• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random drunken thoughts.

57 posts in this topic

Does anyone still collect comics as a source of story and entertainment rather than a way to invest and make money? I get this is a cgc site etc, but i have never submitted a book nor do i ever really care to. My whole goal in this hobby of mine is to buy comics i enjoyed when i was younger and to collect some books that came before my time.

I never really cared about a "grade" etc as long as the comic i was buying was presentable and intact and i could read it, maybe bring back some memories. This could just be the amazing belgian beers i just drank while watching dueling pianos speaking, but i just miss the days of buying comics without worrying about a little ding in the lower left corner. Being young was awesome.

/flame and bash as you will. Ill think of something witty to say later…

//

I don't think the two aims are mutually exclusive.

I get the impression that nearly everyone who buys and sells books to make money also really loves the things they are buying an selling.

For the purely pecuniary motivated there are much more lucrative ways to make a buck.

I love my comics and read em over and over

I have no interest in TMNT

I love my comics and read em over and over

I have no interest in TMNT

i love this post…

:acclaim:

Really when I re read a comic I had as a kid like the imaginary story where superman has a little girl and Lois dies there's a haunting feeling that can't be matched.

I get the impression that nearly everyone who buys and sells books to make money also really loves the things they are buying an selling.

For the purely pecuniary motivated there are much more lucrative ways to make a buck.

my point is. Why a slabbed book other than a number? i own one graded book and only because i got a great deal on it. i dont wanna knock anyone who buys only graded stuff because im not a , but the best part of a comic is the touch and smell and invigorating feeling you get holding that book you wanted for so long in your hand to READ. Not just to buy to re invest and make a buck...

Yep not to knock others but I have no interest in a book I can't read.

I buy as high a grade of a book that I can afford of my favorite characters. I love first appearances. I feel like it's owning a part of a character. :cloud9: I don't care about movie or tv show speculation. :whatev:

But for reading, I'd rather have a tpb or HC. I've just never been able to casually read a comic without feeling like I needed white gloves and to be sitting at a table. :eek:

But not everyone sees comics only as $ so don't fret. (thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]

I buy, read and love my raw books (Over 3,500),

but I am also a collector of 9.8 and SS books

(Usually books that I already read and have raw)...[/font]

:hi:

signature series i can understand especially if you follow a certain creator. But what about a book in someones made up number of 9.8 drives you to want that number (which is totally made up)?

I buy as high a grade of a book that I can afford of my favorite characters. I love first appearances. I feel like it's owning a part of a character. :cloud9: I don't care about movie or tv show speculation. :whatev:

But for reading, I'd rather have a tpb or HC. I've just never been able to casually read a comic without feeling like I needed white gloves and to be sitting at a table. :eek:

im the complete opposite. i break my hulk 181 out and read it like its a normal day. i just hate the way we as "collectors or hobbyists" can take away from the purity of the reason most of us got into this...

I can't afford all the FF's but I'm happy reading my complete collection of Marvel's Greatest Comics.

my point is. Why a slabbed book other than a number?

[font:Book Antiqua]Because I really ENJOY that particular book

and want to have the best looking copy,

if is signed WAY BETTER.[/font]

:cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv:

my point is. Why a slabbed book other than a number?

[font:Book Antiqua]Because I really ENJOY that particular book

and want to have the best looking copy,

if is signed WAY BETTER.[/font]

:cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv:

thats cool bro, not knocking your grind. I guess the point in my drunk posting is dont lose sight of what brought you into these books. But whatever floats your boat ya know,…

im the complete opposite. i break my hulk 181 out and read it like its a normal day. i just hate the way we as "collectors or hobbyists" can take away from the purity of the reason most of us got into this...

I don't get that! :D

It's like taking an old manuscript or antique and just tossing it around like garbage. Why would I want to decrease something that the entire chase is finding a "near mint" copy. It's easy to find a book that has been "well-loved" and read over and over again. But the idea of owning a book that is 50 - 60 years old that is in great condition is just :cloud9: I think of the owners before me who could have been a kid who really cared for this book. Through moves and life changes and whatever was thrown the book's (and it's owner's) way - it survived the perils of time.

Why would you NOT want to preserve that?! :insane:

speaking of signatures etc, i have never cared about ( and this is just me )the creator of said title im reading. Dont care about meeting that person at a convention etc or getting a signature. it just never appealed to me. were all differnt i suppose…

// now that i think of it id like to meet whilce portacio. :)

I don't get that! :D

It's like taking an old manuscript or antique and just tossing it around like garbage. Why would I want to decrease something that the entire chase is finding a "near mint" copy. It's easy to find a book that has been "well-loved" and read over and over again. But the idea of owning a book that is 50 - 60 years old that is in great condition is just :cloud9: I think of the owners before me who could have been a kid who really cared for this book. Through moves and life changes and whatever was thrown the book's (and it's owner's) way - it survived the perils of time.

Why would you NOT want to preserve that?! :insane:

believe me i get what your saying. I dont just read my books and slam them against walls. I take pride in my collection. I just never saw the point of putting them in something i couldnt easily take them out of. The stupid number next to my book never really mattered to me now that CGC is around just like it didnt before CGC was around. i love a good looking copy of a book i want, dont get me wrong, but i want to touch and feel it as well...