• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGN is stating that Ant-Man being dumped due to loss of director

51 posts in this topic

Well they got a new director.... The director of such modern classics as Yes Man and Bring it on, Peyton Reed.

Much less excited about this movie than when Edgar Wright was directing.

Exactly. ASM2 is going to pull in less than the first one did, and just over half what IM3 pulled in last year at this time. X-men:DOFP looks like it will do comparable numbers.

These are massively expensive movies-- a couple hundred million in domestic box office isn't a disaster, but it isn't a slam dunk success either.

They are also flagship characters that have huge followings in the general public. Antman does not.

If Spidey and the X-men are no longer hitting it out of the park, I suspect Antman and GOTG have a real chance of seriously flopping.

I suspect that the problem is that no one involved can envision a movie about Ant man that the general public will go to.

I think the superhero movie fad is running out of steam.

I 100% agree with the exact polar opposite of this statement. It seems the easiest path to several hundred million at the box office, is to follow the superhero trend

It's like movies we love with sequels that can connect together so they never have to he boring. Think of all the characters they can bring in, introduce, kill off.....I'm giddy just thinking about it

Agreed it seems the superhero movies are one of the few things that still do well domestically at the Box Office.

Box Office is at it`s lowest since 2010, and this is with ASM2,Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past having record breaking openings.

Domestic Box Office lowest since May 2010.

read the article. it basically says that those 3 movies fell off a cliff after the opening weekend which lead to the lowest domestic box office since May 2010

The one thing that ASM and X-men have going against them is that they are not owned by Marvel studios, so they don't have the ability to crossover with Marvel owned movie titles like Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, etc. and don't have that built in added value.

I don't think you can underestimate the value of a return viewer who simply has to see all of the films to appreciate them. Even 'bad' films will get viewed simply because some percentage of people will want to stay on top of the mythos.

Marvel has something special here that has never really been done before. The crossovers on this level are kind of like Marvel Mystery #8-10 when superheros fought for the first time. It's unprecedented and it's part of their winning formula.

The one thing that ASM and X-men have going against them is that they are not owned by Marvel studios, so they don't have the ability to crossover with Marvel owned movie titles like Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, etc. and don't have that built in added value.

I don't think you can underestimate the value of a return viewer who simply has to see all of the films to appreciate them. Even 'bad' films will get viewed simply because some percentage of people will want to stay on top of the mythos.

Marvel has something special here that has never really been done before. The crossovers on this level are kind of like Marvel Mystery #8-10 when superheros fought for the first time. It's unprecedented and it's part of their winning formula.

I would agree on ASM, but the possibilities for X-Men crossovers is nearly endless just within the mutant-verse. Look at what Marvel has done in the x-comics. You're telling me Fox couldn't do the same thing?

I suspect that the problem is that no one involved can envision a movie about Ant man that the general public will go to.

I think the superhero movie fad is running out of steam.

I 100% agree with the exact polar opposite of this statement. It seems the easiest path to several hundred million at the box office, is to follow the superhero trend

It's like movies we love with sequels that can connect together so they never have to he boring. Think of all the characters they can bring in, introduce, kill off.....I'm giddy just thinking about it

Agreed it seems the superhero movies are one of the few things that still do well domestically at the Box Office.

Box Office is at it`s lowest since 2010, and this is with ASM2,Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past having record breaking openings.

Domestic Box Office lowest since May 2010.

read the article. it basically says that those 3 movies fell off a cliff after the opening weekend which lead to the lowest domestic box office since May 2010

That`s my point in that at least superhero movies get to the cliff, while most other genres don`t even get on the cliff.

Well they got a new director.... The director of such modern classics as Yes Man and Bring it on, Peyton Reed.

Not saying Ant-Man will be good nor bad with this new director, still a wait and see approach...

I mean, it is not like Jon Favreau was that known for his directing of action movies before Iron Man...

i think you're overlooking The Break-Up lol