• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detailed new account of the theft and recovery of Nic Cage's Action #1

33 posts in this topic

Funny that Cage wanted the hierloom returned to his family...so he could promptly auction it off. I wonder what the amount of the insurance company settlement was and what he had to pay them to get it back?

I'm sure his insurance pay out years ago was a less than half of what it is worth today.

Funny that Cage wanted the hierloom returned to his family...so he could promptly auction it off. I wonder what the amount of the insurance company settlement was and what he had to pay them to get it back?

I'm sure his insurance pay out years ago was a less than half of what it is worth today.

Shame he couldn't've waited.

Maybe I'm not following but I don't think its a matter of not waiting. I think the gist is:

He got a payout say 10 years ago for say 500k. Fast forward to 1-2 years ago, the book is found, he gives the money back (plus interest no doubt), got the book back.

Sold the book for say 1.8 net of fees.

He won to the tune of 1.3m which was prob. used to repay IRS debt.

(ie returning the payout got the property returned to him and he cashed in on the appreciation)

Maybe I'm not following but I don't think its a matter of not waiting. I think the gist is:

He got a payout say 10 years ago for say 500k. Fast forward to 1-2 years ago, the book is found, he gives the money back (plus interest no doubt), got the book back.

(ie returning the payout got the property returned to him and he cashed in on the appreciation)

Right. Cage was the seller when the book went for $2.16 mill. Would it necessarily sell for a higher price today? hm

+1, so much for the treasured heirloom. He could have worked out something with the IRS if he really wanted to keep that particular book.

+1, so much for the treasured heirloom. He could have worked out something with the IRS if he really wanted to keep that particular book.

I suspect his debt situation in general was much greater than what he owed to the IRS. A quick Google search and it outlines how he could have blown through a $150M fortune. :o

Was this Wonder Woman panel really in a comic?

147991.jpg.43d5d11ab61fd27ecb7428c98eb9c8ea.jpg

Looks legit to me but I'd guess 'made love' should be interpreted as 'courted.'

Meanings change. Exhibit 1a - Gay Comics.

Or kissed or sweet talked. In 1930s and 1940s movies, people often speak of "making love" in circumstances where the production code would never have approved the dialog if the meaning was "had sex."

Changing meaning of "gay" is a good one. Or the recent discussion of the Batman story "The Joker's Boner," where "boner" was a common synonym at that time for blunder or mistake.

He actually benefitted from the book being stolen and sitting in a storage shed for a decade...he probably would've sold it far sooner.

I would imagine the value of the book had increased since it was stolen. It would make sense for Cage to buy the book for the insurance claim and then put it in an auction.