• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic connect auction thoughts

345 posts in this topic

I've added 50% premium to lower grade provenance books but I can't recall a single one in recent memory that went 300% (shrug)

He said 3 times guide, not 3 times FMV.

No way somebody paid 3 times FMV for that book because of provenance.

I had to finish up after midnight but I bit the bullet and bid on the Mile High Rangers. For the most part, the prices weren't too out of line with what I would have expected. Some got a bit stretched by the end though. The Heritage approach to internet bidding is 1 gazillion times better than waiting and waiting and waiting for some numbnut who likes to up the price with 1 second remaining. I guess they hope I will fall asleep before the next bid.

Why do they think anyone needs 3 minutes to respond to being outbid? It's like a 10 second thing.

Time for people to get emails or even phone calls. A delay of that length is common with auction houses selling big ticket items. And perhaps that is the key phrase "big ticket." If an item is selling for five figures then perhaps people need more time than somebody who is trying to snipe a 20 dollar book

The three minute extended bidding feature favours the consignor, but is constraining for the auction house - if CC ever want to increase the amount of lots in their auctions, it would either extend the amount of time for each day of the auction or add to the amount of days involved (five, as opposed to Clink and Heritage's three), which might be excessive.

It probably favors the consignor. I have seen several Boardies post about missing out on the sale because the auction took so long they gave up or they forgot to bid on one lot because they were concentrating on another. I have had similar challenges.

I wondered what it'd be like if there were a few books I wanted to bid on that were closing together - how do you keep up? I think a minute to a minute and a half is plenty of time - but I'm also not phone bidding or whatever that I couldn't respond in that timeframe.

I had to finish up after midnight but I bit the bullet and bid on the Mile High Rangers. For the most part, the prices weren't too out of line with what I would have expected. Some got a bit stretched by the end though. The Heritage approach to internet bidding is 1 gazillion times better than waiting and waiting and waiting for some numbnut who likes to up the price with 1 second remaining. I guess they hope I will fall asleep before the next bid.

Why do they think anyone needs 3 minutes to respond to being outbid? It's like a 10 second thing.

Time for people to get emails or even phone calls. A delay of that length is common with auction houses selling big ticket items. And perhaps that is the key phrase "big ticket." If an item is selling for five figures then perhaps people need more time than somebody who is trying to snipe a 20 dollar book

The three minute extended bidding feature favours the consignor, but is constraining for the auction house - if CC ever want to increase the amount of lots in their auctions, it would either extend the amount of time for each day of the auction or add to the amount of days involved (five, as opposed to Clink and Heritage's three), which might be excessive.

It probably favors the consignor. I have seen several Boardies post about missing out on the sale because the auction took so long they gave up or they forgot to bid on one lot because they were concentrating on another. I have had similar challenges.

I wondered what it'd be like if there were a few books I wanted to bid on that were closing together - how do you keep up? I think a minute to a minute and a half is plenty of time - but I'm also not phone bidding or whatever that I couldn't respond in that timeframe.

That's the catch. HA style, one auction closes before they go to the next one. CLink (or eBay or Sunday HA) the auction closes at a set time. Seems to me that either of those approaches is more sensible than the one CC uses. It's very annoying to have to jump back and forth between several auctions that are simultaneously in stoppage time.

Minute one is for exasperation, "hell no, I'm not bidding again!"

Minute two is the grieving process. "Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!"

Minute three is the recovery, "hell no, no one outbids ME!"

Hahaha!! That made me laugh hard! Thanks, today has been kinda sucky.

I've added 50% premium to lower grade provenance books but I can't recall a single one in recent memory that went 300% (shrug)

He said 3 times guide, not 3 times FMV.

No way somebody paid 3 times FMV for that book because of provenance.

Actually I was referring to the sales of 3X FMV for pedigree books compared to other copies with identical grades etc.

I have seen that figure bandied about on numerous occasions and applied even to copies that don't top the census.

I think it's potentially problematic to say "no way somebody will every pay this or that" for reason X -- because people are already paying big multiples for all kinds of reasons, including many reasons that might not withstand a lot of careful comparison. (Same is true I suppose for any collectible of any kind when you compare it to hard assets, but we are all emotional and nostalgic creatures)

So I believe that if people think long term that a book is worth 3X FMV because the book once was owned by a well-known collector, then I believe that long term they will think books from the creator (or even some other person and by that I mean someone with with enduring notoreity not just a present-day movie or TV star) should at some point have similar price spreads.

I'm not talking about the 24/7 page quality obsessing hardcore comic collector, to whom Larson and Church may be revered beyond any reverence they could muster for many others; I'm talking about other folks, who pay big money because they like comic characters in all media.

And that is not to say I think the legend behind the collections will fade in comparison;

just that I think the definition of premium copies will continue to include collectors but will go beyond to include others as well.

To book collectors, Hemingway's personal copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls is worth multiples because it was his.

For comic collectors, I would expect the same to be true for a very small number of creators (Siegel is one).

But, who really cares if a comic was once owned by another collector? It seems to me that the notion that a Kylberg, Blades, Super Soldier, or Toronto Riverdale copy should garner a premium, runs completely counter to the premiums paid for original owner copies. If once being owned by a famous owner is enough to garner a 3x multiple, then I bet there's a lot of guys about to go into partnership with famous people to build them a nice collection quickly to flip on Heritage. I can just see it, coming soon: The Kardashian Collection!

Personally, I cringe when I see "my former copy" comments on sites like this.

To book collectors, Hemingway's personal copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls is worth multiples because it was his.

For comic collectors, I would expect the same to be true for a very small number of creators (Siegel is one).

But, who really cares if a comic was once owned by another collector? It seems to me that the notion that a Kylberg, Blades, Super Soldier, or Toronto Riverdale copy should garner a premium, runs completely counter to the premiums paid for original owner copies. If once being owned by a famous owner is enough to garner a 3x multiple, then I bet there's a lot of guys about to go into partnership with famous people to build them a nice collection quickly to flip on Heritage. I can just see it, coming soon: The Kardashian Collection!

Personally, I cringe when I see "my former copy" comments on sites like this.

Doesn't bother me when people say "my former copy"and I think it makes some people feel secure that the book has been valued by others.

As for the "Kardashian Collection" it's neither that remote a possibility or that far afield of some other sought-after collectibles. But I am pretty sure it would not fit in the category of "long term" fame or value.

:roflmao:

Two weeks ago I get a SW4 6.5 (Cr-OW) for $550 in CLink... today CC auctions off a SW6.5 (Cr-OW) $819... which is what almost 50% over? (and a higher price than all but the top grades of this book have gotten)

If CLink had any desire to revamp their auction site, I'd imagine they'd look long and hard at the CC "overtime" bidding format, cause it sure seems to boost the final tally.

Did anyone happen to watch the following books and have the final prices to report?

Our Army At War #81 CGC 8.0

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

Our Fighting Forces #45 CGC ?

Star Spangled War Stories 84 CGC 7.0

SSWS 85-88

Please and thanks.... :wishluck:

I wonder if the 3 minute extension plays more to the lower price books (like I bid on :blush:) as I often try to get a book on the sly :cool: - whereas someone bidding on a 6 figure book, do they really up their bids in the last few minutes, or simply throw down they cards and let the chips fall where they will.

Did anyone happen to watch the following books and have the final prices to report?

Our Army At War #81 CGC 8.0

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

Our Fighting Forces #45 CGC ?

Star Spangled War Stories 84 CGC 7.0

SSWS 85-88

Please and thanks.... :wishluck:

OAAW #81 CGC 8.0: $4,277

OAAW #83 CGC 7.0: $7,400

I'm not sure about the others, but if no one else responds, you can look them up by going to your ComicConnect Event Auction emails and clicking on the appropriate links (or PM me if you don't such emails, and I'll do it for you).

I'm concluding Comicconnect must be a great place to sell a key book, but it sure isn't a great place to buy. I bid a book up so high it would have made me regret it if I won it. The 3 minute delay is great for sellers wanting to squeeze every possible dollar they can get, but certainly not good for the buyer who has to sweat through seemingly endless 3 minute bid-extensions.

I'm sure the deep-poketed bidders aren't phased by this one bit, but

I'm not going to waste my time trying to win books there again (shrug)

I placed my bid an hour before the listing ended and went to play tennis. Won the book for less than my max, and didn't have to sweat the 3 minute extensions.

Exactly. (thumbs u Take all the emotion and stress out of the bidding process.

I never want to be in a position where I`m reacting to other bidders. I put in my max bid, and let the chips fall where they may. If the bidding, extended or not, ends up under my max, then I win the book. If it goes over my max, then I don`t win the book, which is okay because if it went over my max then by definition it was a price I wasn`t willing to pay.

lol

I don't play at the upper levels like most posting here in this thread do. I'm a poor man. But I have won a couple thus far that I like a lot. Still waiting on a few more. One I really wanted was the "It tickles" Superman #32. But alas, I lost out. It was very frustrating trying to bid in those three minute extensions. The site just wasn't working well, and I could not get through with bid raises. I should have just thrown in a $700 bid and been done with it.

archiespalsngals1front_zpsf8e09f52.jpg

talestoastonish93front_zps6da07087.jpg

What kinda miffed me was even though I was the high bidder, as soon as I upped the bid I added 3 minutes to the countdown. Why is that if I am the high bidder already? That's only designed to alert others that max has been raised, since they can see the bid increment wasn't effected. I was kind of surprised by this.

I wasn`t aware that CC did that, but here`s a thought--DON`T UP YOUR BID DURING EXTENDED BIDDING. :gossip:

Put in your max bid before the scheduled end of the auction for a book, and then let it ride. Then you won`t end up inadvertently extending the bidding.

I do - but sometimes I decide to go back and add a little more if it's getting close. I just got to remember not to do it in the 3 minutes left.

It actually just worked - I won a book :acclaim:

Put in your max bids on all of the books that you`re interested, log off and go have a life. Come back later, log on, and see what you won and lost.

It`s so simple. (shrug)

With premiums commonly at 3X guide for collector pedigrees compared to similar graded books, the premium paid by this buyer leaves a lot of room for the market to catch up and say that some copies owned by the creators should be valued at least as much as a copy once owned by a known collector. Understand why people go for values like that, since it harkens to the days when they were collecting as kids and they like to imagine what it would have been like if they;d been born decades earlier and they were the guy who trundled down the five and dime and picked up comics each week, then put them in a cedar closet for 50 years. I get that. Just don't think in the long run that historic or copies owned by famous creators (or even famous people) will lag behind that.

Same here. (shrug)

Dear Mr. Bluechip, if you could direct me to the folks paying a 300% premium for a Church over what a non-pedigreed copy in the same grade would go for, I have some very nice books for them. Hell, I would give you a finder`s fee equal to 1/3 of the premium. :popcorn: