.

Where is this 10% or 20% coming from? Thats what I'm confused about.

Ok so lets break this down because there's some confusion.

So your stating that any individual can submit books directly to CGC? Thats true as long as you are either a paid member or using their internet partners account. Thats what you were saying correct?

Right, you can send in your books if you have a membership and you can send in your books if you don't have a membership ;)

Where is this 10% or 20% coming from? Thats what I'm confused about.

No, it's much simpiler than that. Click on any link in Option 3, it doesn't matter who you click. You go to their website and find the "free 10% CGC discount" link. Click that, and you're taken back to CGC's page. You print out the invoices, pack your comics, and send them directly to CGC. You do NOT send your books to the internet partner, the books go directly from your hands to CGC. No membership required.

The 20% is what the free discount used to be, they changed that long ago.