• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surely this can't be worth this amount....and so soon into the auction

55 posts in this topic

Guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The high bidder is Colmore Comics, they are an Australian dealer with a website. Perhaps it for resell, perhaps the owner is a big fan of high grade Batman 80 pagers. confused-smiley-013.gif

Guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The high bidder is Colmore Comics, they are an Australian dealer with a website. Perhaps it for resell, perhaps the owner is a big fan of high grade Batman 80 pagers. confused-smiley-013.gif
Current top bidder is Mark Arrand with Joseph Serpico Jr., as the current runner-up. Anyone who has watched eBay knows that if either of these two bidder want a book, it will cost a lot to beat them. When they both meet up, watch out! Christo_pull_hair.gif

CGC Fan,

As the seller of this comic, I believe your use of the word "fleecing" to describe my auction is not justified and unfair. To fleece means to swindle. If you had taken the time to look at my auction, you will see that I started it at 1 cent with no reserve. The current price and the closing price will reflect a true market value. Yes, there is much fleecing in the market by sellers who purposefully set high reserves and starting prices on books that can be found for a few dollars at any convention. Many of these fleecers are the biggest names in the hobby. But I'm not one of them. Do not mistake my tone for anger; it's not. Like you, I also despise the "fleecers" in the hobby -- I just don't want to unfairly be pegged as one of them.

Why has this book soared in price? In fact, it IS a key book in that it is the first of the giant-sized Batman issues, much like Spidey 102 or FF 116 -- only much older. Fuelman is correct when he speculates I am a big fan of giant-size DCs. I have every Batman from 1960 up, and I think this is one of the toughest issues to find in true high grade. I've been collecting since the 1970s, and this is the only copy I have ever found with a square spine, non-protruding staples, and no tanning to the white cover. It is a spectacular book, and the current high bidders are two of the biggest DC fans out there. They are not stupid. They know how tough this is to find.

The only reason I'm selling this is cause I was talking via email with Greggy this past summer about how tough it was to find Batman 238 in high grade, so he made me curious enough to look through my collection for "slab-worthy" Batmans. I just got it back from CGC a couple weeks ago and was going to put it back in my Batman box when I saw the Batman #189 go for over $4K. To me, that means the Batman market pre-movie hype has started and it's a great time for me to sell.

I hope this clears up any issues about me "fleecing" fellow collectors. In fact, many on these boards know me from conventions, emails, have traded, bought, and sold with me. So make no mistake that my auction is legitimate: I am a fair and honest seller who loves comics, just like you.

The high bidder is Colmore Comics, they are an Australian dealer with a website.

Colmore Comics = Mark Arrand = English gossip.gif

The US dollar is plummeting to fresh lows against the pound, the Aussie dollar and the Euro, so I wouldn`t be surprised to see renewed aggressive bidding from buyers in these countries.

CGC Fan,

As the seller of this comic, I believe your use of the word "fleecing" to describe my auction is not justified and unfair. To fleece means to swindle. If you had taken the time to look at my auction, you will see that I started it at 1 cent with no reserve. The current price and the closing price will reflect a true market value. Yes, there is much fleecing in the market by sellers who purposefully set high reserves and starting prices on books that can be found for a few dollars at any convention. Many of these fleecers are the biggest names in the hobby. But I'm not one of them. Do not mistake my tone for anger; it's not. Like you, I also despise the "fleecers" in the hobby -- I just don't want to unfairly be pegged as one of them.

Why has this book soared in price? In fact, it IS a key book in that it is the first of the giant-sized Batman issues, much like Spidey 102 or FF 116 -- only much older. Fuelman is correct when he speculates I am a big fan of giant-size DCs. I have every Batman from 1960 up, and I think this is one of the toughest issues to find in true high grade. I've been collecting since the 1970s, and this is the only copy I have ever found with a square spine, non-protruding staples, and no tanning to the white cover. It is a spectacular book, and the current high bidders are two of the biggest DC fans out there. They are not stupid. They know how tough this is to find.

The only reason I'm selling this is cause I was talking via email with Greggy this past summer about how tough it was to find Batman 238 in high grade, so he made me curious enough to look through my collection for "slab-worthy" Batmans. I just got it back from CGC a couple weeks ago and was going to put it back in my Batman box when I saw the Batman #189 go for over $4K. To me, that means the Batman market pre-movie hype has started and it's a great time for me to sell.

I hope this clears up any issues about me "fleecing" fellow collectors. In fact, many on these boards know me from conventions, emails, have traded, bought, and sold with me. So make no mistake that my auction is legitimate: I am a fair and honest seller who loves comics, just like you.

My only question is....why are you talking to Greggy? screwy.gif

I just got it back from CGC a couple weeks ago and was going to put it back in my Batman box when I saw the Batman #189 go for over $4K. To me, that means the Batman market pre-movie hype has started and it's a great time for me to sell.

I was with ya until here!! If he can get crazy money now, why not you!!?

893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.giftongue.gif

Personally, I think it is crazy money. For me, the $900+ would be put towards a nice 8.0 or above golden age. I don't doubt that it is a tough book to find. I looked at the copies I have and one is ~6.5 and the other is a 7.0. I know in the 28 years of collecting, if I had seen a high grade copy, I would have bought it (excluding the last 4 years). Again, this is just my personal taste. I will always take Golden-Age over Silver-Age, but I think if you follow the rule "buy the best", your return on the investment will always be better provided you can afford to hold on to it for a while.

youre being a bit contradictory: for $900 you cany buy any GA Bat issue and have the BEST... but this 9.6 copy IS the best. I agree with your buying strategy in general, but in this case at this amount, no point in getting a nice 8.0 GA Bat over a top copy of a tough annual. Im a Bat collector and Id go for the 8.0 GA if I needed the issue over overpaying for this 9.6.... but in 'theory' buying the best is correct, which in this choice would be the SA annual.

CGC Fan,

While I will stand behind anyhting and everything that i say on this forum, I think that my "tongue in cheek" comment about fleecing was taken as a swipe at you (the seller) -

Nothing could be further from the truth. It was meant more as a reflection of the price that your book has reached in a short period of time. And having two well known high bidders going at it. -

Look, it's a spectacular book and I was a huge DC/ Batman collector before changing exclusively to art....and even now, i focus on DC original art. - But this is really alot to pay for a book that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible , to resell at the value it will probably end at...I know this from personal experinance. I had some great high grade DC keys that I thought people would be begging me for...only to find it not to be true...in fact, in every instance except one, no one wanted the books....course, if Serpi wins it, it won't be seen again. smirk.gif

Aman619 & Batman Fan,

"Crazy money" is the perfect term for this, and the obverse argument is that it's therefore crazy for me to keep something like this considering the salary I make as a teacher. If I made more, I would keep the comic. Keeping a $1000 + comic in their closet is really not a luxury most collectors can afford. When I do sell it I will seek out a nice 8.0 or so for less than $100 to replace it in my run. So I agree with you 100% in your buying strategy, Batman Fan: Mine is the same. As far as I'm concerned, when I go through my comic collection with jeweler's glasses examining issues that look like they might make CGC 9.4 or up, it's kind of like winning the lottery when I find one. Sometimes an 8.5 is indistinguisable from a 9.4. So it is crazy money to me, but not to those who can afford it or have been seeking this book for a while. Even crazier money, in my opinion, is being paid for modern books which are plentiful in the census. Don't get me started on that topic...

CGC Fan,

Thanks for the clarifying words. That you read my post and responded to it logically and not defensively says a lot about you as a person, and I appreciate it. It also says a lot about the intelligent clientele of these boards. I look forward to becoming more involved with these boards over time instead of just "lurking"...

CGC Fan,

My only question is....why are you talking to Greggy? screwy.gif

We should have known that Greggy was behind this!

That Cunning, Puppet-Master of DC's!

sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, there are only a few golden age Batmans where an 8.0 would constitute the best. For the first 50 issues, there is at least and 8.5 for all issues.

I don't really see how I was contradicting myself on the reply. For me I would prefer sending the money for the golden age rather than silver, if if it is the best of the best, just my preference. I have also not seen 176 in high grade during my collecting years, again just an observation. Lastly I say if you follow many long time collectors recommendation "buy the best", you can't go wrong which is what I have observed over the years as well. Again, just my opinion.

Aman619 & Batman Fan,

"Crazy money" is the perfect term for this, and the obverse argument is that it's therefore crazy for me to keep something like this considering the salary I make as a teacher. If I made more, I would keep the comic. Keeping a $1000 + comic in their closet is really not a luxury most collectors can afford. When I do sell it I will seek out a nice 8.0 or so for less than $100 to replace it in my run. So I agree with you 100% in your buying strategy, Batman Fan: Mine is the same. As far as I'm concerned, when I go through my comic collection with jeweler's glasses examining issues that look like they might make CGC 9.4 or up, it's kind of like winning the lottery when I find one. Sometimes an 8.5 is indistinguisable from a 9.4. So it is crazy money to me, but not to those who can afford it or have been seeking this book for a while. Even crazier money, in my opinion, is being paid for modern books which are plentiful in the census. Don't get me started on that topic...

CGC Fan,

Thanks for the clarifying words. That you read my post and responded to it logically and not defensively says a lot about you as a person, and I appreciate it. It also says a lot about the intelligent clientele of these boards. I look forward to becoming more involved with these boards over time instead of just "lurking"...

i like it when everybody makes up in the end........ grin.gif

personally, i don't find $900 for about a 1966 Batman Squarebound in 9.6 to be that wild a price. i'm pretty sure someone is selling the # 171 (i know - 1st silver age riddler - big deal) in 9.4 for $4000. now THAT is some silly money......

i just wish all my Batman Annuals were in better shape. i picked #5 as the best and it's on it's way to Sarasota - we'll see...........

BTW - welcome to the boards......... thumbsup2.gif

I also don't fault the seller of this book in the least, if he can get $10k for the book, more power to him. I know in the past I was willing to spend what I considered crazy money for books. As an example, I bid $1500 on the Comiclink Batman 68 in 8.0 and $2400 for the Batman 73 in 8.5. I own both books but want to upgrade my copies and I considered this to be pretty big bids (more than 2x guide). Guess what, my definition of crazy money and someone elses were very different cause I didn't win either...

Yes, I am still a little sad...

and maybe bitter

Christo_pull_hair.gif