• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading but not Selling

37 posts in this topic

The books I have graded I don't intend to sell. My goal is to have all my expensive books graded so if I were to pass away before my wife than she would know which books are the valuable ones and would also make them easier for her to sell. But I also like the way my books look in the CGC case. I also feel they are better protected as long as I don't shake the case .

Once it's in plastic, it has a leveraged price tag on it. ;)

I agree, the more valuable your keys get, more important it is to grade them. Makes negotiations easier.

i grade keepers and selling (more keepers)

had a dealer try to say some books aren't worth it bc its a waste at this point (giant size chillers 1 NM was the book we were talking about).......my responce was bc it's NM i'm better off getting it graded now while i don't have to worry about money then leaveing money on the table when i need money if i ever have to sell

I don't get anything graded.

I buy slabs, and if the books are keepers, I will crack them out.

Since my collection is small, I get any SA books graded. I like have a graded collection, plus if there ever comes a time when I have to sell, it'll be easier.

And it could also go up (or down) in value. If I have a book I think is a 4.0, but I send it off and it comes back a 5.0, the value is higher than if I kept and sold it raw.

I am in the same boat as many of you who buy graded without the intent of selling. I feel they are better protected, look better, and if anything were to happen to me my wife would be able to get a fair price for them. Also the money I spend on graded comics keeps my collection from growing out of control... :whistle:

I got some of my keys done for insurance purposes. Telling the insurance company "seriously, it's a really nice comic so it's worth a pantload" is not quite as effective as telling them "it's a CGC 3.0, which has an established FMV that is easily verifiable on GPA."

From what I gather, I'm in a minority demographic who grade comics without the intent to sell them. I personally like the case and am of the opinion they present better. Also if and when I do sell them, it's that much easier.

Regardless, are there others out there like me? Why do you get your books graded, which books do you get graded?

Setting the goal is to complete the collection. Keep them for a while as the investment until you are ready to unleash them for the retirement, home improvement or college funds as you can name it.

I have enjoyed the collection until I am ready to let it go. It's good thing that I don't have the emotional attachment upon the collection.

I keep alot of my graded books, but in order to afford the hobby I do have to grade my fare share of books strictly for flipping.

I've pretty much had to sell all my graded keys lately to help pay for my engagement/wedding.

spurs are going to lose.

I've only had a few books graded myself (10 or so). Never had any graded for the sole purpose of selling. I've ended up selling a few of them over the years. I guess when/if the time comes, they should be easier to sell.

I prefer to buy graded books, but I also buy a lot of raw books too. One thing I really like about slabs is that I do like to show my books to people. I have a much better peace of mind handing a slabbed book to someone to look at vs a raw book. I wouldn't have any problem handing anyone here a raw book to look at, but I don't have a whole lot of comic geek types in my daily life. It was always nerve wracking when people would ask to see a book.

I get a bunch of stuff graded that I intend on flipping in order to pay for grading books I want to keep. The ones I keep are part of my original collection so if they don't make "the grade" then I flip them as well and work on upgrading the books.

From what I gather, I'm in a minority demographic who grade comics without the intent to sell them. I personally like the case and am of the opinion they present better. Also if and when I do sell them, it's that much easier.

Regardless, are there others out there like me? Why do you get your books graded, which books do you get graded?

You are not in the minority at all. I personally love the way books look Slabbed. Especially the key books or cgc SS. I also like that the case protects the book and preserves it. I grade my comics to keep mostly and I hardly ever sell unless I get an upgrade or I need the money.

Unless it's an SS book, I generally keep my keepers as ungraded, and I usually grade stuff that I intend to sell.

I don't grade my keepers because it would cost too damn much.

X2

Yes, I am one. To protect, ensure no restoration and know exactly what grade (which helps me grade the rest of my collection) and just my keys. Can't afford to get all of them graded yet but that's the ultimate goal. If I'm selling, it's because I want bigger keys, so that's an additional reason to slab.

The books I have graded, I don't intend to sell. My goal is to have all my expensive books graded so if I were to pass away before my wife than she would know which books are the valuable ones and would also make them easier for her to sell. But I also like the way my books look in the CGC case. I also feel they are better protected as long as I don't shake the case .

I feel the same way but I told my wife about it and she said, "I'd probably just give your collection to the next guy" (in all seriousness). So I'll be willing them to my kids. Hopefully someone will have the common sense to either enjoy them or sell them... Not husband 2.0 though. He'll get everything else already.

Just to clarify, I typically have a $ 'value' amount in mind before I send in for grading. I have a bunch that just wouldn't make sense to grade...