• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surely this can't be worth this amount....and so soon into the auction

55 posts in this topic

i agree with Batman fan....if the seller can get top dollar, why would anyone fault him for doing that...The future buyer knows exactly what they are getting and there is no "i was misled" argument.

as far as the squarebounds, they are infamous for being difficult and i have seen some horrible copies get 9.4s or better...so this leads me to wonder if CGC takes the squarebound into account when they grade. Now, i am not talking about this particular copy since i haven't looked at it in person...i just remember a Batman that was a 9.4 from a dealer that looked like an 8.0.......not the dealer's doing....but really, could anyone miss the tear at the bottom of the book and the 1" dent in the back cover ?! confused-smiley-013.gif

And a side note to the seller : you mentioned a Batman 238 in your first post.....did you get the grade on that puppy ? - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif THAT IS A TOUGH BOOK !! - thumbsup2.gif

Those are some tough numbers of the Batman run to fill in. The issues from #50 to about #130 are virtually impossible to find in decent shape, which, to me, is about 6.0 and up, and there is a lot of competition for these issues. It will only get worse as the Batman movie approaches (June 17th). I'm working on the low hundreds now. If I ever get them all, I will venture below #100. You must have an amazing collection.

The #238 came back an 8.5. It's a tremendous book: no ink smear, perfect square spine, and no major defects. Obviously, I will just put it back in my collection. If it came back a 9.4 or above, I would have put it up on eBay tonight with the other Batmans I just put up.

I was just thinking: I have now finished my first day on these forums (my first post was last night). Clearly it's a great place to be, and it's refreshing to talk comics with so many people who are into them as much as I am. I look forward to coming back on here in the coming days. It might be especially cool to talk about Batman comics and turn this into a thread about them. For example, what are your favorites? I would say the following, and I can only speak from #100 up, since that's all I have:

#121 Mr. Freeze - tough comic to find in high grade; mine's a CGC 8.0 app

#122 Batman gets married; Robin's jealous

#183 classic tv show cover

ANY Adams issue

Year 1

Ten Nights of the Beast

I think Detectives are for the most part better written than the main title, and I'm thinking of the ones in the 400s primarily.

Robin Year One was also surprisingly good.

Dark Knight of course is a classic.

I was just thinking: I have now finished my first day on these forums (my first post was last night). Clearly it's a great place to be, and it's refreshing to talk comics with so many people who are into them as much as I am. I look forward to coming back on here in the coming days.

Always great to have new members who have something to contribute, and it's always great to get a reminder that these boards ARE a great place. Some of us who've been on for a while get a bit jaded with all the flame wars and conspiracy theories and dead horses being beaten to a pulp, and forget that it's pretty cool to be able to speak with a bunch of knowledgeable people from all over the world about a common passion!

Comic Book Guy : I was thinking the Batman 238 was higher....I have only known of one 9.4 that was sold my a guy that i have dealt with in the past and i am sure it's never going to see the light of Ebay. - As far as my favorite Batman issues :

Detec 27, 31, 225, 359, 371, 377, 395, 400

Batman 1, 23, 100, 121, 171, 189, 227, 238, 244, 251, 300, year one, 426-429

BatmanFan : truly Spectacular books ! -

Batman_fan, thanks for sharing those books with us. I guess I'm a casual fan of Batman since I don't actively collect any Bat titles, but I LOVE looking at all the old Detective and Batman covers. I'd love to get a lot of the GA issues just to have them, but with everything else I'm trying to get, it just won't fit in my budget right now. Of the two GA issues I do own, one is a Detective issue (#151), and I love having it.

dude, these books are awesome. where's DAM? I have to email him the link to this thread...

I saw Burntboy's Bats (158?) the one with the Robin Dies at Dawn cover.... and that also made me drool.

thanks for sharing... I love a lot of these bat books.

Some would rather spend the $900 on a Hulk 191. Oooo!

I have a nice Hulk 191, or is it 192. Either way for 1100.00 I will sell them both, shipping included.I also have some old cracked open CGC slabs laying around here. I will include two for nothing!

Years from now you will look back on the "Hulk" purchase of 2004 and cry. Not a lot of tears, just a few to bring back that Holiday love.

Hey guys, I need a moment............