• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT VOL. 2 #6

52 posts in this topic

Publishers changed the format in the late 50's-early 60's to get around the comics code. Marvel embraced the tactic in the 70's to market edgier stories to an older audience. The creators were the same, Claremont Byrne and Austin first teamed up to do Starlord in the mags and the list goes on. These are not text or photo magazines, they are panel comics only bigger, they are in continuity for the most part. The stories are better and the art translates better to a larger black and white format. In my view the big difference between the magazine sized comics and traditional comic size is that the magazines are much better 2c Actually, the magazines are about the same proportion larger than golden age comics as the current books are smaller; would that mean that moderns aren't comics? I could live with that :preach:

In order to get CGC to grade marvel preview 4, you have choose a "magazine format," on the order form, therefore similar, but not the same as a comic book. It's true the comic book itself has evolved through golden, silver, bronze ages... But I think there is a huge difference in the actual item vs. semantics, and calling it comic magazine, etc. doesn't mean anything to me as a collector.

On the other hand, finding a first appearance of a character in the comic book format that I collect is a lot of fun...

People are getting hung up on formats. What they fail to realize is that comic books were referred to by publishers for decades as comic magazines. The idea that MS V2 #6 is the first appearance of anything is laughable. However, that likely will have little effect on demand and the market for the comic may indeed blow up.

You just contradicted yourself in saying that it's a comic "magazine" which I would be different than a comic "book", no?

So we should start ignoring the caption at the top of this book? Is this a comic or a magazine? :)

4e3lPV.jpg

In order to get CGC to grade marvel preview 4, you have choose a "magazine format," on the order form, therefore similar, but not the same as a comic book. It's true the comic book itself has evolved through golden, silver, bronze ages... But I think there is a huge difference in the actual item vs. semantics, and calling it comic magazine, etc. doesn't mean anything to me as a collector.

On the other hand, finding a first appearance of a character in the comic book format that I collect is a lot of fun...

The format has been influent to you in USA because it has become the main format (leaving aside the syndicated strips production), but otherwise they are comics in whatever format they are published.

Here in Italy we had a tabloid size (or larger) format which dominated for about twenty years, then we had a switch to pocket sized formats (there are reasons for this) but we have always had any kind of format without even thinking about it. Some like best a format, others another format, but this hardly prevents collecting.

that's cool, to each his own. But it's not the first appearence, just the first appearence in standard comic book size. I don't discriminate by size in my collection so I'm not particularly interested in the first appearence in a book of a certain size but I don't have a problem if others want to pursue those.

People are getting hung up on formats. What they fail to realize is that comic books were referred to by publishers for decades as comic magazines. The idea that MS V2 #6 is the first appearance of anything is laughable. However, that likely will have little effect on demand and the market for the comic may indeed blow up.

You just contradicted yourself in saying that it's a comic "magazine" which I would be different than a comic "book", no?

So we should start ignoring the caption at the top of this book? Is this a comic or a magazine? :)

4e3lPV.jpg

Why it's the World's Greatest Comic Magazine! Of Course! (thumbs u

that's cool, to each his own. But it's not the first appearence, just the first appearence in standard comic book size. I don't discriminate by size in my collection so I'm not particularly interested in the first appearence in a book of a certain size but I don't have a problem if others want to pursue those.

How far does your resolve on this topic of first appearances and formats go Mike? Is it only size? Does the interior of magazines have to conform to some comic book type of criteria, in order to count? Does it just have to have pictures... or more , including word bubbles etc. ?

I'm pretty sure Conan the Barbarian appeared and was pictured at least a couple of years Decades before 1970..... ;)

Anyhow, my take, which is of course just an opinion like everyone else's.

Books, Magazines and Comics are three different things. Traditionally , Magazines even by publishers of comics, were generally not collected or thought about in the same way.

How far does your resolve on this topic of first appearances and formats go Mike? Is it only size? Does the interior of magazines have to conform to some comic book type of criteria, in order to count? Does it just have to have pictures... or more , including word bubbles etc. ?

I'm pretty sure Conan the Barbarian appeared and was pictured at least a couple of years Decades before 1970..... ;)

Books, Magazines and Comics are three different things. Traditionally , Magazines even by publishers of comics, were generally not collected or thought about in the same way.

Conan actually appeared in comic books before Marvel's Conan 1 came along. They were not published in the US however.

Conan actually appeared in comic books before Marvel's Conan 1 came along. They were not published in the US however.

Woah, never knew that, link?