• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niagara Falls Comic Con June7th Review

29 posts in this topic

I didn't set up this year for personal reasons - but I'm considering 2015 if tables are available. I did plan on going for a day to check it out but opted in the end to stay home and visit family and friends since it was a quiet weekend here in TO - with a lot of folks in Niagara or just using the nice weather as an excuse to get out of town the store was fairly quiet.

I spoke briefly with a few dealer friends last night, who said it was good, maybe about the same or less sales-wise than last year (but spread out over three days instead of two like last year). I know a few people that will be assessing their costs vs. profits having added an extra night hotel / meals to their budget means less take home.

My concern is one that has been repeated here in this thread --- this show needs better comic guests. I looked at the floor plan online and still saw many of the same issues I saw last year, at least there was an artist's alley this year instead of some scattered tables around the celebrity signing areas.

For those dealers looking for cash flow I would recommend it. There is plenty of customers looking to spend. For those comic dealers looking to profit I would suggest skipping it. The two biggest road blocks are the lack of creators and the convention centre staff.

From the conversations I had there were some dealers with a positive cash flow but I do not know anyone who turned a profit.

Any vintage dealers there besides Big B and Paradise?

I didn't recognize any on the list.

Lou and I were going to try and make the show but I decided it probably wasn't going to be worth the effort.

We're getting married at the Marriott just across the road in 4 weeks so I've seen enough Niagara Falls this year. lol

I didn't set up this year for personal reasons - but I'm considering 2015 if tables are available. I did plan on going for a day to check it out but opted in the end to stay home and visit family and friends since it was a quiet weekend here in TO - with a lot of folks in Niagara or just using the nice weather as an excuse to get out of town the store was fairly quiet.

I spoke briefly with a few dealer friends last night, who said it was good, maybe about the same or less sales-wise than last year (but spread out over three days instead of two like last year). I know a few people that will be assessing their costs vs. profits having added an extra night hotel / meals to their budget means less take home.

My concern is one that has been repeated here in this thread --- this show needs better comic guests. I looked at the floor plan online and still saw many of the same issues I saw last year, at least there was an artist's alley this year instead of some scattered tables around the celebrity signing areas.

For those dealers looking for cash flow I would recommend it. There is plenty of customers looking to spend. For those comic dealers looking to profit I would suggest skipping it. The two biggest road blocks are the lack of creators and the convention centre staff.

From the conversations I had there were some dealers with a positive cash flow but I do not know anyone who turned a profit.

Any vintage dealers there besides Big B and Paradise?

I didn't recognize any on the list.

Lou and I were going to try and make the show but I decided it probably wasn't going to be worth the effort.

We're getting married at the Marriott just across the road in 4 weeks so I've seen enough Niagara Falls this year. lol

What date?

I thought you were never getting married again.

What date?

July 12th.

Things change. :whistle:

So nobody can comment on any of the Vintage dealers at the show?

:sumo:

I was there on Friday. I went for 2 reasons. I wanted a sketch done by Neal Adams and I wanted to pick up a fantastic four page by Leonard Kirk. There were no lines anywhere so I bought my pieces walked around briefly and left. When I was there, Ken Lashley was not there and neither was Mike Del Mundo. I did find it a bit light on the artists side, but I was pleased to get what I went for.

What date?

July 12th.

Things change. :whistle:

So nobody can comment on any of the Vintage dealers at the show?

:sumo:

I was there during set up on Friday and didn't see much to report.

There was Big B, Paradise and Wes Hagen. Wes had his stuff out but I didn't bother to look through any boxes. Both Big B and Paradise were either not set up or not displayed at that time.

1000000 comics was there but I don't care to view his inventory.

The only other guy, younger and bearded, that I saw had a small 1-table booth with a corner rack set up. He had some better books like ASM 129s and Hulk 181s. Mostly raw. Didn't look them over well enough to report much. He bought some books from me at the Toronto Comiccon so I felt it might be tough to buy from him.

Congrats on the wedding! Mark us down for 2 adults and 2 kids. (thumbs u

I noticed more toy stores and even comic dealers from last year who had walls of comics reduce it down to a small section paired with a large section of toys.