• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Bombshell Variants

36 posts in this topic

It looks like the first one to sell for above cover on eBay as well. I am going to have to snag a few more.

Although these "variants" are not generating the same buzz/prices that the 3D covers did, I think they will do well at shows over the long haul with the male collectors, but more importantly, female collectors. This would just be like the Pepoy lingerie AwA variants - the female collectors snap them up.

I ordered a few of them, mostly for the books I would be ordering anyways, the Green Lantern books and Justice League books, with the exception of Detective Comics which I ordered just for the Poison Ivy cover.

I think it would have been interesting to see what they could have come up with for other titles that they didn't do but I suppose sales of those books aren't high enough to justify it.

I am curious to see what the split is for the bombshell vs. regular covers. Most of the LCSs here ordered light on them, with my file LCS not getting any at all......

I ordered a few of them, mostly for the books I would be ordering anyways, the Green Lantern books and Justice League books, with the exception of Detective Comics which I ordered just for the Poison Ivy cover.

I think it would have been interesting to see what they could have come up with for other titles that they didn't do but I suppose sales of those books aren't high enough to justify it.

I am curious to see what the split is for the bombshell vs. regular covers. Most of the LCSs here ordered light on them, with my file LCS not getting any at all......

Not getting any of which cover? We will never really know because they don't release numbers independently for the same issue.

Not getting any of which cover? We will never really know because they don't release numbers independently for the same issue.

It does not appear that they ordered any of them. The smallest store I went to, on the other hand, ordered all Bombshell covers but that means only 25 - 30 copies for the top selling titles

It does not appear that they ordered any of them. The smallest store I went to, on the other hand, ordered all Bombshell covers but that means only 25 - 30 copies for the top selling titles

Wow, not ordering any at all is pretty bad in my opinion. Especially since they weren't done in the usual way variants are.

**I know there's a topic already in the General section, but nothing here for collecting. So figured on starting a new thread in the Modern section.**

Anyone here getting those Bombshell variants? I have one copy each of Earth 2, Action Comics, and Green Lantern waiting for me at my LCS. If there are more available when I pick them up, I may get a couple more of the Action Comics variant.

I've got two sets coming at the end of the month (I think) - I'm pretty stoked to get them, they look really cool.

Wow, not ordering any at all is pretty bad in my opinion. Especially since they weren't done in the usual way variants are.

I think that's a good thing...... since variants tend to cost more than a regular cover...

I think that's a good thing...... since variants tend to cost more than a regular cover...

Oh I definitely agree. I was thinking more because they didn't have to order 25, or however many, copies of the regular cover just to get 1 bombshell cover so there's not nearly as much possible risk with these as there normally would be. That just seems like bad customer service in a way to completely ignore a series of unrestricted variants like this.

On the other hand, I would say just ignore me lol. I've always wanted to have my own comic shop so I'm probably just being overly critical since in situations like this I have a tendency to think what I would have done differently if I had a store.

It only makes sense if you sell through. The store that ordered only Bombshells still has them sitting on the shelf from week 1 which seems to me like there is weak after release interest in them. They also said they had some file customers that collect the 1:25 variants upset as the Bombshell covers do not count towards the ratio. One store jacked up the prices right away and have them sitting on the shelf with no takers at $5.

I am grabbing a couple of sets, and picking up extras of the few better covers, as I think they will do well over the long haul. Right now, not so much.

It only makes sense if you sell through. The store that ordered only Bombshells still has them sitting on the shelf from week 1 which seems to me like there is weak after release interest in them. They also said they had some file customers that collect the 1:25 variants upset as the Bombshell covers do not count towards the ratio. One store jacked up the prices right away and have them sitting on the shelf with no takers at $5.

I am grabbing a couple of sets, and picking up extras of the few better covers, as I think they will do well over the long haul. Right now, not so much.

Ah now that makes sense about them not counting towards the 1:25 variants. I could certainly see where the bombshell variants not counting towards 1:25 variant requirements would be annoying. I can see why it wouldn't though since 1:25 variants don't count towards, for example, 1:50 or 1:100 variants do they?

Hmm, I thought the bombshell covers were the only variants for those particular titles/issues for the month but maybe not.

Though given the discount they get, even at the lowest possible tier, a full set of the bombshell variants would only cost a store $44.07.

I guess that's a good reason to keep a dialog with a person's LCS so that the shop can be informed in time about what a collector might want and be able to get it for them. This is a lesson I need to take to heart myself.

Edit: Yeah, especially depending on the characters on the covers. Some probably won't be as popular, mainly thinking the Batman and Ras Al Ghul variant since it just really doesn't seem to fit with the theme that well like the others do. Though that might still do pretty good just because it's a Batman comic.

Oh I definitely agree. I was thinking more because they didn't have to order 25, or however many, copies of the regular cover just to get 1 bombshell cover so there's not nearly as much possible risk with these as there normally would be. That just seems like bad customer service in a way to completely ignore a series of unrestricted variants like this.

On the other hand, I would say just ignore me lol. I've always wanted to have my own comic shop so I'm probably just being overly critical since in situations like this I have a tendency to think what I would have done differently if I had a store.

If you wanted these, you could have ordered them from your store before the FOC and I'm sure they would have been happy to hook you up. But you want them to order sets of these on the possibility that you may, on a whim decide to buy them? :facepalm:

If you wanted these, you could have ordered them from your store before the FOC and I'm sure they would have been happy to hook you up. But you want them to order sets of these on the possibility that you may, on a whim decide to buy them? :facepalm:

No, that's not what I was saying at all. As I said on the 2nd page, I ordered the variants I wanted, Detective Comics and the Green Lantern and Justice League books, from the place I usually get my new comics from.

The part you're quoting, and I believe misunderstanding, is in regards to what kimik was saying about how his LCS didn't order even a single bombshell cover of any of the titles. I said it seemed very odd that his LCS wouldn't even order just 1 of any of them given they're unrestricted variants and not the usual 1:25, etc. Even just ordering 1 bombshell variant of just a single title they'd only be out $1.94 or $2.59 depending if the cover price was $2.99 or $3.99. True, even just that 1 copy might not sell but, excluding subscription customers or regulars who don't bother with subscriptions, they're taking the exact same chance with any quantity of comics they order. I hope that clears things up.

Edit: I do see where some of the confusion could come from given my post at the top of page 4 but to clarify, I only order online as it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I even knew I had a LCS around, within a reasonable distance anyways, but I haven't had a chance to go check it out yet. I meant what I said in that post more as a thought out loud about why it can be good to get to know a person's LCS. They won't learn that there is in fact a demand for something if the people who want it just take their chances and hope the LCS orders some anyways. I realize my post could have sounded like I missed out and was blaming the LCS for it, which would just be silly, but that's not the case. I hope that clears things up a bit as well.

No, that's not what I was saying at all. As I said on the 2nd page, I ordered the variants I wanted, Detective Comics and the Green Lantern and Justice League books, from the place I usually get my new comics from.

The part you're quoting, and I believe misunderstanding, is in regards to what kimik was saying about how his LCS didn't order even a single bombshell cover of any of the titles. I said it seemed very odd that his LCS wouldn't even order just 1 of any of them given they're unrestricted variants and not the usual 1:25, etc. Even just ordering 1 bombshell variant of just a single title they'd only be out $1.94 or $2.59 depending if the cover price was $2.99 or $3.99. True, even just that 1 copy might not sell but, excluding subscription customers or regulars who don't bother with subscriptions, they're taking the exact same chance with any quantity of comics they order. I hope that clears things up.

Edit: I do see where some of the confusion could come from given my post at the top of page 4 but to clarify, I only order online as it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I even knew I had a LCS around, within a reasonable distance anyways, but I haven't had a chance to go check it out yet. I meant what I said in that post more as a thought out loud about why it can be good to get to know a person's LCS. They won't learn that there is in fact a demand for something if the people who want it just take their chances and hope the LCS orders some anyways. I realize my post could have sounded like I missed out and was blaming the LCS for it, which would just be silly, but that's not the case. I hope that clears things up a bit as well.

Your thorough, well-reasoned and polite response to my post shows you haven't been around here for very long lol . Apologies if I came across snarky and WWTB.

Your thorough, well-reasoned and polite response to my post shows you haven't been around here for very long lol . Apologies if I came across snarky and WWTB.

lol yeah, just a couple days now. No apologies needed as that didn't sound snarky at all. Thank you for the welcome as well, I appreciate it.