• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I made a mistake on eBay as well (like 1Cool)

208 posts in this topic

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to block someone for sure, but perhaps not the one the OP intended.

Apparently the mistakes made on eBay are not exclusive to Ohio. I've made a mistake as well.

Quick backstory:

Listed an Incredible Hulk 340 CGC 9.6 last Sunday (to end this Sunday) on eBay. Accidentally put CGC 9.8 in the title. Everything else states CGC 9.6. I even had a nice eBay member alert me to this mistake and I added a comment after the auction had bids, since eBay will not allow editing once an auction has bids.

So I thought my bases were covered. It sells last night and immediately the winning bidder sends me the following message:

"Please cancel the transaction. Thought it was for 9.8. Didn't think to scan and read the bottom notes."

At that point, my blood pressure spikes and I am not happy with this. It sold for $176, which is strong for a 9.6 but well below a 9.8. The buyer is a reseller and thought he'd pick up a 9.8 for 30% less than FMV. That's fine to look for good deals and all...but I was not pleased when I received his message.

We have traded a few messages (he's getting heated) as I don't want to cancel the transaction...I'd rather give him a NPB strike as I firmly believe I did everything I could to communicate the mistake.

At this point, he's told me I have 24 hours to offer a mutual cancellation (which being very stubborn, I don't want to do) and he's threatened negative feedback.

Should I just wash my hands of this guy or stick him with a NPB strike (which I really wanna do)? 99% sure what the masses will say....but I'm curious about that and do the boards feel I did everything I could to communicate that it was not a 9.8?

Link to auction

So you want to force a buyer to pay? interesting.

If someone asks you to cancel the transaction, I usually go ahead and comply, because if you force this guy to pay for this book - you're going to get negative feedback from him.

I think the omis is on you for not cancelling the auction when you saw the mistake. The discrepancy in price of 9.6 and 9.8 is too big to allow that auction to stay live. 2c

Be careful - if things have gotten heated and he's feeling pissed off, he could just deny the transaction and leave you negative feedback anyway. He's got the position here, he could hang you up on a $176 sale AND leave negative feedback that you could spend time trying to reverse.

Regardless of what people say, just asking Ebay to remove negative feedback, despite proof or "negative feedback bribery" - they don't always do it. I think the lesson to learn is that if there is a mistake in the listing, cancel the auction, fix it and relist.

^^

Still unclear why the auction continued after the mistake was brought to the OP's attention from a separate eBay user???

Be careful - if things have gotten heated and he's feeling pissed off, he could just deny the transaction and leave you negative feedback anyway. He's got the position here, he could hang you up on a $176 sale AND leave negative feedback that you could spend time trying to reverse.

Regardless of what people say, just asking Ebay to remove negative feedback, despite proof or "negative feedback bribery" - they don't always do it. I think the lesson to learn is that if there is a mistake in the listing, cancel the auction, fix it and relist.

^^

Still unclear why the auction continued after the mistake was brought to the OP's attention from a separate eBay user???

Ahhh...if only common sense were common.

^^

Ahhh...if only common sense were common.

And bacon could fly

Upon further review... this thread does have it's fair share of solid advice, snarkiness and comedic gold. (thumbs u

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to block someone for sure, but perhaps not the one the OP intended.

THIS! I gotta say, the whole blocking the bidder bit is a b* move in my book. There are some truly awful buyers lurking on eBay but in this situation, the block and subsequent public shaming is just adding insult to injury.

2c

Guess this thread didn't work out for you Brock. :eek:

If his first post is any indication, he already knew that. He said he was sure what 99% of "the masses" would say. (shrug)

That's the thing about creating threads....you can't control them once they are set loose on the boards.

9ggjc.jpg

Guess this thread didn't work out for you Brock. :eek:

If his first post is any indication, he already knew that. He said he was sure what 99% of "the masses" would say. (shrug)

Strange how the masses thought that blaming the buyer for his mistake was wrong and blatantly self serving.

I guess it's good that he realized that and owned it... lol ... of course he didn't.