• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niagara Falls Comic Con June7th Review

29 posts in this topic

www.niagarafallscomiccon.com

So unless I missed it I didn't see any posts regarding this show that has taken place this weekend. Overall it was done well. But like all events there was room for improvement.

The real complaints have to do with the lack of artists. There was of course Neal Adams, Ken Lashley, Mike del Mundo, Kevin Eastman, Marco Rudy and last Leonard Kirk. Then the smaller lesser know artists who in my opinion have some of the best work for the best price. Neal was charging his typical $20 for autographs and his high priced artwork was everywhere. Ken Lashley who I was specifically going to see ended up having the longest line there. Assumingly due too the most recent "Doomed" series he's doing. I did end up getting an amazing commission done (will be posted soon) as I was sure to be first inline. Overall a weak artist presence compared to last year with George Perez amongst others.

Seemed like a much more celebrity focused set up then before. Lots of B and C listers charging way too much for autographs but I understand everyone's need to make a buck. I did end up doing a Dean Cain photo-op as I needed it to go with my Brandon Routh pic.

Well for anyone else who made it out please feel free to weigh in. I'm looking forward to the Fan Expo in August as it should be a big show.

How much was Ken Lashley charging for sketches? Thanks!

That's the really tricky part about Ken. He wont tell you his pricing so basically you just give him however much money you want and tell him what you want and he'll do it..he doesn't believe in set pricing so it's very much like roulette when it comes to sketches. I paid $80 for mine which I feel was worth it, however Im sure I could have gave him $50 and probably would have been fine. I didnt even pay him until after it was done. He took the money and threw it in his bag without even looking at how much it was. Very tough to buy something from someone who wont tell you how much it is!

However someone said he donates all his convention sales to Cancer research charities on account of his late Mother? Not sure how true this is but I heard someone saying it today.

So good Karma I guess

yup they were offered Jim Lee at 10,000 for the entire weekend (he'd sketch and sign anything) and decided instead to go with William Shatner for one day only at 50,000.

Really? What a bad business decision. Why not just bring in Jim Lee and William Shatner for $60K (if they really needed Capt. Kirk for a day)?

Jim Lee at $10K, for that show, is a no-brainer. Turnout would have been huge. Regardless, they really needed more featured comic guests.

I was there Friday about an hour after it opened and it was great for moving around. Last year I was insane and went on the Saturday and it was a madhouse, Friday,nice amount of people but you could move easily. I only went for two artists specifically and both did not disappoint. Dan Parent is always great to deal with and his art is very affordable. I was very stoked to meet Kevin Eastman and he was a great guy. Very personable and took a minute to talk to each person in line. while I was there, his line was the longest.

comics wise, it was the same bunch of dealers from last year, with strong local support. Wes Hagen is always a fav of mine as he has a great selection and a variety of price ranges.

notmuch in the way of gold books but I think they will come as the cons reputation grows and they attract bigger dealers. as usual, walking dead was EVERYWHERE. im still surprised its maintained the sales levels it has, I bailed around 80 I think. Harley books were hot too, all those bats adventures books that were dollar books are now 40 and 50 dollars. I thought her new terrible look would have hurt her, but no.

overall, good con, not spectacular, but for its third year and being in my city, im happy enough.

one negative, cost. $30 on Friday is too much in my opinion since they don't have A list guests yet

Jim Lee would have need great obviously..for me I like going to these shows for the artists. I struggle with the vendors because I feel like so much of that stuff can be bought off eBay if you want it bad enough. But the artist you may only meet once in awhile. Got a great piece from one of the artist from Spentpencils.com. Amazing detailed Superman pencil sketch for $35..can't beat it!

driving from Niagara to Toronto today was such a headache.

I wonder how many people are still packing up. hm

You are a lazy, lazy guy. At the time you posted nobody was left packing up. (thumbs u

im reading the complaints now on facebook......

The convention centre and the employees ( security, vendors) still maintain the level of being the worst of any convention I have attended. Here's hoping they bean find another venue or this show will fall apart.

I didn't set up this year for personal reasons - but I'm considering 2015 if tables are available. I did plan on going for a day to check it out but opted in the end to stay home and visit family and friends since it was a quiet weekend here in TO - with a lot of folks in Niagara or just using the nice weather as an excuse to get out of town the store was fairly quiet.

I spoke briefly with a few dealer friends last night, who said it was good, maybe about the same or less sales-wise than last year (but spread out over three days instead of two like last year). I know a few people that will be assessing their costs vs. profits having added an extra night hotel / meals to their budget means less take home.

My concern is one that has been repeated here in this thread --- this show needs better comic guests. I looked at the floor plan online and still saw many of the same issues I saw last year, at least there was an artist's alley this year instead of some scattered tables around the celebrity signing areas.

driving from Niagara to Toronto today was such a headache.

I wonder how many people are still packing up. hm

You are a lazy, lazy guy. At the time you posted nobody was left packing up. (thumbs u

kisses

I didn't set up this year for personal reasons - but I'm considering 2015 if tables are available. I did plan on going for a day to check it out but opted in the end to stay home and visit family and friends since it was a quiet weekend here in TO - with a lot of folks in Niagara or just using the nice weather as an excuse to get out of town the store was fairly quiet.

I spoke briefly with a few dealer friends last night, who said it was good, maybe about the same or less sales-wise than last year (but spread out over three days instead of two like last year). I know a few people that will be assessing their costs vs. profits having added an extra night hotel / meals to their budget means less take home.

My concern is one that has been repeated here in this thread --- this show needs better comic guests. I looked at the floor plan online and still saw many of the same issues I saw last year, at least there was an artist's alley this year instead of some scattered tables around the celebrity signing areas.

For those dealers looking for cash flow I would recommend it. There is plenty of customers looking to spend. For those comic dealers looking to profit I would suggest skipping it. The two biggest road blocks are the lack of creators and the convention centre staff.

From the conversations I had there were some dealers with a positive cash flow but I do not know anyone who turned a profit.