• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Marvel Premiere #15 GRADE IN !

31 posts in this topic

Grade in. I thought 9.0 was light in the beginning. Scans did not do this justice.

Tim hm nice 3 grade jump . what where you giving me half your effort the first time? nice job. honorable 2cond to Divid. Pm your adress and ill send some books

^^ Timern ! unless divid wants to argue it was a 2cond attempt.. both pm addresses i got some swag !

THIS WILL BE FOR SALE FOR 650-700 under GPA posted soon.

marvelpremiere15_zpse76008de.jpg

First of all congrats. Second of all WOW, very confused now

You shouldn't be. First off, a scan will almost always make a book look worse than it is. Unless you're scanning at 38,000 DPI the pixels are always going to make a stress line or soft corner look worse then it is. Depending on how the light hits the book it can make a beauty look subpar. And even a great scanner can only break down a miniscule area so much before the broken color in a stress line "bleeds" into the next pixel.

A 9.6 isn't a perfect book. If it was it'd be a 10.0. With this book the stress lines are all minor, the corners are nice and obviously the surface is free of indentations. Some of what you see in the spine area are color flecks/or scanner artifacts. Both staples look totally free of any discoloration. Any bindery issues are allowable although I don't see any.

The back cover scan looks flawless. I could see people arguing that the LRFC looks "off" but if that was the way it was printed than it shouldn't be hammered. And even then the scanning process can play tricks with everything. That's why there is a disclaimer stating that grading a book from a scan is completely arbitrary. Those stress lines? They most likely seem worse than they are because the scanner cannot fine tune the pic any better. When you get to a stress line like that it will almost always look worse than it is because it cannot break down those areas and offer a realistic look.

It also seems the prevailing theme for the last 10-12 years is that a book should be graded based on anything and everything that happens AFTER it leaves the printer. Production issues should only be taken into account when contemplating a 9.8 grade. That's when you can deduct for a bindery issue.

The moral of the story is that we had plenty of folks grading this book as a 9.0 but 3 separate graders at CGC saw it 3 grades better. What does that say? You can't judge a book by its scan. You can only make your decision based upon the info that the poster/grader gives you.

Grade in. I thought 9.0 was light in the beginning. Scans did not do this justice.

Tim hm nice 3 grade jump . what where you giving me half your effort the first time? nice job. honorable 2cond to Divid. Pm your adress and ill send some books

^^ Timern ! unless divid wants to argue it was a 2cond attempt.. both pm addresses i got some swag !

THIS WILL BE FOR SALE FOR 650-700 under GPA posted soon.

marvelpremiere15_zpse76008de.jpg

Pardonnez-moi, but WTF? I was the only one who nailed it. Period. Tim guessed 9.0. You don't get a second chance - it's like parallel parking! lol

First of all congrats. Second of all WOW, very confused now

You shouldn't be. First off, a scan will almost always make a book look worse than it is. Unless you're scanning at 38,000 DPI the pixels are always going to make a stress line or soft corner look worse then it is. Depending on how the light hits the book it can make a beauty look subpar. And even a great scanner can only break down a miniscule area so much before the broken color in a stress line "bleeds" into the next pixel.

A 9.6 isn't a perfect book. If it was it'd be a 10.0. With this book the stress lines are all minor, the corners are nice and obviously the surface is free of indentations. Some of what you see in the spine area are color flecks/or scanner artifacts. Both staples look totally free of any discoloration. Any bindery issues are allowable although I don't see any.

The back cover scan looks flawless. I could see people arguing that the LRFC looks "off" but if that was the way it was printed than it shouldn't be hammered. And even then the scanning process can play tricks with everything. That's why there is a disclaimer stating that grading a book from a scan is completely arbitrary. Those stress lines? They most likely seem worse than they are because the scanner cannot fine tune the pic any better. When you get to a stress line like that it will almost always look worse than it is because it cannot break down those areas and offer a realistic look.

It also seems the prevailing theme for the last 10-12 years is that a book should be graded based on anything and everything that happens AFTER it leaves the printer. Production issues should only be taken into account when contemplating a 9.8 grade. That's when you can deduct for a bindery issue.

The moral of the story is that we had plenty of folks grading this book as a 9.0 but 3 separate graders at CGC saw it 3 grades better. What does that say? You can't judge a book by its scan. You can only make your decision based upon the info that the poster/grader gives you.

Well said, but what it really says is that people around here can't grade sh it from shinola. :grin: