• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a mistake on E-Bay - need advice!

163 posts in this topic

I relisted a large set of books and dropped the price of each book by a buck since they had not sold. I made a mistake on one of them and instead of listing the book for $39 I had it listed for $3. The book was up for 2 days and was looked at by 10 people or so and then a guy bought it. I messaged him letting him know it was a mistake and I wanted to mutually cancel the purchase and he responded last night with the following:

i think this one is on you - i have had honor mistakes on my end. Not tryng to give you a bad time. You should stand by the listing.

- mytemyte

and

this was listed the day before and younhad time to cancel the listinf if you checked it

- mytemyte

I responded with the following after I banned him from buying again:

I didn't notice the error and the error was not brought to my attention by the several people who looked at the listing before you and passes on the obvious error listing. We seem to not be seeing this issue eye to eye so I'll contact E-Bay and see what the procedure is for this kind of thing. I've never had this type of thing happen before but I'll work hard to figure out the best course of action. Although I've never had this type of error before I have let other sellers know about a few obvious mistakes that would have cost them money. It's all about doing the "right" thing in life in my opinion.

Do you think I should just take the $35 hit and sell him the book since it was an error on my part? I've gone 7 years without a negative so maybe its time for my first one. I'm open to you opinions but I really can't believe the guy who has 1200 feedback would be such a jerk about it since its obviously an error. His response pretty much makes me think he knew it was a mistake.

Sorry but once it is up and sold... you've made a contract with the buyer. If you knew and let it ride for 2 days then you've got to let it go. I've caught mistakes within 24 hrs and made the changes but if you screw up :facepalm:

I'd honor it and be more careful next time. That's what I did when I did that once.... my lesson cost me closer to a hundred.... but I never did it again lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'd honour the sale.

$35 is a very reasonable price for this lesson. 2c

+1

This is also the way that I look at my mistakes.

Simply a price for my own education, and as Beyonder has said, the cost of this lesson is very reasonable. Life's lessons will get MUCH more expensive. Savor the cheap ones.

Link to sale ?

No need. I was on the fence and pretty pissed about the whole thing but it sounds like everyone is in agreement with the best course of action. I'll double check my BIN prices from now on for sure.

I feel sorry for you, but I believe that you legally and morally have to complete the sale.

That being said, you can refund the buyer's payment and never send the item. If this is your first time doing this, you can probably get away with a negative feedback and possibly a slap on the wrist from eBay (or eBay could suspend your account). I would not recommend this option except in extreme circumstances, such as you incorrectly listed your Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.8 for $3.00 and someone bought it, etc.

I agree with "doing the right thing" and honoring the sale in this case. But what if the error listing was $3000 listed as $3? At some point, there has to be some middle ground for the seller to still "do the right thing" without losing the farm. (shrug)

My biggest complaint is I have had multiple buyers completely flake out and not buy a book and I don't even get to neg them. One guy even PMed me a said he made a mistake and would not pay so don't bother sending an invoice. It was a $7 book. But we have plenty of E-Bay sucks threads so I guess this will just be Andrew is a dumb- at time thread.

I guess the answer to the question is another question - how much is your honor worth? (shrug)

I only spent $25 on the book so its worth way more than $22 for sure :acclaim:

Each ebay listing has this above the item description...

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

This can be a double edged sword I suppose hm

That said... you will make back the lost $22 with continued listings on ebay. It's a drop in the bucket compared to future earnings :foryou: