• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unhappy encounter at the Post Office

98 posts in this topic

I bring a couple of packages in to ship media mail when the clerk asks whats in them. Books, I reply. Which is mostly true. While there were a few comics in them, they were mostly TPBs and Omni's. She asks me directly if there are any comic books in them?

While I'm thinking how to answer, she tells me that ALL media mail is inspected before it leaves the station. I make an excuse and leave.

It was nice while it lasted.

I've never once been questioned about media mail, but with so many questions popping up about it lately, I've stopped. Now I send everything less than 1 lb 1st class and everything over priority.

Or maybe, " I understand, just doing your job."

If its true that all Media Mail is being opened, then I appreciate the heads up.

I send one package yesteday that went media and contained an omni. Lets see if its opened when it arrives.

They might be on a directive as to questioning and opening media mail for the flavor of the month.

I remember when the postal clerk, (who has seen me go to her window for years) laughed each time as she had to ask me the routine of questions along with whether or not I wanted to upgrade to priority or express for "X" amount and then have to point out that it was only "y" amount more than I was spending. Then she would inquire as to if I wanted stamps or a money order.

I've never understood this with the American postal system.

Why does the presence of advertising, advertising that can be decades old, matter?

What exactly is the USPS 'losing' by allowing comic books to be posted the same as books?

(shrug)

Just print it online and drop it in the box. No way to ask you questions then.

There is no way they open it all.

What exactly is the USPS 'losing' by allowing comic books to be posted the same as books?

(shrug)

Money.

-slym

How are they losing money?

Where is the definitive difference between the two contents of the package?

Just curious!

In California anyway any parcel one pound or more gets returned to sender and must be dropped off to a postal clerk.

(shrug)

Money.

-slym

Just curious!

By not forcing you to send it a more expensive way.

In California anyway any parcel one pound or more gets returned to sender and must be dropped off to a postal clerk.

Whoa. Thatd be the end of me selling online. My PO line is anywhere form 40min to 1.5 hour line.

(shrug)

Money.

-slym

Just curious!

their thinking is media is anything designed to be purely for reading or whatever no commercial intent like advertisements. I dont know what they would do about indy comics with no ads.

Whoa. Thatd be the end of me selling online. My PO line is anywhere form 40min to 1.5 hour line.

It's a hassle

Post office always has one clerk and that one lady with a million questions paying by check....

It's a hassle

Post office always has one clerk and that one lady with a million questions paying by check....

Got a source for this? When I lived in SF, I did free USPS carrier pickups all the time.

It's a hassle

Got a source for this? When I lived in SF, I did free USPS carrier pickups all the time.

This notice is on every box. As long as you hand it to a postal employee you're fine.

2917432848_d16c39e9e4.jpg

(shrug)

Money.

-slym

Just curious!

Media Mail is a loss, they only do it to promote literacy. It was created for libraries. So every time anyone ships anything via Media they lose money. They want to limit it as much as they can to strictly paperback books pretty much.