• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Mailers comparison

39 posts in this topic

I am about to make a large bulk order of one of these two mailers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400640060765?nav=SEARCH

Or

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/733?articleID=113628

I've used these

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5313-comic-mailer-holds-up-to-14-comics.aspx

with great success.

The affinity ones you linked yo are $0.67 each and hold up to 12 comics.

The bags unlimited boxes, are $.075 each in quantities of $100 (cheaper on larger orders) hold up to 14, but the size and shape of the box allows them to fit into the padded flat rate priority envelope allowing you to ship priority at the very minimum cost they offer for the service. So they might wind up being cheaper with the shipping savings factored in.

The combination of the box and the padded priority envelope makes for a very secure package.

I've used these before. Did not like them at all. The boxes just felt too flimsy for me.

I've used these flatter mailers too, the structure of the box inside the padded priority envelope felt much more secure to me than the flatter mailer inside a paper or kraft envelope. I just can't bring myself to mail comics in a flat envelope.

Have you ever used the pre cut cardboard sheets? What's your experience with those if you have?

I use the pre-cut cardboard all the time. It's very high-quality and the cut is exact. Good stuff!

Make sure its legal flat rate envelope. When i first used these, i accidentally got the regular size legal flat rate envelope.
There are different size padded flat rate envelopes?

Affinity

I'm by no means an expert and since media mail can be a hassle I decided to share a few pics of what I've found works for me when shipping raw books. Especially since tracking (next day shipping) on Ebay is such a pain.

This is the Affinity mailer and 4 comics shipped in a legal flat rate envelope. You can use extra cardboard for support but I haven't had any problems without it (your call).

Make sure you don't forget to write "Please Do Not Bend" on both sides.

DSCF3498_zpse3847d79.jpg

DSCF3499_zps4bef12da.jpg

DSCF3500_zps0c583e14.jpg

DSCF3501_zps1c1a5290.jpg

DSCF3502_zpse2134c1f.jpg

DSCF3503_zps816dd695.jpg

DSCF3505_zpse6a792bc.jpg

DSCF3506_zps1c6cf5be.jpg

DSCF3507_zps7ab324bc.jpg

DSCF3508_zpsd61416ea.jpg

Make sure its legal flat rate envelope. When i first used these, i accidentally got the regular size legal flat rate envelope.
There are different size padded flat rate envelopes?

Was referencing the mailers being placed inside the legal flat rate envelope.

ULINE S-341

The Affinity mailers work well but they're kind of pricey so I decided to try these mailers from uline. You can order them in bulk directly from their website. I didn't realize they would fit in a flat rate bubble mailer until someone mentioned it here.

I checked and it looks like these cost a little more to ship but the boxes are cheaper to order. These boxes can also be shipped priority by themselves, although I haven't checked to see if its any cheaper (especially, since I'm thinking the extra cardboard would be needed with these since they're not as tight as the Affinity). I do know that without the padded envelope the cost to ship the mailer by itself (priority) would be based on the weight. I'm lazy and prefer a flat rate envelope rather than weighing each package.

DSCF3509_zps4c1545c1.jpg

DSCF3510_zps9b6d29b4.jpg

DSCF3513_zps121a7c2a.jpg

DSCF3515_zps11ff2e6d.jpg

DSCF3517_zpsa78f12a3.jpg

DSCF3518_zps9235b051.jpg

ULINE S-341

The Affinity mailers work well but they're kind of pricey so I decided to try these mailers from uline. You can order them in bulk directly from their website. I didn't realize they would fit in a flat rate bubble mailer until someone mentioned it here.

I checked and it looks like these cost a little more to ship but the boxes are cheaper to order. These boxes can also be shipped priority by themselves, although I haven't checked to see if its any cheaper (especially, since I'm thinking the extra cardboard would be needed with these since they're not as tight as the Affinity). I do know that without the padded envelope the cost to ship the mailer by itself (priority) would be based on the weight. I'm lazy and prefer a flat rate envelope rather than weighing each package.

DSCF3509_zps4c1545c1.jpg

DSCF3510_zps9b6d29b4.jpg

DSCF3513_zps121a7c2a.jpg

DSCF3515_zps11ff2e6d.jpg

DSCF3517_zpsa78f12a3.jpg

DSCF3518_zps9235b051.jpg

I use the same mailers - never knew that they fit in the flat rate envelope -

All depends on the # of comics - the padded envelopes are ~ $6 - if you can fit the uline with 3+ books in place - you have sacved $$$. Depending on how you pack - 1 (definitely) or 2 (maybe_ books can be sent first class mail (13 oz or less).

This is assuming packing with 2 cardboard chippers inside the uline.

gotta love being near a uline distribution center - without shipping, the prices are very reasonable

Later

I am about to make a large bulk order of one of these two mailers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either?

Or

I've used these

with great success.

The bags unlimited boxes, are $.075 each in quantities of $100 (cheaper on larger orders) hold up to 14, but the size and shape of the box allows them to fit into the padded flat rate priority envelope allowing you to ship priority at the very minimum cost they offer for the service. So they might wind up being cheaper with the shipping savings factored in.

The combination of the box and the padded priority envelope makes for a very secure package.

I've used these before. Did not like them at all. The boxes just felt too flimsy for me.

I've used these flatter mailers too, the structure of the box inside the padded priority envelope felt much more secure to me than the flatter mailer inside a paper or kraft envelope. I just can't bring myself to mail comics in a flat envelope.

Have you ever used the pre cut cardboard sheets? What's your experience with those if you have?

I use the pre-cut cardboard all the time. It's very high-quality and the cut is exact. Good stuff!

What size do you get?

Or

I've used these

with great success.

They recently made a change using thicker cardboard. The upside is the boxes are much sturdier. Downside, they are heavier.

Or

I've used these

with great success.

They recently made a change using thicker cardboard. The upside is the boxes are much sturdier. Downside, they are heavier.

Nice. The ones I bought were so flimsy I really was scared to use them!

I purchased the Affinity mailers recently and sent them back. I must state that I usually sell one book at a time and I use first class if they are under $200 or so. And I use priority boxes for larger orders, so I would likely not want the mailer to put in a priority envelope.

Regardless of whether you are using a Priority envelope or not, the Affinity shipper were too flimsy for me and I didn't have great confidence in their ability to handle the USPS system.

The Diamond T-shippers are the best mailers I have ever seen. They are almost indestructible. And they can hold a couple of comics and still be under 13 oz for 1st Class. I don't have a Diamond account, so when I run out of those I use the white book mailers in the in-between.

Those work great, but you forgot the eye holes.

Thanks for all the tips. Recently I have been using this -

paperbags_zpsbb212afd.jpg

I purchased the Affinity mailers recently and sent them back. I must state that I usually sell one book at a time and I use first class if they are under $200 or so. And I use priority boxes for larger orders, so I would likely not want the mailer to put in a priority envelope.

Regardless of whether you are using a Priority envelope or not, the Affinity shipper were too flimsy for me and I didn't have great confidence in their ability to handle the USPS system.

The Diamond T-shippers are the best mailers I have ever seen. They are almost indestructible. And they can hold a couple of comics and still be under 13 oz for 1st Class. I don't have a Diamond account, so when I run out of those I use the white book mailers in the in-between.

I add a cardboard pad on each side of the comic(s) with the Affinity mailers. It adds extra protection and support.

Is there any way to get the Diamond T-shippers without ordering a pallet?

Peace,

Chip

Not that I have found. I have an LCS near me that bought a pallet a year or so back and they use them for their eBay sales. They love them.

Anyone in the central fl w/ a diamond account that wants to price out the pallet shipped, let me know, cause I'd be interested to know what the total unit price for 1 is (and I would likely be interested in buying 50-100 to give them a try.)

Is there any way to get the Diamond T-shippers without ordering a pallet?

Peace,

Chip

Not that I have found. I have an LCS near me that bought a pallet a year or so back and they use them for their eBay sales. They love them.

Anyone in the central fl w/ a diamond account that wants to price out the pallet shipped, let me know, cause I'd be interested to know what the total unit price for 1 is (and I would likely be interested in buying 50-100 to give them a try.)

How much is the shipping on a pallet to Florida?

Nice. The ones I bought were so flimsy I really was scared to use them!

Once in awhile I would get a few flimsy ones in the batch. they probably weren't that flimsy--if put together I bet you could stand on them for a sec without them bending. But the new ones are really sturdy (and a half ounce or something heavier). I'm impressed.

What I like about the Bags Unlimited ones is that they are just wide enough to ship most vintage comics, Dells, etc. But of course that means they won't fit in a flat rate envelope, only the padded flat rate.