• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a mistake on E-Bay - need advice!

163 posts in this topic

And I don't know that I would have blocked him, If you Honor the sale, he may become a loyal customer.

It was more of a preemptive thing while I figured things out. I pretty much said I was not sending him the book when I was pissed last night so I didn't want him making it worse. I just PMed him and let him know the book will be shipped tomorrow.

I'll take the hit and move forward. Now I'll just have to get that Walking Dead 1 to make it all better.

You need to accept your mistake and eat it.

I did the exact same thing here on the boards once and I ate the money. And it was more than $39.

I listed a Walking Dead 9.8 for a 9.6 price and the difference was about $100.

The buyer posted i'll take it and then I realized it was listed as a 9.6 price but it was a 9.8 book.

I was so angry and thought I could back out and claim it was a mistake but I didn't. He grabbed the book fairly and it's not his fault I wasn't paying attention closely enough.

The mistake was on me...just like this mistake is on you.

I also disagree with you blocking the buyer on eBay. He didn't do anything wrong in my opinion.

Best of luck.

I think you've received a lot of good advice. I just checked your listing and that is an obvious mistake. I would send the book and block the bidder. It appears to me that your bidder just refunded somebody's money for not sending a purchased item. Ironic. lol

You are doing the right thing. Although grudgingly . I would also email the buyer and apologize about your initial attitude . Even though he is getting a good deal he could still leave negative feedback because of it .

I think you've received a lot of good advice. I just checked your listing and that is an obvious mistake. I would send the book and block the bidder. It appears to me that your bidder just refunded somebody's money for not sending a purchased item. Ironic. lol

Yea - I'm not sure yet if I'll continue to block him. He didn't do anything wrong per say but I don't really like people jumping on an obvious error (typo). Its not life changing money involved but would people take a $3000 hit for an error like this. Or $30,000 hit? The concept is still the same so I'd expect the same responses if it was a $3 million dollar mistake, right?

I think you should honor the sell but I've had a seller tell me some BS story about not being able to find the book and I guess I should have done something but I let it fly. I think you should honor it but I also think the buyer should also let it go but I've been in both situations and took the high road with both transactions

Yea - I'm not sure yet if I'll continue to block him. He didn't do anything wrong per say but I don't really like people jumping on an obvious error (typo). Its not life changing money involved but would people take a $3000 hit for an error like this. Or $30,000 hit? The concept is still the same so I'd expect the same responses if it was a $3 million dollar mistake, right?

You can't compare $3,000 - $3 million to a $39 mistake. Cmon.

If it was a huge difference you would have much more reason to make a case for the mistake. For this small amount of money....it's not worth it.

You made a mistake and the hit is "on you", but this person's way of reacting to life is "on him." What a depressing situation. Do they have kids? "Look Junior, I just ripped off a comic book guy on the internet!" "Let this be a lesson for you, son!" Ugh.

Dan

I think you should honor the sell but I've had a seller tell me some BS story about not being able to find the book and I guess I should have done something but I let it fly. I think you should honor it but I also think the buyer should also let it go but I've been in both situations and took the high road with both transactions

Yep. Live well, sleep well. Good advice and a good example. (thumbs u

I agree with "doing the right thing" and honoring the sale in this case. But what if the error listing was $3000 listed as $3? At some point, there has to be some middle ground for the seller to still "do the right thing" without losing the farm. (shrug)

It depends on each individuals personal financial situation obviously. Bill Gates could afford to "do the right thing" on a $3000 error without batting an eye. I would guess that most of us could afford to do the right thing on a $30 error.

You made a mistake and the hit is "on you", but this person's way of reacting to life is "on him." What a depressing situation. Do they have kids? "Look Junior, I just ripped off a comic book guy on the internet!" "Let this be a lesson for you, son!" Ugh.

Dan

:roflmao:

While I agree that the "right" thing to do is to honor the sale, I don't get this attitude of someone making a mistake on a listing price and then I am going to hold them to that price no matter what. Personally, I have a hard time getting something on the cheap at the expense of someone else. However, I am also the type to honor the sale. $35 is a relatively cheap mistake to make.

Haha ! I would take the hit but if it was $3000, I guess I would have to live with the negative. You'll forget about this in a week so I wouldn't dwell on it. Enjoy what is left of your weekend. (thumbs u

I've got to work on some spreadsheets for work today so it will distract my brain from what its doing. lol

While I agree that the "right" thing to do is to honor the sale, I don't get this attitude of someone making a mistake on a listing price and then I am going to hold them to that price no matter what. Personally, I have a hard time getting something on the cheap at the expense of someone else. However, I am also the type to honor the sale. $35 is a relatively cheap mistake to make.

As do many of us here. (thumbs u

In this exact instance though, cool needs to remain cool & honor the sale.

It will be $36 well spent.

That $36 isn't worth handling this particular transaction any differently. 2c

Part of the fun as a buyer is to look for deals on eBay. He found a deal and took it. Now you are going to block him? He didn't do anything wrong. Even his email was cordial.

Are people honestly advocating for buyers to now only buy items on eBay that are close to what the items sell for? If the deal is too good, pass it by because the seller made a mistake? Or only make the seller honor the sale if he doesn't tell you the listing was a mistake?

(shrug)

If it was a $3000 book, I'd handle it differently. (shrug)

Probably offer the buyer a significant discount if they were serious about the purchase.

I relisted a large set of books and dropped the price of each book by a buck since they had not sold. I made a mistake on one of them and instead of listing the book for $39 I had it listed for $3. The book was up for 2 days and was looked at by 10 people or so and then a guy bought it. I messaged him letting him know it was a mistake and I wanted to mutually cancel the purchase and he responded last night with the following:

i think this one is on you - i have had honor mistakes on my end. Not tryng to give you a bad time. You should stand by the listing.

- mytemyte

and

this was listed the day before and younhad time to cancel the listinf if you checked it

- mytemyte

I responded with the following after I banned him from buying again:

I didn't notice the error and the error was not brought to my attention by the several people who looked at the listing before you and passes on the obvious error listing. We seem to not be seeing this issue eye to eye so I'll contact E-Bay and see what the procedure is for this kind of thing. I've never had this type of thing happen before but I'll work hard to figure out the best course of action. Although I've never had this type of error before I have let other sellers know about a few obvious mistakes that would have cost them money. It's all about doing the "right" thing in life in my opinion.

Do you think I should just take the $35 hit and sell him the book since it was an error on my part? I've gone 7 years without a negative so maybe its time for my first one. I'm open to you opinions but I really can't believe the guy who has 1200 feedback would be such a jerk about it since its obviously an error. His response pretty much makes me think he knew it was a mistake.

I am sure there are dealers on here who lost a lot more than this due to listing errors; I know I have! Best to honor te sale, smile, learn, and move on!

As do many of us here. (thumbs u

In this exact instance though, cool needs to remain cool & honor the sale.

It will be $36 well spent.

That $36 isn't worth handling this particular transaction any differently. 2c

Agree.

(thumbs u