• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a mistake on E-Bay - need advice!

163 posts in this topic

While I agree that the "right" thing to do is to honor the sale, I don't get this attitude of someone making a mistake on a listing price and then I am going to hold them to that price no matter what. Personally, I have a hard time getting something on the cheap at the expense of someone else. However, I am also the type to honor the sale. $35 is a relatively cheap mistake to make.

Yeah, I agree with this - I think if I was the buyer, I wouldn't want to pay $35, but I wouldn't insist on sticking with the listed price. I'd probably look for some sizable discount in the middle.

You should honor the auction. The seller is right. This was on you this time.

This.

As a buyer, I would have understood and went along with your suggestion. But as seller. I would honor the sale as is.

It's only $35 bucks. What is your word worth?

My biggest complaint is I have had multiple buyers completely flake out and not buy a book and I don't even get to neg them. One guy even PMed me a said he made a mistake and would not pay so don't bother sending an invoice. It was a $7 book. But we have plenty of E-Bay sucks threads so I guess this will just be Andrew is a dumb- at time thread.

And it is for this reason that I am ok with a dealer on eBay reneging on a mispriced item.

This happened to me a while back. I had five copies of one book and listed them as BIN or Best Offer for $11.99. For some reason (not sure if it's a mistake on eBay's end or mine), it didn't give me the option of listing a "Quantity." When I got the notification that my auction ended with a BIN, I noticed there were no books left. That's when I realized my mistake.

I e-mailed the buyer and explained the situation. I told him if he understood, I would refund his money OR since it was my mistake I would ship him all the books and take the loss. He ended up letting me keep the money and only sending him two copies. I pretty much broke even after shipping, but positive feedback was left on both sides. It sucks that you got a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed as a buyer.

I have found sending a message like

Hello and thanks for the purchase. The list price was an error-it was supposed to be $35. I missed that and it is my fault. If you can find it in your heart to forgive this error and agree to a sales cancellation I would be very appreciative. Otherwise I will ship the book stat.

Have a great day'

Works 90% of the time in instances like this

Hello and thanks for the purchase. The list price was an error-it was supposed to be $35. I missed that and it is my fault. If you can find it in your heart to forgive this error and agree to a sales cancellation I would be very appreciative. Otherwise I will ship the book stat.

Have a great day'

You have made mistakes like this so many times that you are able to not only calculate a percentage of success but also a flat 90%?

Have a great day'

You have made mistakes like this so many times that you are able to not only calculate a percentage of success but also a flat 90%?

60percentofthetimeitworkseverytime.gif

I have scoliosis so I had a L2-T3 Harrington rod fusion. Bilateral rod placement.