• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Appreciation FREE one day show -- Aug 9th

29 posts in this topic

Facebook says the show will have 250 booths, be staged only on the first floor (no fighting that godforsaken escalator), and will have local artists and media guests. We're trying to see about a booth, but so far they aren't returning e-mails...

Just got home...... Show was relatively busy for us. Others reported slow sales. Since it was free admission, there were a lot of tire kickers, but we also had some nice sales. Seemed like there were some first time comic readers to the room to see what comics were all about which was good. It felt like there were many more comics dealers in this show which was positive, and there were some nice books in the room, but sometimes you had to dig. Had a "flea market" corset/leather gauntlet/medieval dress dealer behind my booth that commented that he "didn't even make gas money" from this show. Maybe we'll start to see these shows become more comic centric as the flea market guys become less profitable due to poor sales..... I can dream!

Here is the back of the Irving Convention Center. It looks like a giant Sandcrawler (at least to me). Not so much from this angle, but definitely from the front.

ICC.JPG

Our booth, being manned by my brother (jaster-mereel).

MLC.JPG

My one purchase of the show, for $5. Couldn't pass this one up, I'd never seen these before and I love obscure 70s and 80s Spider-man toys.

HeroHead.JPG

All in all it was a fun show that we would probably do again. We sold predominantly material in the $25-35 range off the wall, though we did have folks look at some of the other material too. The biggest book we sold was a VG DD #3 marked at $100 that sold as part of a package deal with a mid-grade ASM #19. Another notable sale was a New 52 Batman #1 for $90 as part of another package deal. Otherwise it was predominantly dollar books and stuff like New 52 #1s off the wall. We had a good time, and the crowd was steady and was spending (small to moderate amounts of) money. The folks attending seemed to be enjoying themselves too. The larger dealers we talked to seemed less impressed with the show, which is really unfortunate. We will see if they decide to do another one of these, and if they change up the format at all. Turning it into a two day show would be helpful for those of us who have to travel a bit to get there.

Got to meet Josh and his wife from In A Pickle Comics and EvilAwd and caught up with Bubbagump (Rick), Corey (funnybooks1969 here, I think), Boyd from Black Cat (bcc on the boards), and Andy and Justin from Duncanville Books. Looking forward to seeing many of them again in Chicago in a couple of weeks!

EDIT: From their Facebook page:

DCCFB.jpg