• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 38

18 posts in this topic

On this board, and in other places, there is always fondness for pre-robin tecs (i.e. and with good reason :cloud9:). However, Tec 38 seems to be a book that isn't talked about that much. With that being said, I wanted to get people's opinions on this book. What is the market for this book currently? What do people believe this book is worth right now as price per point (i.e. 4k per point book?).

What do people believe this book is worth right now as price per point (i.e. 4k per point book?).

Maybe in higher grades, but below 6.0, more like 2K to 2.5K per point.

What do people believe this book is worth right now as price per point (i.e. 4k per point book?).

That is kinda what I was thinking. It seems that this book overall is not as desirable as it use to be. (shrug)

That is kinda what I was thinking. It seems that this book overall is not as desirable as it use to be. (shrug)

The book is terrible at all levels and is largely attributed for destroying th original coolness of Batman. No one should consider buying this rotten book. :sumo:

:jokealert:

Actually I love the book. I have been trying to find the right copy to buy for several years, preferably raw. I hope it doesn't start to take off.

LOVE THIS BOOK! I own a CGC 3.0 BLUE. Let me preface what I am about to say with that I realize the $ absurdity of my next statement HOWEVER I'd rather have a TEC 38 than a Bats 1, Tec 31, 33, 35, 36, 0r 37 .. The 1st Batman and Robin TRUMPS all Bat books except a Tec 27. End of story for this guy. C'mon let me have it boardies!!! I think the CLINK sold a 3.0 for 11k not too long ago??

I like the book. Can't think of any other GA book with that salmon colored cover.

I think for a pre-teen audience, the addition of a kid sidekick was a no-brainer. But, as GA collectors today are pretty much 100% adults, the presence of a kid sidekick is an annoyance.

Actually I love the book. I have been trying to find the right copy to buy for several years, preferably raw. I hope it doesn't start to take off.

+1

Not that I think the book is going to suddenly catch fire, but at the end of the day the sidekick factor is balanced out, probably more than balanced out, by the idea that it's the 1st app of a character who has become pretty important in the modern DCU in his own right and transcended his sidekick status.

If we presume that the hobby is still developing new golden age collectors (which I think is true, and which the long term health of the GA market certainly depends on), then one would suspect that collectors who have come of age in the 2000s/2010s will probably have a more favorable view of the book than those of us who spent a couple decades cringing at Burt Ward / Adam West Bam Bif Pow mainstream media references.

For a lot of us who started collecting in the 70s, there was nothing negative about the Batman TV show. It was a staple of after school TV. And for collectors of my vintage, I think we're much more likely to identify Robin with his role as a lead character in the Wolfman-Perez New Teen Titans. In short, Robin was cool. DC didn't really ruin the character until later when the new Robin racket got started. My earliest exposure to Robin, who was not a very prominent character in the later 70s, was the Batman From the 30s to the 70s book with a lot of very cool 40s and 50s Batman stories.

If we presume that the hobby is still developing new golden age collectors (which I think is true, and which the long term health of the GA market certainly depends on), then one would suspect that collectors who have come of age in the 2000s/2010s will probably have a more favorable view of the book than those of us who spent a couple decades cringing at Burt Ward / Adam West Bam Bif Pow mainstream media references.