• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Launches Mobile Cert Verification

74 posts in this topic

I admit to not understanding the value of a mobile method for verifying certification. When at a show or comic store, being able to look at slabs provides all the verification needed. When at home, the desktop, notebook or pad suffices. When will this be especially useful?

Very good point, surprised this was not brought up sooner.

I admit to not understanding the value of a mobile method for verifying certification. When at a show or comic store, being able to look at slabs provides all the verification needed. When at home, the desktop, notebook or pad suffices. When will this be especially useful?

Not all defects are visible through the holder.

If they had a PR person they would have realized this was not news worthy. How many people have phones that can view the desktop site and don't need a mobile site nowadays?

Good point although they could improve the performance and readability on a tiny smart phone or tablet. I think the idea of a front or PR person is on target. But perhaps not just a mouthpiece - someone with knowledge about the hobby and possibly a reputation as someone who knows his stuff. Borock and Haspel had that and CGC thrived under their stewardship. There's definitely someone out there that could put this ship back on track to being a partner to serious comic collectors.

I also agree that they missed the mark announcing something no one really cared about - whereas the notes, which they continue to extort money from us to see - is what we really want. It's not so much the fact they charge for it to me - although I don't like that nor think its fair considering what we already pay for grading - its how they've chosen to do it - it's so silly really. Everything else is available at our fingertips online. Verification, census, registry, you name it - but when we want to buy a book that is graded we have to send them money and wait for them to get back (in the office) and process the transaction and email the notes to the customer. How would this serve me say on a Saturday on a convention floor? It wouldn't. So don't give me access to the verification without the notes - it's really pointless.

The problem is that CGC has tasted the nectar of the revenue from these notes - and probably is addicted and can't stop itself from sipping at the well. So I say, charge a little more for a subscription that includes access to the ONLINE database of notes.

A good leader and spokesperson would probably have identified that this announcement would not be embraced, as CGC thought it would, and would only serve to (once again) open the sore of pay-per-view notes.

Set our notes free! :acclaim:

Exactly why we need the notes! (shrug)

"So I say, charge a little more for a subscription that includes access to the ONLINE database of notes"

+1 (thumbs u

. . . I probably would want to know the graders notes on every book I own!

Think about how much that could promote loyalty to CGC as every owner of CGC books who cares would suddenly be able to access a history of the books they own in CGC slabs. What other grading company could do that - can make that claim. And considering there are literally a million books sitting in CGC slabs in collections everywhere.

Sounds like a competition-killing idea to me. ;)

Sorry, but what does certification verification have to do with defects?

I wondered this as well, also, how is this different than accessing the website from your phone? I have a hot link on my home screen will an app make it easier?

I posted this in the thread about ordering graders notes - take a look CGC

So you think getting paid for them has inspired them to write more about the book in the notes?

I think if notes were provided with standard submissions - maybe a small fee maybe not (I mean they already added a $5 handling charge). The result is you might see sellers include them with the books they sell - or buyers requesting them. If they're not available (pre-notes books) the potential buyer can pay a fee to unlock the notes (online).

I see that as a compromise where both parties benefit, instead of the lopsided arrangement we currently have. CGC shows some kindness, and still have the opportunity to pick up revenue from people who need to buy a copy.

And by making it a part of the original grading process, you raise awareness and this promotes the resource as well as how truly great a CGC certification is now that it also includes details about what's inside the slab that can't be seen.

I think CGC should welcome this kind of advice. In my business, advertising, we pay people to attend focus groups to give us feedback like this.

The passion us collectors have for our hobby drives us to give you feedback for free - that we may help improve the products we rely on from you.

I think that the price paid for grading is VERY fair, IF there is more information

available than just a number. Gee whiz, maybe providing service for the income

is old fashioned.