• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most important GOTG Book/s?

26 posts in this topic

If you care about the original Guardians of the Galaxy, possibly yes (although I think the characters were actually truly defined/refined by Steve Gerber immediately afterwards).

If you care about the in my opinion nonsensical team put hapazardly together by Marvel in recent years, I would not have a precise answer… also because they have a little to do with the originals.

Star Lord looks like a Baywatch character, the Raccoon has been turned into a sanguinary pet and Gamora received the usual "playmate" treatment to which most of Marvel’s female characters succumbed.

So my simple answer would be "no one", but I am sure there’s a better answer somewhere… :D

If you care about the original Guardians of the Galaxy, possibly yes (although I think the characters were actually truly defined/refined by Steve Gerber immediately afterwards).

If you care about the in my opinion nonsensical team put hapazardly together by Marvel in recent years, I would not have a precise answer… also because they have a little to do with the originals.

Star Lord looks like a Baywatch character, the Raccoon has been turned into a sanguinary pet and Gamora received the usual "playmate" treatment to which most of Marvel’s female characters succumbed.

So my simple answer would be "no one", but I am sure there’s a better answer somewhere… :D

would have to agree with this, none of them sounds about right, even though i'm hoping the movie is good

Lots of books to choose from for this movie and the prices and demand are all over the place.

I believe that Marvel Super heroes 18 is the one to have even though only one character is in this movie. It is Silver Age and relatively hard to find especially in high grade. The binding is is a real pain and almost always has issues. The first appearance always takes off even when collectors initially reject the hype.

The market chose Hulk 271 early on but there is not a lot of room for growth as the price appears maxed out.

Your best bang for your buck has to be Marvel Spotlight 6 with Starlords first comic book appearance. It is still very underpriced and available. My 2nd choice is Hulk Annual 5 with the 2nd Groot appearance. Fantastic four 65 is still out there and reasonable for a silver age book but getting expensive. I have a feeling FF 65 is going to only get hotter. It has a few things going on. Ronan of course, a key storyline for continuity collectors and the introduction of the Kree. The Shield tv show is giving us a preview that Marvel has big things planned for the Kree. Inhumans 11 with Korath is also a sleeper that you can pick up at reasonable prices.

The only Silver Age GOTG-related book I think worth having is Tales to Astonish #13.

That book has nothing to do with any iteration of GOTG.

The only Silver Age GOTG-related book I think worth having is Tales to Astonish #13.

So Groot isn't in the current line-up? :facepalm:

Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_13.jpg

Groot's in it, but not that Groot.

It's the same Groot according to Marvel:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Groot_%28Earth-616%29

Whether you love the idea of this movie or hate it, this is going to be big. Disney marketing muscle and Marvel building the comic book franchise are two good reasons but to me the biggest is this will be the introduction of the Marvel Cosmic Universe and the infinite world and characters that come along with it. When this movie breaks the comics associated with this will rise with the tide. Ultimately the market will decide which ones and how much but isn't this one of the things that makes collecting interesting.

At the bottom of that page the information would suggest that the Groot in Hulk Annual 5 is not the same Groot though, meaning that that book isn't really a second appearance.

I expect this movie to be a monster flop.

I'm a comic geek and I've never been interested in this stuff. I really don't think the general public is going to flock to this, regardless of how much marketing there is.

Remember, Disney made the John Carter movie too. :D

Whether you love the idea of this movie or hate it, this is going to be big. Disney marketing muscle and Marvel building the comic book franchise are two good reasons but to me the biggest is this will be the introduction of the Marvel Cosmic Universe and the infinite world and characters that come along with it. When this movie breaks the comics associated with this will rise with the tide. Ultimately the market will decide which ones and how much but isn't this one of the things that makes collecting interesting.

I'm a comic geek and I've never been interested in this stuff. I really don't think the general public is going to flock to this, regardless of how much marketing there is.

If the movie's decent, it'll do fine. If it's garbage, it will be a flop.

After seeing the trailer at X-Men DOFP I'm not optimistic about GOTG either.

Lots of books to choose from for this movie and the prices and demand are all over the place.

I believe that Marvel Super heroes 18 is the one to have even though only one character is in this movie. It is Silver Age and relatively hard to find especially in high grade. The binding is is a real pain and almost always has issues. The first appearance always takes off even when collectors initially reject the hype.

The market chose Hulk 271 early on but there is not a lot of room for growth as the price appears maxed out.

Your best bang for your buck has to be Marvel Spotlight 6 with Starlords first comic book appearance. It is still very underpriced and available. My 2nd choice is Hulk Annual 5 with the 2nd Groot appearance. Fantastic four 65 is still out there and reasonable for a silver age book but getting expensive. I have a feeling FF 65 is going to only get hotter. It has a few things going on. Ronan of course, a key storyline for continuity collectors and the introduction of the Kree. The Shield tv show is giving us a preview that Marvel has big things planned for the Kree. Inhumans 11 with Korath is also a sleeper that you can pick up at reasonable prices.

I agree. The absolute key one would be Marvel Super-heroes 18, but that is also very hard in HG because of the size.

TTA13 would also be nice because it's probably the scarcest overall of the GOTG related books.

At the bottom of that page the information would suggest that the Groot in Hulk Annual 5 is not the same Groot though, meaning that that book isn't really a second appearance.

:screwy:

Yes, it definitely is.

But - it is also an annoying characteristic of the hobby - because it means that we can never be 100% sure that the huge key we buy today is still as hot in 20 years.. nor can we be sure that we are forever "the high rollers" if we get the bigger keys.. because some upcoming new-kid-on-the-block might come and overtake this.

AF15 wasn't even very big in the 60ties and not even there in the 50ties for example... yet, it has taken over almost all of the other heroes in our hobby.

And now we may have new generations coming up... annoying the $%^& out of many people who thought they had finally secured comics that would be great also in 40 years..

For example, the first Spectre books were some of the top books some years ago... and not so much any more.

The dynamic aspect is one of the most interesting and at the same time annoying things about the hobby... to the extent that some people prefer to convince themselves there is (or should be) no dynamism.

At this point, I would like to read the Hulk Annual, which I never had.

Hard to imagine "the monster from Planet X", apparently tall as a skyscraper and slashing down buildings, in the same vein as the Hulk which morphed quite naturally into Xemnu (but again, Roy Thomas is awesome).