• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your percentage

Missed Restoration Percentage  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Missed Restoration Percentage

10 posts in this topic

I've submitted several hundred books with the majority of them being Bronze and Silver. I have never had one unexpectedly come back PLOD. However I have had 2 GA books come back with missing pages.

I think the OP meant "slight-amateur", not "silver age".

Sorry, that's right. One is coming back slight-amateur. About half are coming back Silver Age. But I didn't miss that the Silver Age comics were Silver Age.

I just checked my inventory -- I'm at 3 Purples and a Green out of about 60 submissions so far.

Here are the details: On my very first submission back in late 2012, two of my Silver-Age FF's (#56, #72) came back SA (color touch). I remember *exactly* where and when I got these issues. I bought them mail-order from J&S comics (the new jersey outfit) circa 1981-1982. As memory serves, I paid about $7 each for them and had purchased them as NM copies. I have no idea if their original advertisement provided any kind of guarantee against restoration.

In early 2013 I sent in my second submission. Again, I really didn't think about restoration, as this submission was primarily from my collection as original owner. However, I did add a very nice (to my eyes) raw New X-Men run I had just purchased from my LCS for $300 (#101-105; I assessed these books as all 8.5 or better, and I hoped they might press into the low 9's). My LCS owner said the seller claimed he was the original owner of the entire collection. Well, check this out...

All of my original owner books came back great, but I had some pretty rough results with the five X-men books:

X-Men #101 9.2 Universal (w/ comment "Chris Claremont written at bottom of first page." (I opened the book to check PQ, but missed it.) I was relieved I didn't pick up a green label.

X-Men #102 Universal 9.4

X-Men #103 Universal 9.0

X-Men #104 QUALIFIED 9.0 (detached upper staple; I completely overlooked it, and I still can't really tell inside the slab.)

X-Men #105 RESTORED 9.2 SA (slight color touch again).

So now, I'm a bit more battle-hardened, but I'm still no restoration expert. I do try to look for trimming, I bought a black light bulb I can swap in on my desk lamp, and I also look inside the front cover for bleed-through. I've got seven more Silver and Bronze age books sitting in "Graded" status, and I nervously await the results. This submission includes a Capt America #113, X-Men #119, Avengers #116, Swamp Thing (1974) #12, and a *gorgeous* copy of Tomb Of Dracula #17. My heart will break if that ToD comes back w/ purple label.