• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I made a mistake on eBay as well (like 1Cool)

208 posts in this topic

Clearly the mistake made was starting this thread.

Lesson learned.

Brock,

not all comments were snarky or annoying. Lighten up and read just those more balanced. :)

The look at the bright side board member. lol

Nothing snarky or annoying was posted......well on second thought just the first post in this thread.

I could easily have made the mistake the buyer made. Once I saw the title and noted it was listed by a reputable seller, I would have had "9.8" in mind. Given the old label, it would be easy to overlook that it was actually a 9.6. On this type of auction -- rather than, say, a raw GA book -- I don't think many people bother to scroll down to see if there is any Q&A.

On the other hand, my take on GPA is that this would have been a very strong price, but not an impossible one. The most recent sale is low, but there is a sale for $169 just a month ago. The underbidder was at $175, although he too may have been confused about the grade.

Bottom line: I think the OP made two mistakes:

1. Not immediately acceding to the buyer's request to cancel the auction.

2. Starting this thread.

I think he succeeded in showing that he would love to squeeze every last cent out of every book he is attempting to sell.....and got his panties in a bunch because he could not MAKE the guy who bought it by mistake follow thur with his winning bid. Just one more guy NOT to buy from and avoid. :cloud9: Can we block sellers on EBay? hm

^^ You mean to say that cool books don't rule all??? :o

That's a myth.

Lesson learned.

Brock,

not all comments were snarky or annoying. Lighten up and read just those more balanced. :)

Not all but most. The first reply was enough.

Thanks for the nice replies.

If the first reply was enough, then why try and blame the buyer by subsequently posting their ID and asking people here to block them? 'I couldn't guilt the buyer into paying for my mistake, so I'll publicly attack and out him'. Shady.

Get out of it unscathed,wash your hands of the situation. (thumbs u

I may be wrong, but I thought buyers can still leave negative feedback even after a mutual cancellation :shrug:

If it's cancelled, they can't leave feedback at all. What buyers do to bend you over is to NOT cancel the transaction (it has to be mutual) leaving you holding the bag on your Final Value Fee AND they leave a neg.

There is only one way to avoid it, and you have to first file a NPB claim and try to force them to agree to the cancellation, or wait until Ebay refunds your FVF. If you attempt to cancel the transaction and the other party denies it - you leave yourself open for a pounding and no recourse to get your Ebay fees back. (I just went through this whole BS ordeal a few months ago and got screwed by a buyer who didn't pay - learning that you should never cancel a transaction if you feel you're dealing with a hostile buyer).

That is incorrect. Buyers can leave negative FB for up to 60 days after a cancel transaction, whether they agree to it, decline it, or ignore it. Negative FB can be removed by ebay if the buyer requested a cancel transaction through the ebay system (where they can read it and confirm it).

UID - Unpaid Item Dispute cases that are CLOSED are the only way a buyer cannot leave any FB at all. A buyer has the ability to leave any kind of FB while these cases are still open. The only way on ebay, for any types of cases, to eliminate a buyer's ability to leave FB is to have your settings automatically set to file UIDs for you. For example... if you have your settings to AUTOMATICALLY file a UID after the 4th day of nonpayment, the buyer cannot leave FB, even though the seller has to wait 4 more days before the UID is closed out. The buyer of course, can leave FB if he does pay for the item before the UID is closed out. Once a UID is closed out (no payment was ever made), the buyer can never leave FB for that item.

Therefore, the only times a seller should use a cancel transaction is if the buyer changed mind and requested it. Or when the seller made an error in listing (damaged book while packing, dog ate it, sold it elsewhere, no longer has it, whatever). And just pray the buyer understands the seller screwed up.

The first reply was enough.

Would have been an awfully short thread.

Here is a descriptive of all the scenerios....

Whenever an eBay buyer doesn’t pay there are basically 4 different actions that a seller can take. And always remember, no matter what, a seller can’t leave Negative or Neutral FB.

1. Seller Takes NO ACTION against the Buyer

Do you get your FVF back – No

Can you qualify for a “relist” credit - No

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Be Left – Yes

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Once Left be Removed for Reasons of Nonpayment – No

2. Seller Files a MUTUAL CANCELLATION against Buyer

Sometimes a buyer asks a seller to cancel the transaction which would then result in the buyer not receiving any adverse action on their account. A mutual cancellation means that the bidder does not receive a nonpaying bidder strike and eBay does not consider the buyer has done anything wrong. Often sellers will agree to a mutual cancellation because they are fearful that buyers will leave negative feedback if a seller reports them for nonpayment. Most of the time sellers think they are “protected” from negative feedback but they are not.

Do you get your FVF back – Yes [if the buyer agreed to the cancellation]

Can you qualify for a “relist” credit – Yes [if the buyer agreed to the cancellation]

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Once Left be Removed for Reasons of Nonpayment – No

What if the buyer doesn’t respond to the MC? - The seller can close the MC after 7 days if the buyer has not responded to the request. However keep in mind, the buyer still retains the right to leave FB, but you will get your FVF returned and the right to relist.

CAUTION: Keep in mind this is exactly what it is called a “MUTUAL” cancellation. If the buyer does not agree to the cancellation and responds to the email Ebay sends when you file for the cancellation telling them just that, you have a problem. You can’t touch this buyer now. Absolutely nothing you can do and if this buyer still does not pay even though they did not agree to the cancellation, there is NOTHING you can do. You can’t now go file a UID, it is not allowed. You can only file either for a cancellation or a UID, you can’t file for both. So with this situation:

Do you get your FVF back – No

Can you qualify for a “relist” credit – No

And just to add insult to injury – You do not get paid.

3. Seller Files Unpaid Item Dispute MANUALLY against Buyer

Do you get your FVF back – Yes

Can you qualify for a “relist” credit - Yes

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Be Left – Sometimes

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Once Left be Removed for Reasons of Nonpayment – Yes (at eBay’s discretion). But handled properly with Ebay, you can get it removed providing the UID was filed and closed properly for nonpayment.

4. Seller Files Unpaid Item Dispute AUTOMATICALLY through Unpaid Item Assistant against Buyer

Do you get your FVF back – Yes

Can you qualify for a “relist” credit – Yes

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Be Left – No (once the dispute has been OPENED)

Can Negative or Neutral Feedback Once Left be Removed for Reasons of Nonpayment – Yes (at eBay’s discretion), again handled properly this can be removed.

If a buyer ends up paying with an electronic payment method after the UPI Assistant opens a case then the buyer can leave negative feedback. [Caution: Ebay is not noted for sending out politically correct emails. Ebay’s emails may offend or just plain tick off your buyer which could result in payment and not so nice FB, so consider this option carefully and do what you think is best.

Note: Once you file a UID, stop all communication with your buyer. No invoices or anything. Ebay sends reminders to them. You do not want to encourage your buyer to communicate now. If you buyer does send you an email, then of course you need to respond appropriately.

just re-list the book and the next buyer can get the book. Or hold the book for 6 weeks and re-list the book as fresh. No harm done. You made an honest mistake and he made an honest mistake and they should both cancel out.

Added the following bidder to our block list:

comic-concollectibles

If someone can't be bothered by looking at scans/reading the auction description, then we don't need their business.

I recommend blocking the above individual

That's just plain wrong.

Have you tried Ebay on a mobile phone which many people use nowadays?

Plus if a title says CGC 9.8 why the need to look?

You listed it wrong. Cancel it per his request.

Why do so many have such a problem with owning up to their mistakes? (shrug)

Like the guy who bid on a comic without reading the description or looking at the scan?

Bazinga.jpg

Lesson learned.

Brock,

The look at the bright side board member. lol

Nothing snarky or annoying was posted......well on second thought just the first post in this thread.

Shut up, policeman! (:

Not looking at any particular bright side. Too many Snarks around here… lol

PP33_Torgo.jpg

Lesson learned.

Brock,

If you can't handle hearing opinions, don't start threads looking for opinions. Get a PM support group of like-minded individuals, and seek validation there.

Wash your hands.

Yes, seriously. You should have cancelled (not modified) the auction as soon as you saw the mistake. There is no amount of text you can add to alert a buyer to a posting error. This is eBay. Mutually agree not to do the deal and relist.

If you want to make a stand and get someone a well-deserved NPB wrist slap this auction is not the right choice.

Lesson learned.

Brock,

If you can't handle hearing opinions, don't start threads looking for opinions. Get a PM support group of like-minded individuals, and seek validation there.

Where do you sign up? I always wanted to be in a PM support group… Or even a PM group of like-minded individuals.

Looking at the actual auction again....seller and OP wrote....

We strive for and attain 100% customer service satisfaction!

An even bigger joke. :tonofbricks:lol

Oh...snap.

lol

Oh...snap.

lol

Should add an * and down below write...

Unless you buy a comic that I entered the wrong information for in the heading. Then try not to pay me. Then I will then attempt to drag your name thur the mud on a public message board about comics and post your user name for others to know what a bad user you are and block you. :facepalm:

You CANT make this stuff up. Pure comedy gold. lol

Oh...snap.

lol

Should add an * and down below write...

Unless you buy a comic that I entered the wrong information for in the heading. Then try not to pay me. Then I will then attempt to drag your name thur the mud on a public message board about comics and post your user name for others to know what a bad user you are and block you. :facepalm:

You CANT make this stuff up. Pure comedy gold. lol

doh!