• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unhappy encounter at the Post Office

98 posts in this topic

IF your packages do not adhere to expected color/size norms under media mail policies, they will be inspected, you will fail inspection and you will be forced to ship certified mail only.

Sorry, I made that up but it seemed fitting based on some of the information shared so far in the thread.

Which pieces of information?

-slym

It's all about who works at your post office. With that said, I love my local post office. They never try to shove books in my mailbox.

I love my PO, those guys & gals are all great (esp. the cute South American lady - too bad she is married!)

However, I have three different mailpersons that can deliver to my house. The lady isn't very common, I think Saturdays only, and I have no complaints. The two guys that vary through the weekdays, well... one is worthy of Christmas cookies, the other, not so much. He took the cardboard mailer my (admittedly free) copy of "Zombie Tramp" the boardie here sent out and folded it in half to fit in the mailbox. He is the same guy I have witnessed throwing (not just casually tossing but throwing) a Priority box into the back of his truck after a pickup at my house. He and all those like him are why I pack the way I do.

Luckily, I have yet to have anyone complain about damage. More often than not, I get praise on my packaging. If only they could see what the one guy does to their boxes sometimes...

:eek:

-slym

addendum - the one mailman that I said is worthy of Christmas cookies is SUPER! He always checks the front porch visually for parcels I have going out that I may not have had time enough to schedule a pickup, and gets out to pick them up with no complaints. I have even put stuff out after he has delivered, and when he delivers the across-the-street neighbour's mail he will still stop and pick my parcels up. He is def. getting a gift card for Christmas this year. The other guy... not so much, as I have stated.

;)

-slym

I would like to ask if anyone else has had their Media Mail packages treated roughly, it seems everytime I get a media mail delivery some of the postmen (not all as my one guy actually is so nice to bring my packages to my front door and place them nicely on the floor or hand them to me if I'm home) seem to just throw or basically rough up my media mail packages

I would like to ask if anyone else has had their Media Mail packages treated roughly, it seems everytime I get a media mail delivery some of the postmen (not all as my one guy actually is so nice to bring my packages to my front door and place them nicely on the floor or hand them to me if I'm home) seem to just throw or basically rough up my media mail packages

I haven't had any complaints from my buyers. Again, I get compliments for my packing skills, whether they are Priority, Media, or my "well protected" 1st Class envelopes.

:)

-slym

So do tpb's officially quality as media? I've often wondered that.

Yes. Like books, as long as the ads inside are "in-house," the USPS doesn't qualify them as advertisements. They are talking about video games, bubble gum, Coca-Cola, and the like as far as ads are concerned.

-slym

My mailman is a hard working guy. I always give him cash for Christmas to make up for the numerous boxes he has to bring me or pick up every week. :)

Yes. Like books, as long as the ads inside are "in-house," the USPS doesn't qualify them as advertisements. They are talking about video games, bubble gum, Coca-Cola, and the like as far as ads are concerned.

-slym

-slym

Apparently they do not like sea-monkeys or X-Ray specs either.

wasn't the whole "no advertising" rule to keep the bulk ad flyers in a higher rate category? You know,the pre-internet,mailbox stuffings.

And somewhere after the advent of internet & ebay when comic collecting exploded,the PO figured it was a chance to make more money by dragging up the advertising rule.

But I do have a question though.Would a collage text book on advertising qualify for media mail?

Do you mean a textbook about making collages wrapped in Sunday ads from the newspaper?

wasn't the whole "no advertising" rule to keep the bulk ad flyers in a higher rate category? You know,the pre-internet,mailbox stuffings.

And somewhere after the advent of internet & ebay when comic collecting exploded,the PO figured it was a chance to make more money by dragging up the advertising rule.

But I do have a question though.Would a collage text book on advertising qualify for media mail?

No because it already fits the criteria of being a textbook and advertisements are incidental to the textbook.

Buzz dont you mean YES it qualifies for media mail (since the ads are of an educational nature rather than actual advertisements)?

YES! I hate it when boardies ship my stuff via Media Mail! It costs me extra and the USPS destroys it in the process of opening it. NM? Not now! Thanks for charging me a premium for readers!

Media Mail was called "Library Rate" for years. It was to allow libraries to receive books at a reduced rate. I had never heard that it was intended to promote literacy, but reading the internet indicates that if that were the case, it has been an abysmal failure.

You can make argue all day that comics are "books" and should therefore qualify, but let's be perfectly honest here. We aren't shipping books in the normal sense, we are shipping collectibles.

In the process of loaning 12 TPBs, I packed the loose areas of the box with old newspaper and wrapped it up tightly. When I went up to the postal clerk in the office, I simply stated, "I'd like to ship this by ground, please." She asked what the contents were and all I said was "books." She stamped the box "Media Mail" and didn't give me any guff.